Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > where do i find visual sourcesafe?

Reply
Thread Tools

where do i find visual sourcesafe?

 
 
Jason Shohet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
I'm using Visual Studio, with ASP.NET. Is VSS on a separate CD.

Also, is it possible to use the VSS beta (2005) with .NET if I'm not using
the .NET beta.
And finally, where do I get the VSS beta... when I go to msdn, it just
directs me to a page with Whidbey downloads.... nothing mentioned on VSS

TY
Jason Shohet


 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Karl Seguin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
VSS comes on a separate CD for VS.Net Ent Architect and Ent Developer
only...not for any other verison...you can buy it separetly though:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vss/default.aspx

In beta, VSS is dead...instead the new Visual Studio Team System has a new
source control core..not sure what they are calling it. VS TS is only
available to MSDN subscribers at this point...and I doubt you could use it
with VS.Net 2003 since its no longer a stand-alone product.

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/


"Jason Shohet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> I'm using Visual Studio, with ASP.NET. Is VSS on a separate CD.
>
> Also, is it possible to use the VSS beta (2005) with .NET if I'm not using
> the .NET beta.
> And finally, where do I get the VSS beta... when I go to msdn, it just
> directs me to a page with Whidbey downloads.... nothing mentioned on VSS
>
> TY
> Jason Shohet
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Jason Shohet
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
Thanks I have enterprise architect. How to install VSS.... does part of it
go on the developers' machines, and part on the development server (ie 1
central server where we check in & check out) ?

TY


 
Reply With Quote
 
Karl Seguin
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-15-2004
Yes...there's a client setup and a server setup....don't remember the
details...should be pretty clear once you put the cd in...

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/


"Jason Shohet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:%(E-Mail Removed)...
> Thanks I have enterprise architect. How to install VSS.... does part of

it
> go on the developers' machines, and part on the development server (ie 1
> central server where we check in & check out) ?
>
> TY
>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
Juan T. Llibre [MVP]
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      12-16-2004
re:
> In beta, VSS is dead...


I wouldn't call VSS "dead".
VSS 2005 is coming, which will work with VS 2005.

See
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de...tml/vssmap.asp


"To coincide with the release of Visual Studio 2005, Microsoft will offer
Visual SourceSafe 2005, a more highly refined and integrated version
control system that adds new and expanded capabilities for teams
and individuals. "

"Following minor changes in Visual SourceSafe 6.0d (released with
Visual Studio .NET 2003), Microsoft is making more enhancements
for Visual SourceSafe 2005."

"These fundamental changes will improve the reliability, scalability,
performance, and remote access capabilities of Visual SourceSafe."

VSS looks to be quite alive!



For an overview of Visual Studio Team System, see :
http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/de.../vsts-over.asp



Juan T. Llibre
===========

"Karl Seguin" <karl REMOVE @ REMOVE openmymind REMOVEMETOO . ANDME net>
wrote in message news:O9VW%(E-Mail Removed)...
> VSS comes on a separate CD for VS.Net Ent Architect and Ent Developer
> only...not for any other verison...you can buy it separetly though:
> http://msdn.microsoft.com/howtobuy/vss/default.aspx
>
> In beta, VSS is dead...instead the new Visual Studio Team System has a new
> source control core..not sure what they are calling it. VS TS is only
> available to MSDN subscribers at this point...and I doubt you could use it
> with VS.Net 2003 since its no longer a stand-alone product.
>
> Karl
>
> --
> MY ASP.Net tutorials
> http://www.openmymind.net/
>
>
> "Jason Shohet" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>> I'm using Visual Studio, with ASP.NET. Is VSS on a separate CD.
>>
>> Also, is it possible to use the VSS beta (2005) with .NET if I'm not
>> using
>> the .NET beta.
>> And finally, where do I get the VSS beta... when I go to msdn, it just
>> directs me to a page with Whidbey downloads.... nothing mentioned on VSS
>>
>> TY
>> Jason Shohet
>>
>>

>
>



 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 3 02-14-2011 05:28 AM
How to exclude action of Find::Find::find in subdirectories withknown names? vdvorkin Perl Misc 0 02-10-2011 05:18 PM
Find.find does not find orphaned links? Wybo Dekker Ruby 1 11-15-2005 02:50 PM
Trivial question - Visual C# .Net vs Visual Studio .Net John Timbers ASP .Net 32 11-08-2003 06:12 AM
Upgrading Microsoft Visual Basic 6.0 to Microsoft Visual Basic .NET Jaime MCSD 2 09-20-2003 05:16 AM



Advertisments