Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Local Area Network (LAN)

Local Area Network (LAN)

anganb

Local Area Network (LAN)

Both an EtherNet (wire) network and a wireless network are referred to
as a Local Area Network (LAN). A wireless network does not require
hubs, switchers, or routers to include additional users on the
network. Additional wireless users are supported just by being in the
immediate physical span of the network.

A wireless LAN (or Wi-Fi network) may be configured in two different
ways:

Ad Hoc mode: Allows only for communication between different personal
computers and wireless devices, often referred to as peer-to-peer
communication.
Infrastructure mode: Required for communication with the World Wide
Web, a printer, or a wired device of any sort. In either case, this
wireless connection requires a wireless network adaptor, often called
a WLAN card.
http://www.askstar.com.cn/health/Ins...chnologies.htm

The Natural Philosopher

anganb wrote:
> Local Area Network (LAN)
>
> Both an EtherNet (wire) network and a wireless network are referred to
> as a Local Area Network (LAN). A wireless network does not require
> hubs, switchers, or routers to include additional users on the
> network.

An ethernet LAN des not require hubs routers or switches either.

> Additional wireless users are supported just by being in the
> immediate physical span of the network.

Ditto ethernet, but I doubt yu can remember back that far..

> A wireless LAN (or Wi-Fi network) may be configured in two different
> ways:
>
> Ad Hoc mode: Allows only for communication between different personal
> computers and wireless devices, often referred to as peer-to-peer
> communication.
> Infrastructure mode: Required for communication with the World Wide
> Web, a printer, or a wired device of any sort. In either case, this
> wireless connection requires a wireless network adaptor, often called
> a WLAN card.
> http://www.askstar.com.cn/health/Ins...chnologies.htm

Seems like you are talking more or less nonsense for reasons I can't
fathom.

What is your point?

Ivan Marsh

On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:42:57 -0800, anganb wrote:

> A wireless network does not require hubs, switchers, or routers to
> include additional users on the network. Additional wireless users are
> supported just by being in the immediate physical span of the network.

This is not accurate. Your wireless access point is, in fact, a hub or
switch. A wireless access point supports a specific number of concurrent
connections... either based on licensing or, at the very least, the
capacity of the ARP table.

--
I told you this was going to happen.

The Natural Philosopher

Ivan Marsh wrote:
> On Tue, 06 Nov 2007 00:42:57 -0800, anganb wrote:
>
>> A wireless network does not require hubs, switchers, or routers to
>> include additional users on the network. Additional wireless users are
>> supported just by being in the immediate physical span of the network.

> This is not accurate. Your wireless access point is, in fact, a hub or
> switch. A wireless access point supports a specific number of concurrent
> connections... either based on licensing or, at the very least, the
> capacity of the ARP table.

Good point. So basically nothing in the OP is correct?