Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > How to export diagram as interactive website

How to export diagram as interactive website

Marcus

Hy!

I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram with round about 200 entities
and 800 relationships between these entities. Little bit of horror,
but I am on my way.

My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
(with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram? I want
to click on an entity and then only want to see the relationships for
this entity. Nothing else. Is there such a tool or do you know a tool
where i can make such interactive sites on my own?

One tool that is pretty much close is Personalbrain
(www.thebrain.com). But this tool cannot generate websites from the
mindmap!

sorry for my bad english. I hope you understand what I want to have.

Thx in advance!

Greetings
Marcus

Andy Dingley

On 12 Feb, 08:43, "Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram with round about 200 entities
> and 800 relationships between these entities. Little bit of horror,
> but I am on my way.

I no longer use Visio (I've been a big fan for the dozen years sionce
it was first released). The problem is that since M$oft bought it, it
has transformed from an application that encouraged interworking and
the use of open standards into one that's ever more closely tied into M
$ Orifice and is fit for little more than making pretty powerpoints
for the stupid people in the nice suits.

> My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
> (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

You want to end up with something that's SVG-based. I'm a few years
out of touch with how you do this -- last time I did it was hand-
rolled server-side SQL and XSLT, then a home-brew Java applet on the
client. There's certainly something better and ready-made by now.

Protege and Jambalaya are entirely unrelated tools for doing this
with, but they work really well for it

Travis Newbury

On Feb 12, 3:43 am, "Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
> I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram...
> My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
> (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

Make it "from" the Visio file? Probably not. Can you manually do
this? Absolutely. You could use javascript (ajax) or Flash to do it.
If you were really fancy, you could probably do it using just server
side scripting. But I don't believe there is a tool that will go from
visio to interactive web page.

Turbo

On Feb 12, 4:38 am, "Travis Newbury" <(E-Mail Removed)>
wrote:
> On Feb 12, 3:43 am, "Marcus" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
> > I use Visio 2002 to draw an ER-Diagram...
> > My question is, is there a tool that can create an interactive website
> > (with dhtml, ajax or something like that) from such a diagram?

> Make it "from" the Visio file? Probably not. Can you manually do
> this? Absolutely. You could use javascript (ajax) or Flash to do it.
> If you were really fancy, you could probably do it using just server
> side scripting. But I don't believe there is a tool that will go from
> visio to interactive web page.

You can publish your Visio to HTML format. Then it can create a set of
or single page flow chart that you can zoom in on and do searches. You
need to experiment with Visio publishing options under the HTML type.