Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > I need to write an ASP that requires a user to give a User Name and Password to run it.

I need to write an ASP that requires a user to give a User Name and Password to run it.

Zachary Hilbun

I need to write an ASP that requires a user to give a User Name and Password
to run it. Whenever I've used this on the Web it displays a standard dialog
and then offers to save the User Name and Password on my computer so that I
don't have to enter it again. How is it that this standard dialog is
displayed? Does the ASP (in my case C#) do this or does the Web Server do
this and the ASP never knows about it?

Zachary Hilbun
Software Consultant http://www.vianova.com
Via Nova OpenGL, Open Inventor 3D products, Windows 95/NT
Dallas, Texas VC++, C#, embedded systems, VxD's
1977 SSII SRX31185
Glock 30

=?Utf-8?B?UGF0cmljay5PLklnZQ==?=

Zachary Hilbun..
Are u interested in implementiing Authentication?
Patrick

"Zachary Hilbun" wrote:

> I need to write an ASP that requires a user to give a User Name and Password
> to run it. Whenever I've used this on the Web it displays a standard dialog
> and then offers to save the User Name and Password on my computer so that I
> don't have to enter it again. How is it that this standard dialog is
> displayed? Does the ASP (in my case C#) do this or does the Web Server do
> this and the ASP never knows about it?
>
> ================================================== =
> Zachary Hilbun
> Software Consultant http://www.vianova.com
> Via Nova OpenGL, Open Inventor 3D products, Windows 95/NT
> Dallas, Texas VC++, C#, embedded systems, VxD's
> 1977 SSII SRX31185
> Glock 30

clintonG

It sounds like IIS is configured for Windows authentication. For websites we
almost always use anonymous authentication. I suggest you go to MSDN and
read some articles about form based authentication but start with this [1]
document and check out the IIS FAQ [2].

C# is used to develop ASP.NET applications (Web Forms) and can be used for
Windows Forms (desktop) applications. VBScript is used for ASP.

--
<%= Clinton Gallagher
METROmilwaukee "Regional Information Services"

[1] http://support.microsoft.com/default...;en-us;Q305140
[2] http://www.iisfaq.com/

"Zachary Hilbun" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:bqowd.786$(E-Mail Removed).. .
> I need to write an ASP that requires a user to give a User Name and

Password
> to run it. Whenever I've used this on the Web it displays a standard

dialog
> and then offers to save the User Name and Password on my computer so that

> don't have to enter it again. How is it that this standard dialog is
> displayed? Does the ASP (in my case C#) do this or does the Web Server do
> this and the ASP never knows about it?
>
> ================================================== =
> Zachary Hilbun
> Software Consultant http://www.vianova.com
> Via Nova OpenGL, Open Inventor 3D products, Windows 95/NT
> Dallas, Texas VC++, C#, embedded systems, VxD's
> 1977 SSII SRX31185
> Glock 30

This setting is as part of the client side ie browser
settings.
ie browser->Tools->Internet Options->Content[tab]->Press
Autocomplete Button-> Disable the promt to save check box-
>Press Ok Button

regards
Subramanian

Zachary Hilbun

The part of this I don't understand is what has to happen to make sure the
standard browser dialog gets poped up that asks them for name and password.
I may want to store a name and password myself and check it rather than
using something like Windows authentication, but have the browser pop up
it's dialog to ask for it and offer to store in on the users computer.

Zachary Hilbun
Software Consultant http://www.vianova.com
Via Nova OpenGL, Open Inventor 3D products, Windows 95/NT
Dallas, Texas VC++, C#, embedded systems, VxD's
1977 SSII SRX31185
Glock 30

news:(E-Mail Removed)...