Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > firefox error with Homesite?

firefox error with Homesite?

Geoff Cox

hello,

I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
as the browser I get the error message

"Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
(c) isn't associated with any program"

Any ideas on this?

Cheers

Geoff

töff

That's a reference to a file on your local hard drive C: ... IE and
Firefox handle local addresses differently. In the grand scheme, it
doesn't matter much, because every will be loading your pages via
HTTP. But it's a pain, isn't it, while you try to test your stuff
locally before uploading. Sorry, but I don't know a workaround. Unless
somebody elses here knows a workaround, you have to choose one browser
to test your work on locally, then upload it and test on the other
browser.

Geoff Cox

On 8 Apr 2007 09:22:05 -0700, "töff" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>That's a reference to a file on your local hard drive C: ... IE and
>Firefox handle local addresses differently. In the grand scheme, it
>doesn't matter much, because every will be loading your pages via
>HTTP. But it's a pain, isn't it, while you try to test your stuff
>locally before uploading. Sorry, but I don't know a workaround. Unless
>somebody elses here knows a workaround, you have to choose one browser
>to test your work on locally, then upload it and test on the other
>browser.

well, thanks for the "bad" news!

Cheers

Geoff

-Lost

<Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> hello,
>
> I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
> as the browser I get the error message
>
> "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
> (c) isn't associated with any program"
>
> Any ideas on this?

I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol (as
in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).

Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.

The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
(or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot recognize
'ttp:' protocol.

So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

-Lost

Geoff Cox

On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:03:57 -0400, "-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

><Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> hello,
>>
>> I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
>> as the browser I get the error message
>>
>> "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
>> (c) isn't associated with any program"
>>
>> Any ideas on this?

>I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol (as
>in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).
>
>Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
>browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.
>
>The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
>(or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot recognize
>'ttp:' protocol.
>
>So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

Solved! Looking at Homesite/Options/Configure external browsers I saw
Firefox had DDE selected. Removed this and Firefox works OK!

I see that DDE means Dynamic Data Exchange ...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Data_Exchange

Googling with DDE and Firefox brings up lots of hits saying the above!
Also suggesting that DDE should be used with IE.

Cheers

Geoff

>-Lost

-Lost

<Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> On Sun, 8 Apr 2007 13:03:57 -0400, "-Lost" <(E-Mail Removed)>
> wrote:
>
>><Geoff Cox> wrote in message news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>>> hello,
>>>
>>> I am writing Javascript using Homesite but if I try to use Firefox v2
>>> as the browser I get the error message
>>>
>>> "Firefox doesn't know how to open the address, because the protocol
>>> (c) isn't associated with any program"
>>>
>>> Any ideas on this?

>>I am not sure about what töff said, but that error specifically refers to the protocol
>>(as
>>in, http:, file:, gopher:, et cetera).
>>
>>Testing locally should not be a problem assuming Homesite sends it across via a system
>>browser request (whatever the correct terminology is) or as a file:///.
>>
>>The only time I have *ever* seen that message is if I accidentally typed ttp://blah.com
>>(or any variation of an invalid protocol) and hit enter. It would say it cannot
>>recognize
>>'ttp:' protocol.
>>
>>So any idea why Homesite hands Firefox a 'c'?

> Solved! Looking at Homesite/Options/Configure external browsers I saw
> Firefox had DDE selected. Removed this and Firefox works OK!
>
> I see that DDE means Dynamic Data Exchange ...
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dynamic_Data_Exchange
>
> Googling with DDE and Firefox brings up lots of hits saying the above!
> Also suggesting that DDE should be used with IE.

Cool.

That is twice in one week I have seen mention of DDE.

Funny, the only time I ever dealt with it was back in the script kiddie days of people
trying to control your mIRC. One such method was writing a virus that told mIRC how to
spam channels, people, et cetera.

Then they figured out you can write mIRC "viruses" in mIRC Script alone.

-Lost