Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > A good hands on book for JavaScript

A good hands on book for JavaScript

jamiil

Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
what things can be done with JavaScript.

Thanks folks!

rickcasey

On Jun 4, 10:47 am, jamiil <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
> beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
> reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
> for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
> what things can be done with JavaScript.
>
> Thanks folks!

Best book I've seen personally (no claim to "gurudom"!) is Danny
Goodman's "Javascript & DHTML Cookbook". He's been around forever, and
the book is chock full of code examples, which I've used frequently to
solve tough web GUI problems at work. Check it out at www.dannyg.com...

--rick

Hal Rosser

"jamiil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...
> Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
> beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
> reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
> for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
> what things can be done with JavaScript.
>
> Thanks folks!

Here is a decent tutorial site:
www.w3schools.com
and for a reference
http://devguru.com
The 'regulars' on this newsgroup will expose many flaws at both sites, but
you can at least read and learn without being flamed at those web sites.
Then of course read the 'faqs' for this website, even with the flames, there
are some decent folks here

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <zA09i.8075$(E-Mail Removed).
net>, Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:43:49, Hal Rosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
posted:

>"jamiil" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
>news:(E-Mail Removed) oups.com...
>> Does any know what book/website would be good for me, an middle-
>> beginner, if what I'm looking for is a hands-on, example-loaded
>> reference book/website? More specifically, what I am looking for is
>> for something that will show me how to do things and not just tell me
>> what things can be done with JavaScript.
>>
>> Thanks folks!

>Here is a decent tutorial site:
>www.w3schools.com
>and for a reference
> http://devguru.com
>The 'regulars' on this newsgroup will expose many flaws at both sites, but
>you can at least read and learn without being flamed at those web sites.
>Then of course read the 'faqs' for this website, even with the flames, there
>are some decent folks here

But this is not a website; and it's extremely rate for those who read
and learn here to be flamed, unless they also write.

The devguru site has a run-time error in the first page, which tends to
destroy confidence - and four or five in the first javascript page - and
the Date page has the usual error in all but one of the possible places
- and it says getFullYear returns a four-digit year - and it says new
Date() gives today's date - ...

While it correctly determines the number of milliseconds to the next
millennium, it does not consider the possible effect of Summer Time in
converting that to days. It will therefore be wrong, even in most of
the country it's written for, for an hour each day in Summer; and ISTM
for a different hour each day in much of Australia in Winter.

And www.w3schools.com is similar, except for lacking the example and its
errors, and the place where devguru was right.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Delphi 3? Turnpike 6.05
<URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm> clpdmFAQ;

Hal Rosser

"Dr J R Stockton" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed) nvalid...
> In comp.lang.javascript message <zA09i.8075$(E-Mail Removed).
> net>, Mon, 4 Jun 2007 18:43:49, Hal Rosser <(E-Mail Removed)>
> posted:
> The devguru site has a run-time error in the first page, which tends to
> destroy confidence - and four or five in the first javascript page - and
> the Date page has the usual error in all but one of the possible places
> - and it says getFullYear returns a four-digit year - and it says new
> Date() gives today's date - ...
>
> While it correctly determines the number of milliseconds to the next
> millennium, it does not consider the possible effect of Summer Time in
> converting that to days. It will therefore be wrong, even in most of
> the country it's written for, for an hour each day in Summer; and ISTM
> for a different hour each day in much of Australia in Winter.
>
> And www.w3schools.com is similar, except for lacking the example and its
> errors, and the place where devguru was right.
>
> --
> (c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Delphi 3? Turnpike
> 6.05
> <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/&c., FAQqy topics &
> links;
> <URL:http://www.bancoems.com/CompLangPascalDelphiMisc-MiniFAQ.htm>
> clpdmFAQ;
> <URL:http://www.borland.com/newsgroups/guide.html> news:borland.*
> Guidelines

To the OP
See - I told ya they would point out those flaws.

Peter Michaux

On Oct 9 2006, 9:37 am, "Navodit" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> Can anyone recommend a good starting tutorial for Javascript? Basically I
> want to learn enough of Javascript so that I can work with Google Maps API
> (http://www.google.com/apis/maps/documentation/). Thanks

I think this link should help...

Flanagan's book is the book to have. It is mentioned in the group faq

Watch out for errata.

The only other books I would consider are the new Apress book written
by Resig and the Wrox books by Zakas based on the author reputations.

You can watch all the videos here <URL: http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/theater/>

I think the Crockford videos are great and so is crockford.com. I
don't use his style of JavaScript OOP but he seems to like it.

This newsgroup is the highest quality source of advice. I've learned a
lot!

Peter

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)>,
Mon, 4 Jun 2007 17:21:41, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> posted:
>jamiil said the following on 6/4/2007 12:47 PM:

>> Does any know what book/website

>The best way to answer that question is to tell you to check the group
>FAQ as that very question is asked/answered in the FAQ.

Although the formal spec is sufficiently mentioned in the FAQ for those
who are seeking it; ISTM that it could be useful to add to FAQ section
3.1 - no, to 3 before 3.1 - something along the lines of :-

Books and Web sites are rarely 100% reliable. It may, therefore, be wise
to refer in parallel to the formal specification _Sec 2.6_ and compare
details.

The final word of se3ction 2.8 could be spelt better.

Is there a Web description of the Date Object along the lines of those
commonly seen, but free of errors and omissions? I mean those made up
like

getFullYear
Returns the year of the specified date according to local time.

getHours
Returns the hour in the specified date according to local time.

getMilliseconds
Returns the milliseconds in the specified date according to local time.

and omissions like not indicating what setYear(9) does.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6.