Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > JS able to execute/run a program?

JS able to execute/run a program?

spamblock99@gmail.com

Quick question that I have not been able to find much info on so I
already have my doubts..

Is Javascript able to execute a program that is already installed on
the computer (either server or local computer)?

For instance, the HTML FORM control is able to run a program on the
webserver via the FORM ACTION=program_name method.

The problem is that if the webpage and program are installed and run
locally, a webserver is needed to handle the HTTP request to pass the
parameters through to the program. Without the webserver, the program
is blind to the passed parameters.. =\

Martin Honnen

> Is Javascript able to execute a program that is already installed on
> the computer (either server or local computer)?

Depends on the host, with Windows Script Host you can do that easily:
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/d5fk67ky.aspx>
<http://msdn2.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ateytk4a.aspx>

--

Martin Honnen