Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Need Help getting a debugger going for IE - any free debugger

Need Help getting a debugger going for IE - any free debugger

aflat362

I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
works sorta like this:

I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.

I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.

I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
a javascript function to be kicked off.

I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
through the code.

The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
PHP.

Can anyone help?

I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.

Thanks!

pcx99

aflat362 wrote:
> I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
> works sorta like this:
>
> I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.
>
> I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.
>
> I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
> a javascript function to be kicked off.
>
> I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
> through the code.
>
> The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
> PHP.
>

> Can anyone help?
>
> I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
> Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.
>
> Thanks!

Not what you're looking for but mostly what you're looking for.
Firefox 2 (neutral platform) and firebug (
http://www.joehewitt.com/software/firebug/ ) one of the few -- great --
javascript debuggers.

Oh yea, it's free too.

Not sure that it will let you insert break points, but you can do that
with greasemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) together these two
tools can pretty much give you everything you need.

Except for the IE part. But most of us would consider that another plus

http://www.hunlock.com
$FA

delraydog@gmail.com

There aren't very many good debugging tools for JavaScript in IE,
except for the phenomenal Visual Studio... I used to get very
frustrated trying to debug JavaScript code in IE, but now I actually
develop/debug in IE before Firefox as the debugger is (in my opinion)
more powerful than the Firefox offering... if you're paid to develop
code then you may want to consider the investment in Visual Studio,
just ask yourself how much is your time worth, and is your time worth
more than what you'd waste on less than adequate solutions? You could
also check out debugbar but I never really had much luck with that
product, it's more of a glorified DOM inspector tool...

Good luck.

Cliff.

pcx99 wrote:
> aflat362 wrote:
> > I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
> > works sorta like this:
> >
> > I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.
> >
> > I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.
> >
> > I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
> > a javascript function to be kicked off.
> >
> > I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
> > through the code.
> >
> > The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
> > PHP.
> >

> > Can anyone help?
> >
> > I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
> > Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Not what you're looking for but mostly what you're looking for.
> Firefox 2 (neutral platform) and firebug (
> http://www.joehewitt.com/software/firebug/ ) one of the few -- great --
> javascript debuggers.
>
> Oh yea, it's free too.
>
> Not sure that it will let you insert break points, but you can do that
> with greasemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) together these two
> tools can pretty much give you everything you need.
>
> Except for the IE part. But most of us would consider that another plus

> http://www.hunlock.com
> $FA

naixn

aflat362 wrote :
> I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
> works sorta like this:
>
> I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.
>
> I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.
>
> I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
> a javascript function to be kicked off.
>
> I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
> through the code.
>
> The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
> PHP.
>

> Can anyone help?
>
> I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
> Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.
>
> Thanks!

http://getfirebug.com/lite.html

Enjoy

--
Naixn
http://fma-fr.net

aflat362

I have visual studio.

I don't create my web apps with it but its installed on my machine.

How do you use visual studio to debug javascript on a website that
isn't a .Net project?

Lets say you visit a website that has some javascript code on it that
gets called when you click a button.

Take this page for example.

http://www.intranetjournal.com/corne...ex/ex2_4.shtml

can you visit this page, and use Visual Studio to step through the
javascript function

function valid(form){
var input=0;
input=document.myform.data.value;
alert("Hello " + input + " ! Welcome...");
}

Like put a breakpoint on varinput=0 so you can debug from there with
the typical "step over, step into, run to breakpoint" commands and
inspect the value of variables.

> There aren't very many good debugging tools for JavaScript in IE,
> except for the phenomenal Visual Studio... I used to get very
> frustrated trying to debug JavaScript code in IE, but now I actually
> develop/debug in IE before Firefox as the debugger is (in my opinion)
> more powerful than the Firefox offering... if you're paid to develop
> code then you may want to consider the investment in Visual Studio,
> just ask yourself how much is your time worth, and is your time worth
> more than what you'd waste on less than adequate solutions? You could
> also check out debugbar but I never really had much luck with that
> product, it's more of a glorified DOM inspector tool...
>
> Good luck.
>
> Cliff.
>

> pcx99 wrote:
> > aflat362 wrote:
> > > I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
> > > works sorta like this:
> > >
> > > I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.
> > >
> > > I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.
> > >
> > > I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
> > > a javascript function to be kicked off.
> > >
> > > I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
> > > through the code.
> > >
> > > The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
> > > PHP.
> > >

> > > Can anyone help?
> > >
> > > I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
> > > Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > >

> > Not what you're looking for but mostly what you're looking for.
> > Firefox 2 (neutral platform) and firebug (
> > http://www.joehewitt.com/software/firebug/ ) one of the few -- great --
> > javascript debuggers.
> >
> > Oh yea, it's free too.
> >
> > Not sure that it will let you insert break points, but you can do that
> > with greasemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) together these two
> > tools can pretty much give you everything you need.
> >
> > Except for the IE part. But most of us would consider that another plus

> > http://www.hunlock.com
> > $FA

aflat362

pcx99 wrote:
> aflat362 wrote:
> > I would like a free Javascript debugger for Internet Explorer that
> > works sorta like this:
> >
> > I visit a web site that has javascript code on it.
> >
> > I pop open a debugger and set a breakpoint.
> >
> > I go back to my website and click a button or do something that causes
> > a javascript function to be kicked off.
> >
> > I go back to the debugger and can now inspect variable values and step
> > through the code.
> >
> > The debugger has to be platform neutral. I write web sites in Java and
> > PHP.
> >

> > Can anyone help?

Thanks for the suggestion - but I really need a debugger that will
debug the evil propriatery Internet Explorer version of Javascript
since I work for a company that insists on having IE as the standard
web client.

> > I've looked around and found several debuggers like the "Microsoft
> > Script Debugger" but I can never get them to work like I've described.
> >
> > Thanks!
> >

> Not what you're looking for but mostly what you're looking for.
> Firefox 2 (neutral platform) and firebug (
> http://www.joehewitt.com/software/firebug/ ) one of the few -- great --
> javascript debuggers.
>
> Oh yea, it's free too.
>
> Not sure that it will let you insert break points, but you can do that
> with greasemonkey ( http://greasemonkey.mozdev.org/ ) together these two
> tools can pretty much give you everything you need.
>
> Except for the IE part. But most of us would consider that another plus

> http://www.hunlock.com
> $FA

VK

aflat362 wrote:
> Lets say you visit a website that has some javascript code on it that
> gets called when you click a button.
>
> Take this page for example.
>
> http://www.intranetjournal.com/corne...ex/ex2_4.shtml
>
> can you visit this page, and use Visual Studio to step through the
> javascript function
>
> function valid(form){
> var input=0;
> input=document.myform.data.value;
> alert("Hello " + input + " ! Welcome...");
> }
>

> Like put a breakpoint on varinput=0 so you can debug from there with
> the typical "step over, step into, run to breakpoint" commands and
> inspect the value of variables.

Either I'm missing extra circumstances of your situation - or you are
missing extra feature of Microsoft Script Debugger
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Microsoft_Script_Debugger>

With the debugger installed and enabled you can use extra JScript
commands and objects:
debugger (== breakpoint), Debug.write, Debug.writeln

This way:

function valid(form){
var input=0;
debugger; // stop here and open debugger
Debug.write(document.myform.data.value);
input=document.myform.data.value;
alert("Hello " + input + " ! Welcome...");
}

and then use step forward - back to study the program flow.

btw it seems like you're having a particular problem with a form?
Or it was just an example?

naixn