Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Best program to practice with JavaScript

Best program to practice with JavaScript

Tim Streater

In article <(E-Mail Removed)>,
John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> Hello,
>
> I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
> program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
> with syntax highlighting if possible.

I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
languages including JS.

John

Hello,

I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
with syntax highlighting if possible.

Any help would be appreciated.

Hal Rosser

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello,
>
> I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
> program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
> with syntax highlighting if possible.
>

> Any help would be appreciated.

Here's a promising javascript IDE - I have not used it YET
http://www.aptana.com/download_all.php#windows

I will try it out - myself

Hal Rosser

> Here's a promising javascript IDE - I have not used it YET
> http://www.aptana.com/download_all.php#windows
>
> I will try it out - myself

Tried it
Like it
it has 'intellisense' and also points out errors on the page
- something new for a free javascript editor.

Peter Michaux

On Oct 29, 10:06 am, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm brand new to Javascript and would like to know what is the best
> program that I can use to learn JavaScript. I would like something
> with syntax highlighting if possible.

I use textmate on OS X. It's a pretty good one with syntax
highlighting, code completion (snippets), and a nice project-wide
search

http://macromates.com/

I wish I was a VIM whiz but, based on all my investigations, it
doesn't integrate so smoothly on OS X.

http://vim.org

and there is always emacs

http://www.gnu.org/software/emacs/

Peter

John

>I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
>languages including JS.

Thanks but I need something for Windows.

beegee

On Oct 29, 6:25 pm, John <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> >I use TextWrangler for editing JS - it has syntax colouring for many
> >languages including JS.

> Thanks but I need something for Windows.

I use Komodo. The IDE costs $, the editor is free. The editor has
syntax highlighting for many different languages. I hated Aptana
because besides taking hours to load, it was not able to handle
javascript embedded in an .asp file which, unfortuantely, I deal with
daily.

Bob