Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Mozilla becomes slow

Mozilla becomes slow

Sentinel69

Hi all

I use Mozilla 1.7
Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616

At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
not able to connect again.
The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.

I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
anyone kwow what the problem is?

kind regards

Irene

--
"Greed will be your Downfall"
Http://www.sentinel69.cjb.net

And:
Don't dump piggies
http://www.caviaopvangbetuwe.tk

Moz Champion

Sentinel69 wrote:

> Hi all
>
> I use Mozilla 1.7
> Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
>
> At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
> say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
> fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
> not able to connect again.
> The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
> the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
> in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.
>
> I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
> anyone kwow what the problem is?
>
> kind regards
>
> Irene

Irene

A little more information would be of assistance. How fast is
your processor, and how much RAM do you have for starters. How much
free space do you have on the HD? What system?

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

default

On Mon, 06 Sep 2004 20:23:44 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>Hi all
>
>I use Mozilla 1.7
>Mozilla/5.0 (Windows; U; Windows NT 5.0; nl-NL; rv:1.7) Gecko/20040616
>
>At first it works just fine but after some surfing and mailing ,let's
>say 30 minutes , it becomes slow... it tries to connect to http but it
>fails, it keeps saying trying to to connect to *something*.Mail is also
>not able to connect again.
>The only option left is to close the mail account and browser and let
>the quick start again. I use no proxies or whatever and no restrictions
>in my firewall rules.Th is problem persist even with the firewall disabled.
>
>I really love this browser but this problem is very annoying, does
>anyone kwow what the problem is?
>
>kind regards
>
>Irene

What kind of connection/modem are you using?

When did the problem fires occur? Was any change made to the system
coincident with the problem?

Are you sure it is Mozilla and not your ISP? No other browsers show
that symptom (particularly after Mozilla has slowed?)

Do you have any software that indicates the transfer (up and download)
of your system? I use something called DU meter that gives a
graphical indication of speed . . . very handy for your sort of
problem.

Last but not least, any other software running? Are you sure? (no
spyware, trojans, ad-loading software, automatic updates, usenet
binary downloaders, file sharing, etc)

Sentinel69

default schreef:

> What kind of connection/modem are you using?
>
> When did the problem fires occur? Was any change made to the system
> coincident with the problem?
>
> Are you sure it is Mozilla and not your ISP? No other browsers show
> that symptom (particularly after Mozilla has slowed?)
>
> Do you have any software that indicates the transfer (up and download)
> of your system? I use something called DU meter that gives a
> graphical indication of speed . . . very handy for your sort of
> problem.
>
> Last but not least, any other software running? Are you sure? (no
> spyware, trojans, ad-loading software, automatic updates, usenet
> binary downloaders, file sharing, etc)

I have a DSL connection.
This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
on a brandnew install of Win2K .
The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
not a problem with my connection.
A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.

No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
, AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .
And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

kind regards,
Irene

default

On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>I have a DSL connection.
>This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
>on a brandnew install of Win2K .

The same problems you see are on two different computers? Or are you
saying the problem was there and you reinstalled 2K, and the problem
remains

>The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
>not a problem with my connection.

That's logical.

>A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
>able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
>the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
>is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.
>
>No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
>, AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
>I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .

One assumes you meant Mega Bytes of RAM? Have you tried shutting down
the Anti Virus? I don't know about AVG but AV in general can really
slow a system (not with IE - but there's still the possibility that it
doesn't play well with Moz).

You've already said it is slow with the firewall off.

>And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
>mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

Not in a position to say your 'puter is slow. I'm typing this on an
overclocked Celeron 333 MHZ with 320 MB RAM Windows ME. I only type
at a little over 40 WPM, and unless I'm burning a disk and downloading
binaries at the same time, the computer is still faster than I.

Moz works faster than any other browser I use, even on this slow
system.

Your thinking is logical; you sound like you are making the right
moves to resolve the problem. Your observation about resizing windows
is interesting. Is the converse also true? Don't minimize and the
problem is not there? Likewise, how is the tabbed browsing working
for you?

Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
have may be corrupt)

Any extra plugins or extensions?

When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
too?

Take care
bob

Sentinel69

default schreef:
> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>I have a DSL connection.
>>This problem was from the moment I installed it...and it also did occur
>>on a brandnew install of Win2K .

> The same problems you see are on two different computers? Or are you
> saying the problem was there and you reinstalled 2K, and the problem
> remains

No , I meant only on one computer.

>>The IE browser works fine if mozilla refuse it again, so I guess it is
>>not a problem with my connection.

> That's logical.
>

>>A minimized window becomes very slow when it is resized and I am not
>>able to go anywhere with it.I think it is problem with memory usage. At
>>the specific moment I see no upload or download , the only thing I see
>>is a hourglass and even no time out after a few seconds.
>>
>>No , i have no spyware or file sharing on...only spybot resident shield
>>, AVG antivirus ,bluetooth and a sygate pro firewall .
>>I have a pentium3 550 mhz machine with 655 kB RAM .

> One assumes you meant Mega Bytes of RAM? Have you tried shutting down
> the Anti Virus? I don't know about AVG but AV in general can really
> slow a system (not with IE - but there's still the possibility that it
> doesn't play well with Moz).

The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
behaviour of Mozilla..

> You've already said it is slow with the firewall off.
>

>>And don't say it's because I use a old pc because on my old laptop (500
>>mhz ) this version of mozilla is running fine.

> Not in a position to say your 'puter is slow. I'm typing this on an
> overclocked Celeron 333 MHZ with 320 MB RAM Windows ME. I only type
> at a little over 40 WPM, and unless I'm burning a disk and downloading
> binaries at the same time, the computer is still faster than I.
>
> Moz works faster than any other browser I use, even on this slow
> system.
>

> Your thinking is logical; you sound like you are making the right
> moves to resolve the problem. Your observation about resizing windows
> is interesting. Is the converse also true? Don't minimize and the
> problem is not there? Likewise, how is the tabbed browsing working
> for you?

I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.
When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
somtehing to do with the quickstart? Again, the only option to get
mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.

> Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.

> What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
> buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
> have may be corrupt)

I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
primary language.
I did download this version twice.

> Any extra plugins or extensions?

Shockwave .

> When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
> too?

Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

> Take care
> bob

Kind regards,
Irene

default

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>default schreef:
>> On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>

snipped

>The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
>behaviour of Mozilla..

I had NAV and ended up ditching it. Really slows Internet when fully
enabled. The final insult was when using the automatic update in NAV,
it trashed my file allocation table (essentially doing just what it
was supposed to protect me from) I don't use any antivirus except to
scan a suspect file now and then.

>I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.

Tabbed browsing is another way to minimize that page and switch
between pages - so I was wondering if using it slows the browser.

>When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
>is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
>somtehing to do with the quickstart?

You got me there . . . what is "quick start?" something like the
quick start tray? If you see an interaction there, close Moz and try
it straight from the program files.

On my system - yours may be different:

c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe

double click the executable file and see if it starts and runs
normally.

Again, the only option to get
>mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
>the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.
>

>> Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

>After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.
>>
>> What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
>> buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
>> have may be corrupt)

>I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
>primary language.
>I did download this version twice.

Sorry. By pedigree I meant its lineage . . . did it come from a
reliable source? I bought the disks, but didn't have problems with
downloaded versions either.

>> Any extra plugins or extensions?

>Shockwave .

I'd certainly try disabling Shockwave . . . Do you find it useful? I
won't have it on my system - too many advertisers seem to think I
really want to see a long bloated sales pitch. Shockwave files are
slow to load.

I'm also assuming that the slow down happens with all web sites?

>> When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
>> too?

>Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
>very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

If I were having your problems I think my next option would be to load
Firefox and try running that (right out of the box - so to speak) If
it asks if you want to transfer profiles or keep Mozilla settings say
"no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
choices were.

"Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster

http://www.mozilla.org/

I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
Netscape Messenger for mail.

Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
no options installed.

If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.

Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and
running into a problem.

In that case, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
and try asking there

good luck
bob

Sentinel69

default schreef:
> On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 14:44:40 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>

>>default schreef:
>>
>>>On Wed, 08 Sep 2004 16:32:02 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>

> snipped
>
>>The previous install was Norton.After that AVG ..no difference in the
>>behaviour of Mozilla..

> I had NAV and ended up ditching it. Really slows Internet when fully
> enabled. The final insult was when using the automatic update in NAV,
> it trashed my file allocation table (essentially doing just what it
> was supposed to protect me from) I don't use any antivirus except to
> scan a suspect file now and then.

NAV only checks mail from outlook and netscape and did not work for
Mozilla. I don't scan my mail ,I never open strange mails , I never had
a virus.I'm just not curious.

>>I am not able to use tabbed browsing typically enough.

> Tabbed browsing is another way to minimize that page and switch
> between pages - so I was wondering if using it slows the browser.
>

>>When I don't open that minimized window but open a new one the slowdown
>>is also in the new window,almost dead ,same probs .Maybe it has
>>somtehing to do with the quickstart?

> You got me there . . . what is "quick start?" something like the
> quick start tray? If you see an interaction there, close Moz and try
> it straight from the program files.
>
> On my system - yours may be different:
>
> c:\Program Files\mozilla.org\Mozilla\mozilla.exe
>
> double click the executable file and see if it starts and runs
> normally.

Quickstart keeps Mozilla in the memory so it starts faster without flash
screen.But I wil try to start it the way you mentioned.

> Again, the only option to get
>
>>mozilla working again is close all windows and also mail and wait until
>>the quickstart icon appears again in the tray.
>>

>>>Have you tried to reinstall Moz?

>>After this one, no ,i gues i have no other choice than upgrading.
>>
>>>What is the pedigree of the Moz program itself? Did you download or
>>>buy the disk? Have you tried a fresh download? (assuming what you
>>>have may be corrupt)

>>I'm sorry ,but I don't understand the word pedigree , english is not my
>>primary language.
>>I did download this version twice.

> Sorry. By pedigree I meant its lineage . . . did it come from a
> reliable source? I bought the disks, but didn't have problems with
> downloaded versions either.

I downloaded it from the official mozilla.org page .So quite reliable I
guess.

>>>Any extra plugins or extensions?

>>Shockwave .
>>

> I'd certainly try disabling Shockwave . . . Do you find it useful? I
> won't have it on my system - too many advertisers seem to think I
> really want to see a long bloated sales pitch. Shockwave files are
> slow to load.

Well ,I experience no problems with flash and shockwave, they load fast
http://users.pandora.be/stefdirrix/flash/ruzie.htm

> I'm also assuming that the slow down happens with all web sites?

Yes .

>>>When the mail is slow - are you using the Moz mail client? Usenet
>>>too?

>>Yes, i am using the mozilla email client , I use this also for reading a
>>very few text based newsgroups , not for downloading music and so on.

> If I were having your problems I think my next option would be to load
> Firefox and try running that (right out of the box - so to speak) If
> it asks if you want to transfer profiles or keep Mozilla settings say
> "no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
> choices were.
>
> "Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster
>
> http://www.mozilla.org/

But I don't want all things seperate ...

> I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
> Netscape Messenger for mail.
>
> Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
> no options installed.
>
> If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.
>
> Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and
> running into a problem.
>
> In that case, go to http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewforum.php?f=38
> and try asking there
>
> good luck
> bob

Thank you very much for your time Bob

Kind regards

Irene

Andreas, The Grande Panjandrum

Sentinel69 wrote:

> [...]

>>> and so on.

>> If I were having your problems I think my next option would be to load
>> Firefox and try running that (right out of the box - so to speak) If
>> it asks if you want to transfer profiles or keep Mozilla settings say
>> "no." I have and use it, but can't remember what the installation
>> choices were.
>>
>> "Firefox" is Mozilla without the mail client (smaller and faster
>>
>> http://www.mozilla.org/

> But I don't want all things seperate ...
>

>> I'm running Moz without the mail client installed and still use my old
>> Netscape Messenger for mail.
>> Try disabling shockwave first, and then try the Firefox browser with
>> no options installed.
>>
>> If one of those things doesn't work . . . I'm out of ideas.
>> Sounds like the thing may be looking for a helper application and

There have been lots of reports that Quick Launch (aka quickstart)
causes lots of problems. Most find that Moz launches just as fast if
not faster than using Quick Launch.

Andreas

Panjandrum -- http://www.bartleby.com/61/47/P0044700.html

To contact me remove the NOSPAM

default

On Thu, 09 Sep 2004 20:37:08 +0200, Sentinel69 <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

>But I don't want all things seperate ...

No, the idea is to see what works and what doesn't. This is only a
troubleshooting technique . . . With logical troubleshooting you
generally look at all of the symptoms (this would be another symptom -
it works or doesn't work) then you try to think of a single problem
that will cause all the symptoms you have.

But for troubleshooting; disable the quick launch (exit the program)
and launch directly from the executable and see if it works - if it
does, that says quick launch is the problem. And we deal with that .
.. .

Ditto the shockwave flash. disable that plugin (temporarily) and see
if that works.

The idea is to isolate the problem. Minimize the variables. If you
can make it work, you begin adding things until it dies.

Generally speaking, troubleshooting becomes exponentially more
difficult with more problems. One problem is 1X hard to fix, two
problems may be 10X harder to fix.

You already noticed minimizing windows causes the problem - that's a
good observation; you noticed some possible interaction with quick
launch - another good observation and worth checking further. (and if
you post to another forum - mention these things)

Andreas, says that quick launch has caused problems with Moz . . .
another clue . . .

As another general rule, fewer running programs makes for a faster
system - that would seem to contraindicate the usefulness of quick
launch. If the first thing you do is go online immediately after
powering on the computer - you can always put it in your windows start
up file and let it launch with windows.

Don't give up
bob