Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

IE cannot open the Internet site ... Operation aborted

Jonathan N. Little

Mika wrote:

> Just as a point of interest, we chose HTML and j/s as the ability to add
> affiliates' HTML and j/s 'eposters' to shop windows, draw imagemaps around
> shop doors, and regularly update links etc. was much more straightforward if
> using the same language the actual links use.
>
> Also, loading the whole street first using Flash would have been necessary,
> thus taking longer.

No at Flash expert, maybe Travis can offer more precise info, but it is
my understanding that Flash can do sequential loading and that it would
not be necessary to load the whole shabang.

> If you notice at Oxford Street for example, it loads
> each street 1 chunk ahead of where you are walking, and only once you walk
> towards it. This appears seamless, but it is constantly loading and
> unloading image blocks from memory - so it only ever loads what it needs to.
> It's quite efficient and we're quite proud of the j/s code we developed
> which interacts with the Google Maps interface. Getting Google Maps and all
> affiliate links and banners to interact with Flash would *not*, we feel,
> have been 'far better' Hope you can agree now we've clarified.

Actually no I have no idea since I am stuck on dialup a webpage of a
*mere* 5-6mb is not quite accessible...

--
Take care,

Jonathan
-------------------
LITTLE WORKS STUDIO
http://www.LittleWorksStudio.com

Jeff North

On Sun, 18 Nov 2007 15:15:41 GMT, in comp.lang.javascript "Mika"
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<xGY%i.49525$(E-Mail Removed) k> wrote:

>| "Jeff North" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>| > On Fri, 16 Nov 2007 18:12:37 GMT, in comp.lang.javascript "Mika"
>| > <(E-Mail Removed)>

[snip]

>| >>|

[snip]

>| > I'd fix up the errors/warnings within the html first.
>| > -----------------------------------------------------
>| > Result: 0 errors / 139 warnings

[snip]

>| Thanks. There are no "errors" that we know of or can see, although there
>| are some warnings which do not affect the end result so can be ignored.
>|
>| However can you suggest what the correct Doctype string should be if not the
>| current one?:
>|
>| <!DOCTYPE html PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD XHTML 1.0 Transitional//EN"
>| "http://www.w3.org/TR/xhtml1/DTD/xhtml1-transitional.dtd">
>| <head>

Don't use XHTML - http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
That would solve some of the problems.

If you are using Firefox then download the HTML Validator by Marc
Gueury, Web Developer by Chris Pederick and Firebug by Joe Hewitt
plugins. These 3 plugins are invaluable, IMHO, to assist in the
development of any website.

The problems that needs fixing are:
line 30 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected <head>: you've got 2
head tags on the page
Don't use the <font> tag it's been deprecated.
Don't allow Dreamweaver to set the styling names otherwise all sorts
of weird and wonderful things can occur. For example:

..style1, .style13, .style2 {
color: #0054C7;
}
..style2 {
color: #000000;
color: #0054C7;
font-family: Tahoma;
font-size: 11px;
margin-top: 4px;
}
..style2 {
color: #000000;
}
..style2, .style45 {
color: #000000;
}

a {
color: #0000FF;
}
a {
color: #FFFFFF;
color: #0000FF;
}
a, .style19, a {
color: #FFFFFF;
}

td {
color: #000000 padding: 0;
}
td {
color: #000000 color:#000 padding: 0;
}

The following items have errors:
..fill {
text-alight: right; --> should be align not alight
}
..style66 {
font-size: 1.51232e+034;
}
..style69 {
font-size: 1.51232e+034;
}
..style70 {
font-size: 1.51232e+034;
}
-- -------------------------------------------------------------
http://www.velocityreviews.com/forums/(E-Mail Removed) : Remove your pants to reply
-- -------------------------------------------------------------

Mika

"Jeff North" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> Don't use XHTML - http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
> That would solve some of the problems.

Thanks, have changed to loose HTML, although the problem with the IE bug is
already fixed.

> If you are using Firefox then download the HTML Validator by Marc
> Gueury, Web Developer by Chris Pederick and Firebug by Joe Hewitt
> plugins. These 3 plugins are invaluable, IMHO, to assist in the
> development of any website.
>
> The problems that needs fixing are:
> line 30 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected <head>: you've got 2
> head tags on the page

This is actually because SSI is including a top and bottom border, which
have their own <head> tags, so it appears more than once. Strange I know
but that's how it seems to do it.

Thanks for the other tips.

Mika

"Jeff North" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> The following items have errors:
> .fill {
> text-alight: right; --> should be align not alight

Where on earth did you find that? Can't see it anywhere on the site and
have done a search operation too. :-S

Jeff North

On Mon, 19 Nov 2007 10:52:54 GMT, in comp.lang.javascript "Mika"
<(E-Mail Removed)>
<aWd0j.49941$(E-Mail Removed) k> wrote:

>| "Jeff North" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>| news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>|
>| > The following items have errors:
>| > .fill {
>| > text-alight: right; --> should be align not alight
>|
>| Where on earth did you find that? Can't see it anywhere on the site and
>| have done a search operation too. :-S

It's not one of yours:
http://imawow.weather.com/web/common...esheet/wow.css
-- -------------------------------------------------------------
(E-Mail Removed) : Remove your pants to reply
-- -------------------------------------------------------------

Adrienne Boswell

Gazing into my crystal ball I observed "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> writing in
news:rHd0j.49933$(E-Mail Removed) .uk:

>> The problems that needs fixing are:
>> line 30 column 1 - Warning: discarding unexpected <head>: you've got
>> 2 head tags on the page

> This is actually because SSI is including a top and bottom border,
> which have their own <head> tags, so it appears more than once.
> Strange I know but that's how it seems to do it.

Then change the include files so that content isn't in there anymore.
This is how I usually structure these things (ASP):

<% option explicit
thispage = "" 'the title of the page
thisurl = "" 'the page url
%>
<!--#include file="linkrel.asp"-->

Linkrel has the following structure:
Doctype
HTML
Beginning of Head
Title (uses the thispage variable)
Meta information (also uses thispage variable)
Stylesheet link
External js
Opens connection to the db
Include for master functions used throughout the site
then...

</head>
<!--#include file="h1_inc.asp"-->
h1_inc uses thispage variable eg:
<h1><%=thispage%></h1>

then...
<!--#include file="nav_inc.asp"-->
nav_inc has navigation and uses thisurl to determine if the
link should use the .thispage class.

then...
Page content and other stuff

then...
<!--include file="footer_inc.asp"-->
footer_inc has copyright, legalese, etc., and links to less used
document, eg. privacy and accessibility statements, closes connection to
the db
and...

--
Adrienne Boswell at Home
Arbpen Web Site Design Services

Mika

"Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
newsEY%i.49522$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...

> "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news4l%i.48642$(E-Mail Removed) .uk...
>> Hello, we understand you guys may be able to help.
>>
>> We have a page which has been working great for over a year and gets many
>> hits. However recently something got changed that we cannot seem to
>> find, and now *sometimes* if you refresh the page (generally while it is
>> still loading) in IE7, we get the popup window error:
>>
>> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
>> Operation aborted
>>
>> Here is an example of the page in question:
>> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr [broadband recommended]
>>
>> We appreciate you may have other comments on the site such as the size of
>> the pages, however we are not looking to change that at present, with
>> faster broadband becoming more abundant. Search engine listings alert
>> the user that broadband is recommended for this technology.
>>
>> As we said, the site worked great, but for this unknown reason now needs
>> some sort of a tweak to fix. The changes we made before it happened were
>> related to the body tag but they have been completely undone yet the
>> issue remains :-S
>>
>> Thanks in advance to anyone able to find the cure for us to test.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Mika @ SHS.com

> Well we just restored a backup of the site and noted that we had removed
> the following apparently redundant CSS:

> .style1 {
> text-align: left;
> }
> .style32 {
> text-align: center;
> }
> .style38 {
> text-align: center;
> }
> .style39 {
> color: #000000;
> }
>
> Reinstating this seems to have fixed the IE bug! Can anyone get the
> 'Operation aborted' window to appear now by refreshing this page WHILST it
> is still working?
> http://tinyurl.com/35mwxr
>
> There was a mention to some style code in one of the fixes for this known
> IE bug. Anyway, it now appears to be resolved.
>
> Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully MS will fix the bug before even more
> programmers hate their browser, even if the majority of public don't.

Okay it turns out we jumped the gun as the problem is still happening,
albeit less often. It is completely random.

The only surefire workaround for this IE bug is to close the </body> tag
before the Google Maps code. BUT as stated that then messes up Firefox
interpreting the code.

Can anyone suggest another way to do this (which doesn't work)?:

<!--[if IE]></body><![endif]-->

Need something really simple please. KISS as you say.

Thanks.

Stevo

Mika wrote:
> "Mika" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>>> Internet Explorer cannot open the Internet site...
>>> Operation aborted

>> There was a mention to some style code in one of the fixes for this known
>> IE bug. Anyway, it now appears to be resolved.

No style problems can cause that. You've just shifted the problem around
a bit. Edit: I just read you're including google maps code, that'll be
what's doing it.

>> Thanks for all the tips. Hopefully MS will fix the bug before even more
>> programmers hate their browser, even if the majority of public don't.

> Okay it turns out we jumped the gun as the problem is still happening,
> albeit less often. It is completely random.

The problem is that some code is trying to dynamically create DOM
elements before the page is complete (i.e. before the </body> tag). IE
won't tolerate this.

> Can anyone suggest another way to do this (which doesn't work)?:
> <!--[if IE]></body><![endif]-->

Have you tried using document.write("<\/body>"); ?

If that doesn't work, then I'd just put the </body> tag inline as it
should be and deal with Firefox's problem. I haven't read all the posts
in this thread so I don't know details of what the problem is there.

The Magpie

Jeff North wrote:

> Don't use XHTML - http://hixie.ch/advocacy/xhtml
> That would solve some of the problems.

Personally, I prefer XHTML 1.0 over HTML 4.x because it is much easier
to ensure it is error-free. But that's a personal choice.

Andy Dingley

On 19 Nov, 18:38, The Magpie <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Personally, I prefer XHTML 1.0 over HTML 4.x because it is much easier
> to ensure it is error-free. But that's a personal choice.

What makes you think that?

> @pigsinspace.co.uk

OMG! It's the uber-Mabbett!