Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > ASP.NET web application, IIS and AppDomain (manual restart)

ASP.NET web application, IIS and AppDomain (manual restart)

Jack Wright

Dear All,
I read the following post in this newsgroup...dated 2003-02-24
19:13:03

I'm trying to kill an ASP.NET web application by using
the following code. When KillAppDomain webmethod is
called it will kill the AppDomain specified. The problem
is once I kill an application, I couldn't start that
application again. Any help on how to safely kill an web
application without affecting others is much appreciated.

reply:
The ASP.NET web application's information is not only in its own
appdomain.
Some additional data which are used to maintain the application are in
the
ASP.NET default appdomain. If you just unload the appdomain for a web
application, some internal data doesn't clean up. This may prevent the
application restart.

There is no public class or method to let us unload a appdomain
manually. I
think you can just put a file into the /bin folder of the web
application
to make the ASP.NET unload the application.

I hope this helps. If you have any questions, please reply to this
post.

Best Regards,

Jun Su
Microsoft Support

End

I would if MS is thinking about exposing or allowing manual start and
unload of AppDomain...this would really help in solving many
deployment and speed issues..

TALIA
Many regards,
Jack