Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Create an Outlook Appointment

Create an Outlook Appointment

chuckdfoster

Is there a way to create an New Outlook Appointment from an ASP.NET
application? I would also need to check if Outlook is running first. Any
suggestions, advice?

Curt_C [MVP]

I suggest an easier route. Create an .ICS file that the user simply
imports/executes to add it to their client outlook settings.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Is there a way to create an New Outlook Appointment from an ASP.NET
> application? I would also need to check if Outlook is running first. Any
> suggestions, advice?

chuckdfoster

Could you give me some code to get me started. I understand what a ICS file
looks like, but how do you get it to save to the client's PC? Is there a
way to do it withou them being prompted to Save,Open, Cancel? Thanks for
your help.

news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> I suggest an easier route. Create an .ICS file that the user simply
> imports/executes to add it to their client outlook settings.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Is there a way to create an New Outlook Appointment from an ASP.NET
> > application? I would also need to check if Outlook is running first.

Any
> > suggestions, advice?

Curt_C [MVP]

You dont... What I mean is generate it on your server and feed it up, let
the client choose to save or execute it (import)

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Could you give me some code to get me started. I understand what a ICS
> file
> looks like, but how do you get it to save to the client's PC? Is there a
> way to do it withou them being prompted to Save,Open, Cancel? Thanks for
> your help.

> news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I suggest an easier route. Create an .ICS file that the user simply
>> imports/executes to add it to their client outlook settings.
>>
>> --
>> Curt Christianson
>> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
>> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
>> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>>

>> "chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Is there a way to create an New Outlook Appointment from an ASP.NET
>> > application? I would also need to check if Outlook is running first.

> Any
>> > suggestions, advice?

chuckdfoster

Can you give me insight as to how the whole process works and what happens
where? As you can tell, I haven't been developing ASP.NET for very long (a
few months). I apoligize for the inexperiece.

news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> You dont... What I mean is generate it on your server and feed it up, let
> the client choose to save or execute it (import)
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > Could you give me some code to get me started. I understand what a ICS
> > file
> > looks like, but how do you get it to save to the client's PC? Is there

> > way to do it withou them being prompted to Save,Open, Cancel? Thanks

for
> > your help.
> >

> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> > news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> I suggest an easier route. Create an .ICS file that the user simply
> >> imports/executes to add it to their client outlook settings.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Curt Christianson
> >> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> >> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> >> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> >>

> >> "chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > Any

Curt_C [MVP]

Look at creating a text file (that's all it is). There are plenty of sample
on the net. Just google it or hit www.asp.net for plenty of examples.

No worries on being new, we all were at one point.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Can you give me insight as to how the whole process works and what happens
> where? As you can tell, I haven't been developing ASP.NET for very long
> (a
> few months). I apoligize for the inexperiece.

> news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> You dont... What I mean is generate it on your server and feed it up, let
>> the client choose to save or execute it (import)
>>
>> --
>> Curt Christianson
>> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
>> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
>> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>>

>> "chuckdfoster" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > Could you give me some code to get me started. I understand what a ICS
>> > file
>> > looks like, but how do you get it to save to the client's PC? Is there

>> > way to do it withou them being prompted to Save,Open, Cancel? Thanks

> for
>> > your help.
>> >

>> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
>> > news:O%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > Any

chuckdfoster

I found it on the web. I found the sample code at
http://www.devx.com/getHelpOn/10Minu...20508/0/page/4

For anyone who needs it, here is my code....For DTSTART and DTEND the value
is yyyymmddThhmmssZ (greenwich time).
System.EventArgs) Handles Button1.Click

Dim strFile As String

Dim strvCalendar

strFile = "BEGIN : VCALENDAR" & vbCrLf & _

"PRODID:-//Microsoft Corporation//Outlook 11.0 MIMEDIR//EN"
& vbCrLf & _

"VERSION:1.0" & vbCrLf & _

"BEGIN : VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _

"DTSTART:20041223T143000Z" & vbCrLf & _

"DTEND:20041223T150000Z" & vbCrLf & _

"LOCATION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:IT Conference Room" &
vbCrLf & _

"DESCRIPTION;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:The team has voted to
have Turnover" & vbCrLf & _

"SUMMARY;ENCODING=QUOTED-PRINTABLE:Financial Call Team
Turnover Meeting" & vbCrLf & _

"PRIORITY:3" & vbCrLf & _

"End : VEVENT" & vbCrLf & _

"End : VCALENDAR"

Response.ContentType = "text/x-vCalendar"

Response.AddHeader("Content-Disposition", "filename=Event1" &
".vcs;")

Response.Write(strFile)

Response.End()

End Sub