Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > autopopulate input fields

autopopulate input fields

Darren

Hi there.

I am a hobbyist with no formal background in computer programming.
Although years ago Iíve dabbled with a bit of the Microsoft QBasic and
very simple MS-DOS batch files, javascript is new to me and after about
2-3 weeks of googling, javascript is still clear as mud.

I have been tinkering with a form and have developed a working
calculator with the help of a excel add-in, which exports excel formulas
to html/javascript code. Everything works fine but I would like to add a
bit of functionality to the program. As it stands right now, all the
form field values must be entered in manually. A lot of the values that
would be entered would be preset for long periods. I would like to load
the preset plan names and values into a configuration file and through a
javascript dropdown menu system (CooljsMenu), auto-populate the form
fields with the preset values once a plan is selected.

What I hope to accomplish in the final product is:

1) Retrieve plan information from an external configuration file - (all
files local)
2) Populate a drop down menu system using the plan names from that
configuration file - (about 50 plans)
3) Auto populate form fields with plan characteristics when a plan is
selected from the drop down menu. - (about 6 values per plan)

This is all way over my head right now and this project is just a hobby
that I would like to complete. Any suggestions, tips, guidance, links to
resource information would be greatly appreciated.

I really have no idea where to start.

Thanks,
Darren