Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Connecting to a Service Listening on a Port over TCP/IP

Connecting to a Service Listening on a Port over TCP/IP

Bob Garbados

I have a .net website and I need to connect to a service listening on a
specific port from that website. The service and website are on the same
windows 03 server. I don't know where to start on this, can someone point
me in the right direction.

Thanks.

bruce barker

well, you need to know the protocol required to talk to this service. is
tcp/ip or udp? is a self defined stream protocol or is an http protocol.
connect to it with telnet, and see what you can learn. use net monitor to
dump the packets.

-- bruce (sqlwork.com)

"Bob Garbados" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bL0yd.31$(E-Mail Removed)...
| I have a .net website and I need to connect to a service listening on a
| specific port from that website. The service and website are on the same
| windows 03 server. I don't know where to start on this, can someone point
| me in the right direction.
|
| Thanks.

Bob Garbados

Thanks. It's tcp/ip and I don't know if it's self defined or http. I only
know that I have to send xml to a specific port. I can't connect with
telnet to the port, does that mean it has to be opened up? Pinging the port
times out.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well, you need to know the protocol required to talk to this service. is
> tcp/ip or udp? is a self defined stream protocol or is an http protocol.
> connect to it with telnet, and see what you can learn. use net monitor to
> dump the packets.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "Bob Garbados" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bL0yd.31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | I have a .net website and I need to connect to a service listening on a
> | specific port from that website. The service and website are on the

same
> | windows 03 server. I don't know where to start on this, can someone

point
> | me in the right direction.
> |
> | Thanks.

Bob Garbados

Bruce,

I can connect to it with telnet but I can't learn anything... once the
connection opens I just see a blinking cursor, if I press a key the
connection is lost.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> well, you need to know the protocol required to talk to this service. is
> tcp/ip or udp? is a self defined stream protocol or is an http protocol.
> connect to it with telnet, and see what you can learn. use net monitor to
> dump the packets.
>
> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>

> "Bob Garbados" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:bL0yd.31$(E-Mail Removed)...
> | I have a .net website and I need to connect to a service listening on a
> | specific port from that website. The service and website are on the

same
> | windows 03 server. I don't know where to start on this, can someone

point
> | me in the right direction.
> |
> | Thanks.

Renán Wug

Try the telnet like this telnet 123.123.123.123 XXXX where XXXX is the port
number where you want to connect. If the port is open you will get the
cursor and if you type something it should give you an answer.

Regards,

Renán

"Bob Garbados" <(E-Mail Removed)> escribió en el mensaje
news:yyiyd.602$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Bruce,
>
> I can connect to it with telnet but I can't learn anything... once the
> connection opens I just see a blinking cursor, if I press a key the
> connection is lost.
>
> "bruce barker" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> well, you need to know the protocol required to talk to this service. is
>> tcp/ip or udp? is a self defined stream protocol or is an http protocol.
>> connect to it with telnet, and see what you can learn. use net monitor to
>> dump the packets.
>>
>> -- bruce (sqlwork.com)
>>

>> "Bob Garbados" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:bL0yd.31$(E-Mail Removed)...
>> | I have a .net website and I need to connect to a service listening on a
>> | specific port from that website. The service and website are on the

> same
>> | windows 03 server. I don't know where to start on this, can someone

> point
>> | me in the right direction.
>> |
>> | Thanks.

Bob Garbados

That's exactly what I did, but the connection gets lost when I type anything
at the cursor.

Thanks.

news:uESQe$(E-Mail Removed)...