Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > window.focus() brings source code into focus

window.focus() brings source code into focus

Spizzat2

I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
for it?
Thanks in advance.

Spizzat2

On Jan 8, 1:20 pm, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Spizzat2 said the following on 1/8/2008 9:02 AM:
>
> > I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
> > coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
> > set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
> > to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
> > Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
> > just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
> > which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
> > by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
> > open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
> > everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
> > issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
> > Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
> > for it?
> > Thanks in advance.

> When you blur the window, in Windows, it will go to the next application
> in the active list. Alt-Tab and you will find your source window the
> next "in line". It isn't explicitly picking the source code window to go
> to, it just happens to be the next in line.
>
> Try focusing an element in the page and then blur that element instead
> of the window.
>
> --
> Randy
> Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.

Spizzat2

On Jan 9, 9:27 am, Spizzat2 <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> On Jan 8, 1:20 pm, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>

> > Spizzat2 said the following on 1/8/2008 9:02 AM:

> > > I'm trying to figure out a workaround to a minor annoyance that I'm
> > > coming up with while coding a site. I've got some keyboard shortcuts
> > > set up for the site via javascript, and when I press escape, it's set
> > > to hide several divs on the page, and remove focus from a link.
> > > Unfortunately, I don't know which link will have focus, so I can't
> > > just blur a particular element (that I'm aware of) since I won't know
> > > which element it is. I got it working by using window.blur() followed
> > > by window.focus(). The problem is that if I have a source code window
> > > open, the window.focus() function brings the source code on top of
> > > everything else and it takes focus. I don't see this being a huge
> > > issue for users, but it's a real pain while I'm developing the site.
> > > Does anyone know why it does this, and, more importantly, a workaround
> > > for it?
> > > Thanks in advance.

> > When you blur the window, in Windows, it will go to the next application
> > in the active list. Alt-Tab and you will find your source window the
> > next "in line". It isn't explicitly picking the source code window to go
> > to, it just happens to be the next in line.

> > Try focusing an element in the page and then blur that element instead
> > of the window.

> > --
> > Randy
> > Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
> > comp.lang.javascript FAQ -http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html
> > Javascript Best Practices -http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/

> It still brings up the source code window regardless of source code's
> position in the Alt-Tab list, but thanks for the potential solution.
> I'll give it a shot and see how it works for my situation.

Well, I got a solution that works using your method, so thank you for
that. I'm still confused about the cause of the problem, though. I
wonder if the source code page is considered a child window of the
parent, so when it brings it into focus, it just grabs the child-most
window (if that makes any sense).
Oh well, it works. I'm happy.