Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > from staging to production

from staging to production

rom

what do i have to more from staging to production every
time i make changes? all the files only? what about the
dll in the bin directory? if i copy the dll file do i also
have to copy the aspx and aspx.vb files?

thanks.

Hans Kesting

rom wrote:
> what do i have to more from staging to production every
> time i make changes? all the files only? what about the
> dll in the bin directory? if i copy the dll file do i also
> have to copy the aspx and aspx.vb files?
>
> thanks.

If the change is just in an aspx (or ascx, or config file)
then you can copy just that file.
If the change is in code(-behind) then you need to copy
the compiled dll. You do *not* need to copy .vb (or .cs) files.

Hans Kesting

John Saunders

"rom" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:082001c4e358$575ce730$(E-Mail Removed)...
> what do i have to more from staging to production every
> time i make changes? all the files only? what about the
> dll in the bin directory? if i copy the dll file do i also
> have to copy the aspx and aspx.vb files?

If you're using Visual Studio.NET, you can use the Project->Copy Project
command, which has an option to only copy the files needed for the
application. I often use this command to copy to a dummy location, then
deploy the files from the dummy location to the staging or production
server.

John Saunders