Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > mozilla

mozilla

graeme@invalid

I have been using Thunderbird for months and am very happy with it. I
originally posted my real Email address in the newsgroup accounts and I
now get at least five infected Emails everyday. This is not a problem
as Vet anti virus cleans them and Thunderbird moves them automatically
to the junk file.

Last night I was using Mozilla and noticed two files in the junk file.
I decided to run virus scan and it detected two infected files in the
junk file but could not clean them. I deleted the files to trash and
then cleaned out the trash file. I checked that trash was empty and did
another scan. It found two infected files in the trash can even though
it appeared empty. Vet was still uable to clean the fies, but did give
me the full path to the infected files which I easily manually deleted.

I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.

graeme@invalid

Moz Champion wrote:

> graeme@invalid wrote:
>
>> I have been using Thunderbird for months and am very happy with it. I
>> originally posted my real Email address in the newsgroup accounts and
>> I now get at least five infected Emails everyday. This is not a
>> problem as Vet anti virus cleans them and Thunderbird moves them
>> automatically to the junk file.
>>
>> Last night I was using Mozilla and noticed two files in the junk file.
>> I decided to run virus scan and it detected two infected files in the
>> junk file but could not clean them. I deleted the files to trash and
>> then cleaned out the trash file. I checked that trash was empty and
>> did another scan. It found two infected files in the trash can even
>> though it appeared empty. Vet was still uable to clean the fies, but
>> did give me the full path to the infected files which I easily
>> manually deleted.
>>
>> I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
>> get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.

> First, having the infected files there is not a danger. They would only
> be dangerous if you opened the attachments in the files.
>
> Second, you may have emptied the trash, but probably didnt compress the
> folders. Compress the folders and the messages will be GONE
>
> Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
> simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
> empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
> where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders tells
> Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have any
> pointer to them.

Thanks I have a much better idea on how it works

Moz Champion

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Brian

graeme@invalid wrote :
> I have been using Thunderbird for months and am very happy with it. I
> originally posted my real Email address in the newsgroup accounts and I
> now get at least five infected Emails everyday. This is not a problem
> as Vet anti virus cleans them and Thunderbird moves them automatically
> to the junk file.
>
> Last night I was using Mozilla and noticed two files in the junk file. I
> decided to run virus scan and it detected two infected files in the junk
> file but could not clean them. I deleted the files to trash and then
> cleaned out the trash file. I checked that trash was empty and did
> another scan. It found two infected files in the trash can even though
> it appeared empty. Vet was still uable to clean the fies, but did give
> me the full path to the infected files which I easily manually deleted.
>
> I do not know if it is a Mozilla problem or a Vet problem but until I
> get some logical answers I will not be using Mozilla.

Compact Folders.

--
Brian

http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

Nicolas Chevreux

Hello,

on 01/Sep/04 09:03 Moz Champion wrote:
> Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
> simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
> empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
> where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders tells
> Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have any
> pointer to them.

This is clear and works, but why is it so? What is the reason behind not
directly removing the deleted emails and items? When one has a lot of
folders, it means that one has to manually compact all of them pretty
regularely.

Nicolas
--
Ad Noiseam
www.adnoiseam.net

Andreas

Nicolas Chevreux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on 01/Sep/04 09:03 Moz Champion wrote:
>
>> Moving items to trash doesnt remove them, doesnt even move them. It
>> simple sets the pointers to the file to point to the trash. When you
>> empty the trash, it removes the pointers, but the file still remains
>> where it was before you moved it to trash. Compressing the folders
>> tells Mozilla to delete any files that were treshed and no longer have
>> any pointer to them.

> This is clear and works, but why is it so? What is the reason behind not
> directly removing the deleted emails and items? When one has a lot of
> folders, it means that one has to manually compact all of them pretty
> regularely.
>
> Nicolas

No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will only
have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

Andreas

To contact me remove the NOSPAM

Nicolas Chevreux

Hello,

on 01/Sep/04 16:21 Andreas wrote:
> No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
> compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
> account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will only
> have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

Interesting. I use TB 0.8 with the global inbox. In this case, how does
it work? I just noticed that several of my folder had to be compacted
for a loooong time.

BTW, stupid question, but how does it work with news and feeds?

Nicolas
--
Ad Noiseam
www.adnoiseam.net

Andreas

Nicolas Chevreux wrote:
> Hello,
>
> on 01/Sep/04 16:21 Andreas wrote:
>
>> No, you don't compact all of them individually. When you use the
>> compact folders option, it compacts everything within that email
>> account. So, if you have 3 different email accounts, then you will
>> only have to do it 3 times -- once for each account.

> Interesting. I use TB 0.8 with the global inbox. In this case, how does
> it work? I just noticed that several of my folder had to be compacted
> for a loooong time.

I don't know. I don't use TB, just Moz. But try clicking on File.

> BTW, stupid question, but how does it work with news and feeds?
>
> Nicolas

News -- it doesn't. Just for mail.

Feeds -- I have no idea.

on 01/Sep/04 17:00 Andreas wrote:
> But try clicking on File.

Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by this.

Nicolas
--
Ad Noiseam
www.adnoiseam.net

Andreas

Nicolas Chevreux wrote:

> Hello,
>
> on 01/Sep/04 17:00 Andreas wrote:
>
>> But try clicking on File.

> Sorry, but I am not sure what you mean by this.
>
> Nicolas

I don't know anything about T'bird, but for Compacting Folders, try
clicking on File, the Compact Folders. Unless, of course, T'bird
doesn't have File, then its located somewhere else, which you'll have to
find.