Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > newby could use a little help

newby could use a little help

Leslie Cox

Hi I wonder if anyone could shed some light on what I need to do with this
code I have tried everything I know and come up blank.

**Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 6, frame=115:Line 1: ')' or ','
expected

getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");

Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

^
> Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

Since ActionScript is an ECMAScript implementation, the above is
syntactically incorrect. If "_self" is to be the second argument
to getURL(), you will have to delimit it with a comma:

getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Randy Webb wrote:
> Leslie Cox said the following on 11/22/2007 12:22 PM:
>> Hi I wonder if anyone could shed some light on what I need to do with this
>> code I have tried everything I know and come up blank.
>>
>> **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 6, frame=115:Line 1: ')' or ','
>> expected
>>
>> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");
>>
>> Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

> Hmmm. Maybe you should try a Flash oriented group since ActionScript is
> Flash.

ActionScript is _not_ Flash, it is the ECMAScript implementation used *in*
Flash. And as such, plain ActionScript code is on-topic here; at least it
should be.

PointedEars

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Leslie Cox wrote:
>> **Error** Scene=Scene 1, layer=Layer 6, frame=115:Line 1: ')' or ','
>> expected
>>
>> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php" "_self");

> ^
>> Total ActionScript Errors: 1 Reported Errors: 1

> Since ActionScript is an ECMAScript implementation, the above is
> syntactically incorrect. If "_self" is to be the second argument
> to getURL(), you will have to delimit it with a comma:
>
> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

And don't forget the enclosing quotes:

getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

PointedEars

Kailash Nadh

You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

should be

getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

Regards,
Kailash Nadh
http://kailashnadh.name

Evertjan.

Kailash Nadh wrote on 26 nov 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");
>
> should be
>
> getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

What and whom are you responding on?

[please always quote on usenet]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Kailash Nadh wrote:
> You are missing the first quote (just before http://)
> getURL(http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");
>
> should be
>
> getURL("http://www.somestore.com/index.php", "_self");

No, I don't. If you were not a Googlot who did not know the first
thing about Usenet, you would have replied and quoted properly which
in this case would have meant not to post at all since I had already
posted that correction (and you mindlessly replied to it with the
above repetition of it.)

PointedEars
--
realism: HTML 4.01 Strict
evangelism: XHTML 1.0 Strict

Evertjan.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote on 27 nov 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> Would you care to share what you think a "Googlot" is?

> That's an expression (from de.ALL) for "Google (Groups) idiot"

No need to call someone an idiot, your English spacing overshoots.

Googlot = "Google monoglot",
someone that is not up to a decent news client.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mon, 26 Nov 2007 20:34:53, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
>you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
>pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
>for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

It may be Swiss : "Hilfe für Kinder im Kongo".

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20 ; WinXP.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Randy Webb wrote:
> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn said the following on 11/26/2007 8:05 PM:
>> Randy Webb wrote:
>>> Would you care to share what you think a "Googlot" is?

>> That's an expression (from de.ALL) for "Google (Groups) idiot"

> Maybe you can help me with another word then. It is harder now, but, if
> you search Google for the word "Hikk", it will come up with German
> pages. Can you tell me what it means in German? I have a meaning for it
> for myself, I am just curious what it means in German.

At least it is not a proper word in standard written German (although it
might be in one of the various dialects). The first ten Google results
refer to it as an acronym for the name of a charity organization (HIKK --
[de] Hilfe für Kinder im Kongo -- [en] Help for Children in Congo), an
abbreviation for the city of Hikkaduwa (98 km south of Colombo, Sri Lanka),
and an acronym for a conference about cooperation between
universities/technical colleges and the industry in Austria ([de] HIKK --
Hochschul-/Industriekooperations-Konferenz). I also now it as a word for
the sound one makes when having a hiccup

Please ask further such questions in the appropriate newsgroup (you may try
de.etc.sprache.deutsch) or via private e-mail.

F'up2 poster

PointedEars