Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > CSS Menu Width in Firefox

CSS Menu Width in Firefox

vunet.us@gmail.com

Hello,
This menu is perfect in IE but the width in Firefox is a few pixels
bigger that 100%. Please, recommend a fix if possible. I am out of
luck. I just want the width to be 100%, nicely inside of a div with
some border:

http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/ (compare Firefox and IE)

Thank you.

julie.siebel@gmail.com

On Jun 25, 8:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> This menu is perfect in IE but the width in Firefox is a few pixels
> bigger that 100%. Please, recommend a fix if possible. I am out of
> luck. I just want the width to be 100%, nicely inside of a div with
> some border:
>
> http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/(compare Firefox and IE)
>
> Thank you.

I'm not sure what you mean by "a few pixels bigger that 100%". The

If 50% is what you're going for, then each of these browsers are
working according to their specs. If you look at the IE version, there
is a grayed out scroll bar on the right. The Firefox version doesn't
have this. If you make the IE window wide enough so that the scroll
bar falls *outside* the Firefox window, they are the same width.

This is only a guess, but what I would do is either do a javascript
browser check, and adjust the width of the div for one or the other,
or I'd set up my IE page to not show the scroll bar (though I'm not
sure if that would affect firefox or not).

I'm sure you'll get *much* better answers than this, but maybe this
will point you in the right direction.

Julie

RobG

On Jun 26, 1:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
> Hello,
> This menu is perfect in IE but the width in Firefox is a few pixels
> bigger that 100%. Please, recommend a fix if possible. I am out of
> luck. I just want the width to be 100%, nicely inside of a div with
> some border:

You will probablly get a better respons to CSS questions in a CSS news
group:

vunet.us@gmail.com

On Jun 25, 11:14 pm, "(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Jun 25, 8:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>
> > Hello,
> > This menu is perfect in IE but the width in Firefox is a few pixels
> > bigger that 100%. Please, recommend a fix if possible. I am out of
> > luck. I just want the width to be 100%, nicely inside of a div with
> > some border:

> >http://www.vunet.us/wic/test/(compareFirefox and IE)

> > Thank you.

> I'm not sure what you mean by "a few pixels bigger that 100%". The
>
> If 50% is what you're going for, then each of these browsers are
> working according to their specs. If you look at the IE version, there
> is a grayed out scroll bar on the right. The Firefox version doesn't
> have this. If you make the IE window wide enough so that the scroll
> bar falls *outside* the Firefox window, they are the same width.
>
> This is only a guess, but what I would do is either do a javascript
> browser check, and adjust the width of the div for one or the other,
> or I'd set up my IE page to not show the scroll bar (though I'm not
> sure if that would affect firefox or not).
>
> I'm sure you'll get *much* better answers than this, but maybe this
> will point you in the right direction.
>
> Julie

thank you. i just wanted that div with 50% wide to hold that menu with
ul 100% nicely inside of that div. but Firefox does not hold it in. UL
overlaps the right border of 50% div.
I posted my question to CSS group too as recommended by RobG.

Larry Keenan

RobG wrote:
> On Jun 26, 1:03 pm, (E-Mail Removed) wrote:
>> Hello,
>> This menu is perfect in IE but the width in Firefox is a few pixels
>> bigger that 100%. Please, recommend a fix if possible. I am out of
>> luck. I just want the width to be 100%, nicely inside of a div with
>> some border:

> You will probablly get a better respons to CSS questions in a CSS news
> group:

Change <div style="width:50%;border:1px solid black;">
to <div style="width: 746px;;border:1px solid black;">

Reason: Your css says the second div should be 746px wide

Finally why not just add border:1px solid black; to your
chromestyle class and loose the border div.

Larry Keenan