Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Keeping a page from timing out when waiting for a long running process

Keeping a page from timing out when waiting for a long running process

Steve W

Is it possible to keep some communication going between the browser and web
server going while waiting for a long running process to finish ?

We have one function on our app (ASP.NET / VB.NET) that does a long running
update to the database (takes upto 10 mins) and the browser will often time
out before it completes.

Ideally I'd like to send information back to the browser from the process,
but anything that stops the browser timing out would be good.

Thanks

Steve

Patrick Olurotimi Ige

Steve..
Maybe u should be able to use progress bar for this..
Patrick

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Steve,

Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue, I've also found your
another thread in this group. I've posted my reply there and I'd appreciate
if you have a look there. Also, if you feel it convenient that we continue
to discuss in that thread, please feel free to post there. Thanks.

Regards,

Steven Cheng
Microsoft Online Support

Get Secure! www.microsoft.com/security
rights.)

Steve W

Steven,

Thanks for your reply.

Can you point me to other thread please - I'm sure where I should be
looking.

Thanks again,

Steve

news9%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hi Steve,
>
> Thanks for your posting. Regarding on this issue, I've also found your
> another thread in this group. I've posted my reply there and I'd

appreciate
> if you have a look there. Also, if you feel it convenient that we continue
> to discuss in that thread, please feel free to post there. Thanks.
>
> Regards,
>
> Steven Cheng
> Microsoft Online Support

> rights.)

Steven Cheng[MSFT]

Hi Steve,

The other thread is in the same newsgroup and the title is also the same
with this thread. OK, I've repasted my reply there in the bottom for your
convenience. Thanks.

Thanks for Bruce's informative inputs.

Hi Steve,

As Bruce have mentioned, the general meams is to let the long run task
running at serverside( in a background thread ..) and the page response
return as normal. Then, we contantly post back to poll the result from
serverside. And here are some tech article discussing on such topic:

#How to show progress in the client browser for a long-running ASP.NET page
http://support.microsoft.com/?id=837375

#DESIGN PATTERNS: Asynchronous Wait State Pattern in ASP.NET
http://msdn.microsoft.com/msdnmag/is...tterns/default...
http://www.aspnetpro.com/NewsletterA...00308bm_l/asp2...
_l.asp

Hope also helps.