Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Q: DSN over a network drive

Q: DSN over a network drive

=?Utf-8?B?SklNLkgu?=

Hello,
I use this connection string to connect *.dbf files:
Dim strConn As String = "Provider=vfpoledb.1;DSN=MyDSN"

I defined MyDSN as free table with the folder C:\myFolder and put
myTable.dbf in there, I am able to retrieve data. However when I point folder
to a network drive as H:\myFoder and put myTable.dbf in there, I get the
following message: ERROR [42S02] [Microsoft][ODBC Visual FoxPro Driver]File
'myTable.dbf' does not exist.

So it seems I could not get DSN point a dbf in the network drive, any idea?
Thanks,
Jim.

Scott Allen

Jim:

The problem boils down to the fact that the ASP.NET runtime works
under a local account (ASPNET or NETWORK SERVICE) on the machine and
won't have the mapped drive.

You might be able to access the file through a UNC
(\\servername\share\file), but even then you'll have to make some
adjustments to give ASP.NET access.

There are some details here:

http://support.microsoft.com/kb/317012

--