Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Does Anyone Recommend Addition of MSIE7 To Development Environment?

Reply
Thread Tools

Does Anyone Recommend Addition of MSIE7 To Development Environment?

 
 
Patient Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-12-2006

The question in the subject seems plain to me. I wonder if
EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother adding IE7 even to the
clients in which to test script/code.

The same goes for any web document, interactive/dynamic or otherwise,
developer: does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Michaux
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-12-2006
Patient Guy wrote:
> The question in the subject seems plain to me. I wonder if
> EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother adding IE7 even to the
> clients in which to test script/code.


Yes of of course.

IE 7 is already being used by many people and if you want your scripts
to last then IE 7 will be very important. Just today I had to fix a
legacy script that broke in IE 7.

These links are just to give a general idea that IE 7 is currently
important to some people.

<http://www.w3schools.com/browsers/browsers_stats.asp>

<http://developer.yahoo.com/yui/articles/gbs/gbs_browser-chart.html>

Peter

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Richard Cornford
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-12-2006
Patient Guy wrote:
> The question in the subject seems plain to me.


Maybe it does but on Usenet it is inappropriate to assume that all
readers have access to the subject header, and so questions should
always appear in the message body.

> I wonder if EMCAscript/Javascript developers should even bother
> adding IE7 even to the clients in which to test script/code.


Microsoft will be delivering IE 7 with new OSs (in the sense of future
OSs and new versions/releases of current OSs) so not testing with IE 7
should not even be considered an option in a commercial context.

> The same goes for any web document, interactive/dynamic or otherwise,
> developer:


Yes it probably does.

> does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?


This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
conformance belongs elsewhere.

Richard.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Patient Guy
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2006
"Richard Cornford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
comp.lang.javascript:

> Patient Guy wrote:



>
>> does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?

>
> This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
> conformance belongs elsewhere.


Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:

For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style object in
Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to properties specified in
CSS, does the presentation of the style of the document conform to the CSS
specification as it is interfaced through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to
what degree does it conform to any specification?

 
Reply With Quote
 
Peter Michaux
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2006
Patient Guy wrote:
> "Richard Cornford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
> comp.lang.javascript:
> > Patient Guy wrote:

>
> >
> >> does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?

> >
> > This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
> > conformance belongs elsewhere.

>
> Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:
>
> For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style object in
> Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to properties specified in
> CSS, does the presentation of the style of the document conform to the CSS
> specification as it is interfaced through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to
> what degree does it conform to any specification?


The lawyers are going to pounce.

Peter

(z-index vs. zIndex)

 
Reply With Quote
 
Yuri Nassol
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2006
"Peter Michaux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.javascript:

> Patient Guy wrote:
>> "Richard Cornford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>> comp.lang.javascript:
>> > Patient Guy wrote:

>>
>> >
>> >> does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?
>> >
>> > This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
>> > conformance belongs elsewhere.

>>
>> Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:
>>
>> For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style
>> object in Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to
>> properties specified in CSS, does the presentation of the style of
>> the document conform to the CSS specification as it is interfaced
>> through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to what degree does it conform to
>> any specification?

>
> The lawyers are going to pounce.
>
> Peter
>
> (z-index vs. zIndex)


Why? I have made the question of style relevant to Javascript/ECMAscript
now. What does it matter if I ask for how the effects of directing the
style of a document are achieved whether through scripting or through the
direct use of CSS, and whether it conforms to the specifications of style
which scripters expect to see? Thus scripters must know the styling
specification when they make use of its interface.



 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2006
Yuri Nassol said the following on 12/15/2006 2:31 AM:
> "Peter Michaux" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in comp.lang.javascript:
>
>> Patient Guy wrote:
>>> "Richard Cornford" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in
>>> comp.lang.javascript:
>>>> Patient Guy wrote:
>>>>> does IE7 finally get CSS right, and to what level?
>>>> This is a javascript newsgroup and so the general discussion of CSS
>>>> conformance belongs elsewhere.
>>> Then let's re-phrase the question for the lawyers in the group:
>>>
>>> For those who are able and want to affect properties of the style
>>> object in Javascript/ECMAscript, whose naming is identical to
>>> properties specified in CSS, does the presentation of the style of
>>> the document conform to the CSS specification as it is interfaced
>>> through Javascript/ECMAscript, and to what degree does it conform to
>>> any specification?

>> The lawyers are going to pounce.
>>
>> Peter
>>
>> (z-index vs. zIndex)

>
> Why?


Because that is how anal retentive lawyers operate. All you did was fall
for the trap.

> I have made the question of style relevant to Javascript/ECMAscript
> now.


Actually, you didn't.

> What does it matter if I ask for how the effects of directing the
> style of a document are achieved whether through scripting or through the
> direct use of CSS, and whether it conforms to the specifications of style
> which scripters expect to see?


Neither is relevant. A better question is "Is there anything in the
foreseeable future that might alleviate the problems in scripting
styles, whether it be from ECMA or the W3C?"

> Thus scripters must know the styling specification when they make use
> of its interface.


z-Index says that is an incorrect statement. As does background-color in
CSS.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Is there anyone who can recommend some Good C language Development Tools? Elisa C Programming 20 10-30-2011 04:22 AM
Can anyone recommend a photo sharing site that does group discussion/criticism? Al Dykes Digital Photography 6 04-06-2007 10:42 AM
Office Development (feature addition) Midnight Java Junkie ASP .Net 0 06-20-2004 07:24 AM
Office Development (feature addition) Midnight Java Junkie ASP .Net Building Controls 0 06-20-2004 07:24 AM



Advertisments