Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location bar?

FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location bar?

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location
bar?

This text can only be altered by changing the URL of the page.
The normal solution is to use frames, though this can introduce
problems of its own.

===
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://jibbering.com/faq/index.html.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

OmegaJunior

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:00:01 +0100, FAQ server <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location
> bar?
>
> This text can only be altered by changing the URL of the page.
> The normal solution is to use frames, though this can introduce
> problems of its own.

Changing the text in the address bar is _not done_.

Why would you assume the audacity to change the user's computer at all?
The browser is the user's property, not the author's. The fact that any
browser allows an author to remove or change the address bar at all is
pure arrogance. Keep your hands off of my browser! Your domain is the
contents of the window, not the window itself. That's mine.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)1.lb.
home.nl>, Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:21:30, OmegaJunior <omegajunior@spamremove
..omegajunior.net> posted:
>On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:00:01 +0100, FAQ server
><(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>> FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location
>> bar?
>>
>> This text can only be altered by changing the URL of the page.
>> The normal solution is to use frames, though this can introduce
>> problems of its own.

>Changing the text in the address bar is _not done_.

Of course it is. It is part of the expected action on clicking a normal
hyperlink, or assigning to location.href. Obviously Jim (?) momentarily
forget that subtlety is wasted in News.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. REPLYyyww merlyn demon co uk Turnpike 6.05.
No Encoding. Quotes precede replies. Snip well. Write clearly. Mail no News.

OmegaJunior

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 19:52:56 +0100, Randy Webb <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:

> OmegaJunior said the following on 3/11/2007 12:21 PM:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:00:01 +0100, FAQ server
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location
>>> bar?
>>>
>>> This text can only be altered by changing the URL of the page.
>>> The normal solution is to use frames, though this can introduce
>>> problems of its own.
>>>

>> Changing the text in the address bar is _not done_.

> Sure it is, every time you navigate it changes. And yes, I can change
> the text in the address bar with javascript. Make you a simple test page
> with a simple script:
>
> function changeTheAddressBarText()
> {
> window.location.href = "http://www.google.com"
> }
> window.setTimeout(changeTheAddressBarText,3000)
>
> Watch your address bar and then come back and let me know it didn't
> change via scripting.
>
>> Why would you assume the audacity to change the user's computer at all?

> It's the way of the web. Links change the user's computer too, you want
> to get rid of them also?
>
>> The browser is the user's property, not the author's.

> Nobody said any different.
>
>> The fact that any browser allows an author to remove or change the
>> address bar at all is pure arrogance.

> Pure utter nonsense. See above and get back to us on it.
>
>> Keep your hands off of my browser!

> Nobody put hands on your browser.
>
>> Your domain is the contents of the window, not the window itself.

> As long as the "window" doesn't include the text in the address bar.......

No. The address bar contents are changed by the user and by the browser....
and I expect no less. That address bar is owned by the browser so it can
pretty much do with it what it wants. And that browser is owned by me, so
if it doesn't do what I want I'll go with the competition. Plenty of
browsers out there. If need be I'll whip up my own.

The web page author _can_ change the contents of the address bar, but they
_shouldn't_. Don't presume that you should just because you can. That too,
is arrogance. Why? Because that address bar contains crucial information
which allows me to identify a resource. It shows me who you are, so I know
or can find out whether I can trust you or not.

If the web author chooses to obfuscate that identification, that trust is
lost. If I suspect you're tampering with my address bar, you will loose me
as a customer. Bye bye, I'll spend my money over at your competition, who
don't cheat.

OmegaJunior

On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 21:32:50 +0100, Dr J R Stockton
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

> In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)1.lb.
> home.nl>, Sun, 11 Mar 2007 17:21:30, OmegaJunior <omegajunior@spamremove
> .omegajunior.net> posted:
>> On Sun, 11 Mar 2007 01:00:01 +0100, FAQ server
>> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>>> FAQ Topic - How do I change the text in the url/location
>>> bar?
>>>
>>> This text can only be altered by changing the URL of the page.
>>> The normal solution is to use frames, though this can introduce
>>> problems of its own.

>> Changing the text in the address bar is _not done_.

> Of course it is. It is part of the expected action on clicking a normal
> hyperlink, or assigning to location.href. Obviously Jim (?) momentarily
> forget that subtlety is wasted in News.

Dude. I was talking about a web author changing the address. That's what
the FAQ is addressing as well. We all know that the _browser_ can change
its own address bar. Don't change topics on me now.