Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Thunderbird/Hotmail Popper Users: How to Copy Your Inbox?

Thunderbird/Hotmail Popper Users: How to Copy Your Inbox?

Henry

Maybe I'm being retarded, but I could use some advice from people
using Thunderbird with Hotmail Popper. I got T-bird to download my
Hotmail messages, only no copies were left in the actual hotmail
account. This was never a problem with Outlook Express. OE would
just copy messages from hotmail, not move them completely. If
possible, I'd like to continue using T-bird, but if I can't retain my
messages in Hotmail (so that I can use normal web access also), then
I'll have to go back to OE. Any tips on this are appreciated. I've
searched on google and played around with settings but have struck out
so far.

I am using Thunderbird 0.7.3, and Hotmail Popper 2.1.1.

Kai de Leeuw

Henry wrote:
> Maybe I'm being retarded, but I could use some advice from people
> using Thunderbird with Hotmail Popper. I got T-bird to download my
> Hotmail messages, only no copies were left in the actual hotmail
> account. This was never a problem with Outlook Express. OE would
> just copy messages from hotmail, not move them completely. If
> possible, I'd like to continue using T-bird, but if I can't retain my
> messages in Hotmail (so that I can use normal web access also), then
> I'll have to go back to OE. Any tips on this are appreciated. I've
> searched on google and played around with settings but have struck out
> so far.
>
> I am using Thunderbird 0.7.3, and Hotmail Popper 2.1.1.

I would swap to freepops.sourceforge.net if I was you. It handles more
email providers than just hotmail. Other than that, have you tried to
check the box "leave on server"?

As for OE, the access to hotmail from there is a proprietary HTTP
protocol that reads the contents of your mailbox. It is not like POP
or anything. It doesn't copy.

You can set up OE to read the mail like Thunderbird does with Hotmail
Popper. If will still delete the emails so it is Hotmail Poppers that is
to blame as you can configure the email client to not do delete POPed
emails. It is up to HP to obey that or not.