Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Opening links in specific browsers (IE 6 for example)

Opening links in specific browsers (IE 6 for example)

Rohit Gupta

Hi,

I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
using JavaScript. I could not find any relevant material where I could
specify which browser to open it into. Can anyone throw some light as
to how should I go about doing this.

Thanks,

Rohit

Stevo

Rohit Gupta wrote:
> I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
> using JavaScript. I could not find any relevant material where I could
> specify which browser to open it into. Can anyone throw some light as
> to how should I go about doing this.

As far as I know, all you can control is whether or not they open in the
current window, or a new window (popup). Which browser opens depends on
which one on the user's system is the default for the protocol type
(e.g. http, https). If a user has Firefox installed, but has IE set to
the default browser, there's no way you can make Firefox open with a link.

David Dorward

On Nov 16, 1:17 pm, Rohit Gupta <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I want to open to html links in specific browser (for me it is IE 6)
> using JavaScript.

It isn't possible without something with massive security rights on
the user's system exposing an interface to JS. (A signed Java Applet
might do the trick).

If you really need a page to open in IE6, then that page should be
fixed so it is standards compatible.

--
David Dorward
http://dorward.me.uk/

Rohit Gupta

> As far as I know, all you can control is whether or not they open in the
> current window, or a new window (popup). Which browser opens depends on
> which one on the user's system is the default for the protocol type
> (e.g. http, https). If a user has Firefox installed, but has IE set to
> the default browser, there's no way you can make Firefox open with a link.

Ok, thanks for the input.

Thanks,

Rohit