Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox hassles

Firefox hassles

WolfGang

I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...

So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
frustrating because when it was working it was great.

I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
Thank you,
[...]

Reg Mouatt

On Sat, 11 Sep 2004 14:28:09 GMT, "WolfGang" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
>everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
>was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
>itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...
>
>So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
>reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
>different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
>and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
>frustrating because when it was working it was great.
>
>I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
>seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
>Thank you,
>Wolfgang
>I easily DLed and used Firefox, plugins, extensions, etc. for awhile and
>everything worked fine. At some point it stopped working and all I could get
>was the Firefox window but everything I tried to open (including mozilla
>itself) brought up an Alert: (URL) could not be found...
>
>So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
>reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
>different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
>and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
>frustrating because when it was working it was great.
>
>I have been trying to get help with this for several weeks and it doesn't
>seem to ring a bell with anyone so far. I am about to give up. Any help?
>Thank you,
>Wolfgang

Hi Wolfgang,
What I would be tempted to do is download jvPowerTools from
www.macecraft.com, you get a thirty day free trial and using the third
icon from the left of 'Registry Tools' search for all instances of
Firefox (If you have nothing other than Firefox try searching for
Mozilla also) and choose Remove. A backup is made should it be
necessary to reinstall. Then try a new install of Firefox.
Good luck,
Reg

Mueen Nawaz

WolfGang wrote:
> So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip and
> reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
> different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox window,
> and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
> frustrating because when it was working it was great.

Did you remove your Profile folder? Or try starting FF in safe mode?

--
When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?

/\ /\ /\ /
/ \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

anl

WolfGang

Thanks,
I tried Safe Mode and got the same results. I am not familiar with the
Profile Folder nor where to find it-- can you explain? (In the meantime I
will try to locate this.)

By the way, I did clean my registry after uninstalling/deleting Firefox
before but upon reinstalling it I still had the same problem.
Wolfgang

"Mueen Nawaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> WolfGang wrote:
> > So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip

and
> > reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
> > different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox

window,
> > and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
> > frustrating because when it was working it was great.

> Did you remove your Profile folder? Or try starting FF in safe mode?
>
> --
> When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?
>

> /\ /\ /\ /
> / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

> anl

Thanks,
I tried Safe Mode and got the same results. I am not familiar with the
Profile Folder nor where to find it-- can you explain? (In the meantime I
will try to locate this.)

By the way, I did clean my registry after uninstalling/deleting Firefox
before but upon reinstalling it I still had the same problem.
Wolfgang

"Mueen Nawaz" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> WolfGang wrote:
> > So I uninstalled Firefox and deleted the old zip, redownloaded the zip

and
> > reinstalled Firefox (several times) but I can't get it to do anything
> > different. It just won't go past the initial opening of the Firefox

window,
> > and nothing happens but Alert windows when I try to open a URL. Very
> > frustrating because when it was working it was great.

> Did you remove your Profile folder? Or try starting FF in safe mode?
>
> --
> When an agnostic dies, does he go to the "great perhaps"?

> / \/ \ u e e n / \/ a w a z

> anl

Gigabyte Motherboard Hassles Tony Computer Information 5 05-13-2009 05:11 PM
sipgate new user hassles Mick UK VOIP 11 08-22-2006 09:54 PM
Cisco VPN Client and Widows 2000 server hassles AndyCapp77 Cisco 1 05-24-2006 11:55 AM
Hassles in sports arenas? Andrew McDonald Digital Photography 25 12-05-2003 10:52 PM
Zip Hassles, EOFException. Andrew Tucker Java 6 09-24-2003 01:32 PM

Advertisments