Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Firefox doesn't like appendChild()

Firefox doesn't like appendChild()

Christina

I have 2 list boxes - one to fill the second one based on the selection, or
move all items. You can remove the selection (or all items) from the second
one to place it back in the first one. I expanded my horizons and thought
to use script based on the js node operation appendChild(). It seemed so
clean and easy to follow. Works beautifully in IE, but Firefox sees the
value for a nanosecond but doesn't put it in the box. This is the relevant
js:

function addSide(){
var addIndex = document.forms[0].sides.selectedIndex;

if (addIndex >= 0)
{
document.forms[0].selectedSides.appendChild(document.forms[0].sides.options(addIndex));
}

}

function delSide(){
var selIndex = document.forms[0].selectedSides.selectedIndex;
if (selIndex >= 0)
{
document.forms[0].sides.appendChild(document.forms[0].selectedSides.options(selIndex))
}

}

function addAll(){
var len = document.forms[0].sides.length -1;
for(i=len; i>=0; i--){
document.forms[0].selectedSides.appendChild(document.forms[0].sides(i));
}

}

function delAll(){
var len = document.forms[0].selectedSides.length -1;
for(i=len; i>=0; i--){
document.forms[0].sides.appendChild(document.forms[0].selectedSides(i));
}

}

Is there a way to make it work for FF, or do I need to just start over and
not use appendChild()? Is there a better way?

Thanks,

Christina

RobG

Christina wrote:
> I have 2 list boxes - one to fill the second one based on the selection, or
> move all items. You can remove the selection (or all items) from the second
> one to place it back in the first one. I expanded my horizons and thought
> to use script based on the js node operation appendChild(). It seemed so
> clean and easy to follow. Works beautifully in IE, but Firefox sees the
> value for a nanosecond but doesn't put it in the box.

Did you get an error message in the error console? Get the Firebug
extension and you will won't miss them.

> This is the relevant
> js:
>
> function addSide(){
> var addIndex = document.forms[0].sides.selectedIndex;
>
> if (addIndex >= 0)
> {
> document.forms[0].selectedSides.appendChild(document.forms[0].sides.options(addIndex));

This should produce an error message something like:

"document.forms[0].sides.options is not a function"

The options object is a collection, you want to refer to its members by
index using square bracket notation:

...appendChild( document.forms[0].sides.options[addIndex] );

and so on for the rest of your script.

--
Rob

Christina

Hi Rob,

Perfect. I knew it had to be something simple - wonder why the original
code used parens rather than brackets? Good ol' IE - it'll accept anything
Thanks for the link - I haven't used FF much but need to start because
I've seen that it has what appear to be good extensions. Never used IE until
3 years ago - always used Netscape - but my college required IE for online
classes and got in the habit.

Thanks a bunch,
Christina

news:(E-Mail Removed) ups.com...