Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Dumping variables passed with SUBMIT

Dumping variables passed with SUBMIT

Brian.Abernathy@gmail.com

This is probably a simple thing to do, and it seems like I managed to
do this a few years ago, but I can't find a good example.

I'm trying to create a 'generic' page that I can call during my
testing, and it will take the variables passed by SUBMIT (not POST)
and display a web page showing all the variables and their values.

Does anyone have a good example that they would care to share? The
page will be on an Apache server, under *nix.

Brian

Brian

On Apr 25, 5:59 pm, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
..

> A POST is a Submit, I think you mean a GET request.

I know there are two ways to submit - one where the variables are
passed in the URL and the other they're passed in the body. I'my
trying to get the information from the body of the request.

There is a web page that someone else wrote and it is so convoluted I
can't figure out exactly what it is passing. I'd like to modify the
submit action in a copy of the page so it will direct to a web page
that will take the passed information and dump it to a web page, so I
can see what is happening.

Brian

Lee

Brian said:

>On Apr 25, 5:59 pm, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>.
>>
>> A POST is a Submit, I think you mean a GET request.

>I know there are two ways to submit - one where the variables are
>passed in the URL and the other they're passed in the body. I'my
>trying to get the information from the body of the request.
>
>There is a web page that someone else wrote and it is so convoluted I
>can't figure out exactly what it is passing. I'd like to modify the
>submit action in a copy of the page so it will direct to a web page
>that will take the passed information and dump it to a web page, so I
>can see what is happening.

GET sends the values in the URL.
POST sends them in the body of the request.
You should see method="POST" as an attribute of the form tag.
If there's no method attribute, it defaults to GET.

The easy way to see POSTed values is to write (or find) a
server-side script in PHP, CGI, etc, that dumps the values
(along with the server's environment variables).
That's really beyond the scope of this newsgroup, though.

Dumping all Variables Bigus Perl Misc 8 05-01-2009 06:56 PM
Catching Submit Event even called by document.forms[0].submit() The Crow ASP .Net 2 09-27-2005 05:03 PM
Preventing Multiple submit (Disabling Submit Button Post Click) Solution Mark ASP .Net 1 12-13-2004 08:03 PM
Disable Submit Button on Post back and On Submit in ASP.net Ghafran Abbas ASP .Net 0 10-12-2004 06:11 PM

Advertisments