Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > referencing assembly in GAC

referencing assembly in GAC

Rod Snyder

I have a dll that I want to reference in various projects; I have it
strongly named and used the gacutil to put it in the GAC. I can browse to
the assembly directory and see the dll, but in Visual Studio, when I use the
add reference dialog box, the assembly doesn't appear. I've tried searching
and adding a key to the registry to point to the directory but it still
doesn't appear.

Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Rod

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Rod,

During development, such as getting IntelliSense support, you should
reference a copy that you put in another common directory or in each
project's BIN directory. At runtime, .NET will use the version in the GAC.

The GAC may look like a regular folder but it doesn't always act like one.

Ken

"Rod Snyder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:e4gY$(E-Mail Removed)...
>I have a dll that I want to reference in various projects; I have it
> strongly named and used the gacutil to put it in the GAC. I can browse to
> the assembly directory and see the dll, but in Visual Studio, when I use
> the
> add reference dialog box, the assembly doesn't appear. I've tried
> searching
> and adding a key to the registry to point to the directory but it still
> doesn't appear.
>
> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>
> Rod

Rod Snyder

Ken:
Thanks for the response. This does help. I was able to get it strongly named
and into the gac using the gacutil.exe. However, what is the preferred way
of handling this on a production server where I don't have the sdk.

Rod

"Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Rod,
>
> During development, such as getting IntelliSense support, you should
> reference a copy that you put in another common directory or in each
> project's BIN directory. At runtime, .NET will use the version in the GAC.
>
> The GAC may look like a regular folder but it doesn't always act like one.
>
> Ken
>
> "Rod Snyder" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:e4gY$(E-Mail Removed)...
>>I have a dll that I want to reference in various projects; I have it
>> strongly named and used the gacutil to put it in the GAC. I can browse to
>> the assembly directory and see the dll, but in Visual Studio, when I use
>> the
>> add reference dialog box, the assembly doesn't appear. I've tried
>> searching
>> and adding a key to the registry to point to the directory but it still
>> doesn't appear.
>>
>> Any advice or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
>>
>> Rod

Ken Cox [Microsoft MVP]

Hi Rod,

On a production server, you should be able to copy a strong-named assembly
into the GAC using Windows Explorer. Most good setup kits also do an
installation into the GAC.