Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Backward/forward through history

Backward/forward through history

Otto Wyss

I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
cookie have afterwards?

O. Wyss

--
Cross-platform applications: http://wyoguide.sf.net/index.php

Randy Webb

Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

Yes.

> Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
> cookie have afterwards?

alert it and see.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind

Evertjan.

Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:

> Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
>> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
>> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

> Yes.

Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,
or if the cashe is emptied,
the page is reloaded from the server.

>> Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
>> cookie have afterwards?

> alert it and see.

Shall we hear the result, Otto?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.

Randy Webb

Evertjan. said the following on 2/15/2007 4:23 AM:
> Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
>> Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
>>> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
>>> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

>> Yes.

> Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,

And assuming the browser honors that header.

> or if the cashe is emptied,

Now that is true.

--

Evertjan. wrote:
> Randy Webb wrote on 15 feb 2007 in comp.lang.javascript:
>
>> Otto Wyss said the following on 2/14/2007 10:19 PM:
>>> I guess moving backward/forward through history is done only in the
>>> browser without communicating with the server. Is that right?

>> Yes.

> Not in the sense that if the page is set not to reuse the cashed version,
> or if the cashe is emptied,
> the page is reloaded from the server.

or unless I use reload(true)?

>>> Yet when I change a cookie and use history.back() what value does the
>>> cookie have afterwards?

>> alert it and see.

> Shall we hear the result, Otto?

Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
nice sample code?

O. Wyss
--
Cross-platform applications:
http://wyoguide.sf.net/index.php?page=projectlist.php

Randy Webb

Otto Wyss said the following on 2/15/2007 3:53 PM:
> Evertjan. wrote:
>>> alert it and see.

>> Shall we hear the result, Otto?
>>

> Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
> nice sample code?

While the question there is how to test if a browser accepts cookies or
not, the URL References are a good start on learning cookies.

--

Otto Wyss wrote:
> Sure, as soon as I've figured out how to code accessing cookies. Any
> nice sample code?

Okay here is what I've found out. The cookie isn't changed as long as no
code to change the cookie is used. E.g. if a cookie is set in an
"onchange" handler the value stays the same when moving through the
history. But if the cookie is set in the body its value is changed.

O. Wyss