Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > converting Date() to unix timestamp format?

converting Date() to unix timestamp format?

marc@gaspdesign.co.uk

hi

im trying to convert Date() into a unix timestamp so i can stick the
result into a mysql db, please help!

Lee

>hi
>
>im trying to convert Date() into a unix timestamp so i can stick the
>result into a mysql db, please help!

I've been using Unix since before you were born (I can tell by
the fact that you haven't learned to use the SHIFT key), and
have no idea what you mean by a "unix timestamp" and don't have
any inclination to look at mysql documentation to see what they
think it is.

Give an example of what you want.

Bart Van der Donck

Lee wrote:

> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>> im trying to convert Date() into a unix timestamp so i can
>> stick the result into a mysql db, please help!

> I've been using Unix since before you were born (I can tell by
> the fact that you haven't learned to use the SHIFT key), and
> have no idea what you mean by a "unix timestamp"

Then you should definitely start learning about it!

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_Timestamp
http://www.unixtimestamp.com

> and don't have any inclination to look at mysql documentation
> to see what they think it is.

The Unix timestamp is well-known and defined; it is the number of
seconds since Epoch. But the MySQL timestamp is different, that uses
the YYYYMMDDHHmmSS-format. Since the objective is to store a timestamp
in MySQL, one should opt to play by the MySQL rules here. Suppose this
table:

CREATE TABLE `tt` (`a` timestamp(14) NOT NULL);

If the OP's intention is to insert the current time in db -which I
suspect- then just do:

INSERT INTO `tt` VALUES ( NOW() );

And then one could read it out as Unix timestamp:

SELECT UNIX_TIMESTAMP(a) FROM tt;

No need for any javascript or shell commands.

If the intention is to store a timestamp that is not the current one,
then let javascript's Date() calculate the specific time of your
interest in (MySQL's) YYYYMMDDHHmmSS-format, like eg. 20040318140523
for March 18 2004, 14:05:23. Then do:

INSERT INTO `tt` VALUES ( `20040318140523` );

Alternatively, in stead of using Date() in javascript, one could use
MySQL's date functions, which might be experienced as more terse and
powerful:

http://dev.mysql.com/doc/en/Date_and...functions.html

--
Bart

Lee

Bart Van der Donck said:

>Lee wrote:
>
>> (E-Mail Removed) said:
>>> im trying to convert Date() into a unix timestamp so i can
>>> stick the result into a mysql db, please help!

>> I've been using Unix since before you were born (I can tell by
>> the fact that you haven't learned to use the SHIFT key), and
>> have no idea what you mean by a "unix timestamp"

>Then you should definitely start learning about it!
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Unix_Timestamp
> http://www.unixtimestamp.com

I've never heard Epoch time called "Unix timestamp". Maybe the
term is popular with non-Unix users?

It's also obviously, from your further description, not what
the OP meant.

Bart Van der Donck

Lee wrote:

> I've never heard Epoch time called "Unix timestamp". Maybe the
> term is popular with non-Unix users?

With Unix users in the first place, I'ld say...

> It's also obviously, from your further description, not what
> the OP meant.

The original poster wants to insert a timestamp in MySQL. The
recommended way to do that, is to use MySQL's TIMESTAMP data type,
which is intended especially for that purpose. MySQL knows the
UNIX_TIMESTAMP() function for quick&easy over-and-back conversions
between Unix' and MySQL's timestamps.

--
Bart

Lee

Bart Van der Donck said:

>Lee wrote:
>
>> I've never heard Epoch time called "Unix timestamp". Maybe the
>> term is popular with non-Unix users?

>With Unix users in the first place, I'ld say...

Unix users don't call "ls" "the Unix ls command". They call it "ls".
Similarly, Unix users (the many that I know, at least) aren't likely
to call epoch time "the Unix timestamp".

If there's a mysql function called UNIX_TIMESTAMP(), then there's
a pretty good clue as to where the term originated.

Dr J R Stockton

In comp.lang.javascript message <(E-Mail Removed)
oglegroups.com>, Tue, 6 Mar 2007 08:24:03, "(E-Mail Removed)"
<(E-Mail Removed)> posted:

>im trying to convert Date() into a unix timestamp so i can stick the
>result into a mysql db, please help!

In Javascript, Date() gives a string, and of undefined format (ISO 16262
15.9.2 &c). It's not a good starting-point for most requirements.

But new Date() gives a Date Object, and so + new Date() gives
the number of milliseconds (ignoring Leap Seconds, but not Summer Time)
since the Javascript Epoch. Converting that to the number of seconds
since the UNIX Epoch can be left as an exercise.

If you want a MySQL format from a Javascript group, you should give its
definition. Does it require to be in UTC or in local, with/without
offset in what form? In any case, reading the newsgroup FAQ should put
you in the right direction.

If you require a string YYYYMMDDhhmmss, it's easiest to use, in a string
context, Y*1e10 + M*1e8 + D*1e6 + h*1e4 + m*1e2 + s*1e0 .

BTW, in the FAQ, it may become desirable to convert from ISBN-10 to the
current ISBN-13 : see <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-misc0.htm>.

It's a good idea to read the newsgroup and its FAQ. See below.