Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > aspnet_wp does not persist (local debuggging)

aspnet_wp does not persist (local debuggging)

=?Utf-8?B?dGhleWFzQGNvbW11bml0eS5ub3NwYW0=?=

Windows XP SP2, VS 2003, IIS 5.1, IE 6.0, Symantec AV 9.0.0.xxx

After upgrading my system to XP SP2, I have not been able to debug. After
working through various other problems, I'm down to the point where "the only
thing I cannot do" (I almost don't dare say that since I'm almost sure to
have something else) is attach to the aspnet_wp process. If I run an ASP.NET
service (which works and would always leave an aspnet_wp process I could
attach to), it runs, I see the aspnet_wp process show up in the task manager
and then go away when the page in my browser is fully displayed. All other
ASP pages behave similarly--whether the page has errors or not. If I hit F5,
I go into debug mode and IE comes up, but none of my breakpoints get hit.
Then, when I close IE, VS.NET goes back to design mode.

I've reinstalled IIS, VS.NET, run the aspnet_regiis, changed the
Processmodel in the machine.config to run as SYSTEM and a host of other
things. I'm stuck here.

gerry

Was there any resolution to this problem ?
We just starting encountering this same behaviour on W2kServer - I am
assuming this is related to recent windows updates.

This seems to be a not-unheard of problem - there have been a couple of
posts regarding this issue although I have yet to see any resolution.

Gerry

"(E-Mail Removed)" <(E-Mail Removed) >
> Windows XP SP2, VS 2003, IIS 5.1, IE 6.0, Symantec AV 9.0.0.xxx
>
> After upgrading my system to XP SP2, I have not been able to debug. After
> working through various other problems, I'm down to the point where "the

only
> thing I cannot do" (I almost don't dare say that since I'm almost sure to
> have something else) is attach to the aspnet_wp process. If I run an

ASP.NET
> service (which works and would always leave an aspnet_wp process I could
> attach to), it runs, I see the aspnet_wp process show up in the task

manager
> and then go away when the page in my browser is fully displayed. All

other
> ASP pages behave similarly--whether the page has errors or not. If I hit

F5,
> I go into debug mode and IE comes up, but none of my breakpoints get hit.
> Then, when I close IE, VS.NET goes back to design mode.
>
> I've reinstalled IIS, VS.NET, run the aspnet_regiis, changed the
> Processmodel in the machine.config to run as SYSTEM and a host of other
> things. I'm stuck here.

=?Utf-8?B?dGhleWFzQGNvbW11bml0eS5ub3NwYW0=?=

Aha!! I found the answer elsewhere! Kudos to Everett Munis (and whoever at
MS helped him out)!!

Go to "Properties" on the "Default Web Site" (In IIS management console) and
select "Home Directory" tab. Click the "Configuration" button. Under the
"Mappings" tab, make sure the "Cache ISAPI applications" is checked.

Here's the post that solved it for me, over in the dotnet.framework.aspnet
group. The first post appeared 11/30/2004 10:14 AM PST and was titled
"Problems with aspnet_wp.exe". The third reply (by the original poster)
recounted all (OK, well, some) of the gory details of the fix.

Dunno if this link will work, if not follow the directions above to get to it.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/newsgroups...k.aspnet&fltr=

Lowell