Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > retrieve web page content

retrieve web page content

subhadip

Hi ,
I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
suggest any code for this ?
Thank you .
Regards
Subhadip

Evertjan.

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Hi ,
> I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
> I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
> javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
> that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
> may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
> suggest any code for this ?
> Thank you .

You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your browser.

You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.

Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in notepad?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

subhadip

On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
> > Hi ,
> > I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript . suppose
> > I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
> > javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
> > that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
> > may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ? Can you
> > suggest any code for this ?
> > Thank you .

> You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your browser.
>
> You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
> but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.
>
> Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in notepad?
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

I will do that work repeatedly , say after 5 minutes interval .
extract the content , save that in a
text pad.

wisestpotato

On 27 Mar, 11:10, "subhadip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> suppose
> I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want that a
> javascript will execute on the page and read all text content from
> that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a text file . I
> may embed the script in my browser. Is this possible ?

If you are using Opera as your web browser then this may be possible.
See here for more information:

http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/

regards,

wp.

Evertjan.

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> On Mar 27, 3:22 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
>>
>> > Hi ,
>> > I want to retrieve any web page content using javascript .
>> > suppose
>> > I logged into my gmail account and opened my e-mail. now i want
>> > that a javascript will execute on the page and read all text
>> > content from that page (e.g. all email subjects ) and save it in a
>> > text file . I may embed the script in my browser. Is this
>> > possible ? Can you suggest any code for this ?
>> > Thank you .

>> You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your
>> browser.
>>
>> You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
>> but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.
>>
>> Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in
>> notepad?
>>

> I will do that work repeatedly, say after 5 minutes interval.
> extract the content, save that in a text pad.

Good for you. Keeps you occupied.
However it is not really sensible.

Javascript on a browser is, I told you so,
embedded by the page programmer.

In the case of the Gmail Inbox, it seems more sensible
to make a gmail pop3
and access it, say, from a serverside coded webpage.

<http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/092201-1.shtml>

Under serverside ASP [can be done in jscript]
I nowadays would use CDO or Jmail.

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

subhadip

On Mar 27, 4:18 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> >> You cannot embed javascript in the webpage of another on your
> >> browser.

> >> You could use a servlet/bookmarklet to [IE] rerieve the innerText,
> >> but writing with that to a file on the local pc is not easy.

> >> Why not just do a ctrl-a ctrl-c of the page, and dump that in
> >> notepad?

> > I will do that work repeatedly, say after 5 minutes interval.
> > extract the content, save that in a text pad.

> Good for you. Keeps you occupied.
> However it is not really sensible.
>
> Javascript on a browser is, I told you so,
> embedded by the page programmer.
>
> In the case of the Gmail Inbox, it seems more sensible
> to make a gmail pop3
> and access it, say, from a serverside coded webpage.
>
> <http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/092201-1.shtml>
>
> Under serverside ASP [can be done in jscript]
> I nowadays would use CDO or Jmail.
>
> --
> Evertjan.
> The Netherlands.

not really . there is a browser , named OPERA , who will give the
options to embed javascript in browser corresponding to that page .
see http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/ .
gmail is just a example . i want to do this for the webmails that
don't allow pop .

Evertjan.

subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> On Mar 27, 4:18 pm, "Evertjan." <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>> subhadip wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

>> > I will do that work repeatedly, say after 5 minutes interval.
>> > extract the content, save that in a text pad.

>> Good for you. Keeps you occupied.
>> However it is not really sensible.
>>
>> Javascript on a browser is, I told you so,
>> embedded by the page programmer.
>>
>> In the case of the Gmail Inbox, it seems more sensible
>> to make a gmail pop3
>> and access it, say, from a serverside coded webpage.
>>
>> <http://www.4guysfromrolla.com/webtech/092201-1.shtml>
>>
>> Under serverside ASP [can be done in jscript]
>> I nowadays would use CDO or Jmail.
>>
>> --

[please do not quote signatures on usenet]

> not really . there is a browser , named OPERA , who will give the
> options to embed javascript in browser corresponding to that page .
> see http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/ .
> gmail is just a example . i want to do this for the webmails that
> don't allow pop .

Not really what?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

scripts.contact

On Mar 27, 6:08 am, "subhadip" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> > Javascript on a browser is, I told you so,
> > embedded by the page programmer.

> not really . there is a browser , named OPERA , who will give the
> options to embed javascript in browser corresponding to that page .
> see http://www.opera.com/support/tutorials/userjs/.

Request UserJS here-
http://my.opera.com/community/forums/forum.dml?id=114

Hardono Arifanto

I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you
going to need special browser such as Opera or creating your own
extension on Firefox.

A solution using Desktop application (be it in Perl/.NET/Phyton)
should be simpler to construct.

Regards,
Hardono Arifanto
-----------------------
http://sodeve.net

Evertjan.

Hardono Arifanto wrote on 27 mrt 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> I believe if you insist to use Javascript to solve your problem you

What are you responding on?
Who is "you"?

[please always quote on usenet, this is not email]

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.