Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > can a Modal Dialog post back to itself?

can a Modal Dialog post back to itself?

Craig G

i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it posts
back it opens a new window for the page

can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form showing
within the dialog to "_self" but no joy

Cheers,
Craig

Curt_C [MVP]

Its a DIALOG box... it's not desined for that.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software

"Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it posts
> back it opens a new window for the page
>
> can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form showing
> within the dialog to "_self" but no joy
>
> Cheers,
> Craig

Craig G

fairy muff but not everything is used as it was designed to be
http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/IFrameParams.asp

news:%23kS%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Its a DIALOG box... it's not desined for that.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it

posts
> > back it opens a new window for the page
> >
> > can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form

showing
> > within the dialog to "_self" but no joy
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Craig

Eliyahu Goldin

Just put a line

<base target=_self>

into the <head> section of your page.

Eliyahu

"Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it posts
> back it opens a new window for the page
>
> can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form showing
> within the dialog to "_self" but no joy
>
> Cheers,
> Craig

Curt_C [MVP]

that's iFrame, not Modal Dialog, and yes, there are often "workarounds" to
get things to work in non-designed ways. This is usually a bad idea though.
Next patch, next upgrade, etc, could break your "workaround".... It's
usually best to reevaluate what you need and how you want to get it. In
other words use the right peg for the right hole, dont force it.

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> fairy muff but not everything is used as it was designed to be
> http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/IFrameParams.asp

> news:%23kS%(E-Mail Removed)...
>> Its a DIALOG box... it's not desined for that.
>>
>> --
>> Curt Christianson
>> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
>> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
>> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>>

>> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> >
>> > i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it

> posts
>> > back it opens a new window for the page
>> >
>> > can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form

> showing
>> > within the dialog to "_self" but no joy
>> >
>> > Cheers,
>> > Craig

Craig G

yeah i know what you mean. if i had if my way they would just be
window.open's and save all the hassle but when your being forced by others
to get it to work by any means possible!!

they know all my gripes with it but at the mo there is nothing i can do to
change their mind!

Cheers,
Craig
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> that's iFrame, not Modal Dialog, and yes, there are often "workarounds" to
> get things to work in non-designed ways. This is usually a bad idea

though.
> Next patch, next upgrade, etc, could break your "workaround".... It's
> usually best to reevaluate what you need and how you want to get it. In
> other words use the right peg for the right hole, dont force it.
>
> --
> Curt Christianson
> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>

> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> > fairy muff but not everything is used as it was designed to be
> > http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/IFrameParams.asp
> >
> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
> > news:%23kS%(E-Mail Removed)...
> >> Its a DIALOG box... it's not desined for that.
> >>
> >> --
> >> Curt Christianson
> >> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
> >> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
> >> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
> >>

> >> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> >> news:(E-Mail Removed)...

> > posts

> > showing

Curt_C [MVP]

Ah yes... the executive decision.....gotta love it.
Sad thing is that if it does break in 2 months, or whenever, they'll
probably blame you for it....

--
Curt Christianson
Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com

"Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
news:uY$%(E-Mail Removed)...
> yeah i know what you mean. if i had if my way they would just be
> window.open's and save all the hassle but when your being forced by others
> to get it to work by any means possible!!
>
> they know all my gripes with it but at the mo there is nothing i can do to
> change their mind!
>
> Cheers,
> Craig
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> that's iFrame, not Modal Dialog, and yes, there are often "workarounds"
>> get things to work in non-designed ways. This is usually a bad idea

> though.
>> Next patch, next upgrade, etc, could break your "workaround".... It's
>> usually best to reevaluate what you need and how you want to get it. In
>> other words use the right peg for the right hole, dont force it.
>>
>> --
>> Curt Christianson
>> Owner/Lead Developer, DF-Software
>> Site: http://www.Darkfalz.com
>> Blog: http://blog.Darkfalz.com
>>

>> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
>> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> > fairy muff but not everything is used as it was designed to be
>> > http://www.codeproject.com/aspnet/IFrameParams.asp
>> >
>> > "Curt_C [MVP]" <software_AT_darkfalz.com> wrote in message
>> > news:%23kS%(E-Mail Removed)...

>> > posts

>> > showing

Craig G

nice one cheers Eliyahu

news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Just put a line
>
> <base target=_self>
>
> into the <head> section of your page.
>
> Eliyahu
>
> "Craig G" <craig.gamble@y_arrasoftware.com> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> >
> > i have a page with a grid that is opened in a modal dialog. when it

posts
> > back it opens a new window for the page
> >
> > can it postback to itself? i tried setting the target of the form

showing
> > within the dialog to "_self" but no joy
> >
> > Cheers,
> > Craig