Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > pre-loader

pre-loader

Brian

Hi there

I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
cross post

I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a "loading"
message.
I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page and
hide
at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.

I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

Brian

Martin Mouritzen

On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:40:08 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Hi there
>
>I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
>cross post
>
>I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a "loading"
>message.
>I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page and
>hide
>at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.
>
>I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

It seems like you're on the right track.

A common reason why it won't work is if you have mod_gzip enabled. You
can disable mod_gzip for a specific folder by having this in your
..htaccess

<IfModule mod_gzip.c>
mod_gzip_on Off
</IfModule>

You can see an example I made for a loading screen here:
http://siteloom.dk/~martin/loading/

--
best regards,
Martin Mouritzen.

J.O. Aho

Martin Mouritzen wrote:
> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:40:08 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Hi there
>>
>> I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
>> cross post
>>
>> I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a "loading"
>> message.
>> I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page and
>> hide
>> at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.
>>
>> I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

> It seems like you're on the right track.
>
> A common reason why it won't work is if you have mod_gzip enabled. You
> can disable mod_gzip for a specific folder by having this in your
> .htaccess
>
> <IfModule mod_gzip.c>
> mod_gzip_on Off
> </IfModule>
>
> You can see an example I made for a loading screen here:
> http://siteloom.dk/~martin/loading/

usage of mod_gzip is quite small nowadays and I don't think it's the problem
but the flushing of the output buffer in php.

Use ob_flush() to get out the data you want

<?php
/* header stuff and such */
/* head of HTML */
/* div for the waiting message */
/* javascript to enable div */
ob_flush();
/* do what you need to do with the mysql */
/* generate the rest of the page */
ob_end_flush();
?>

That could work for you, but I won't guarantee it will.

//Aho

Brian

"J.O. Aho" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Martin Mouritzen wrote:
>> On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:40:08 GMT, "Brian" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi there
>>>
>>> I'm not sure if this is a PHP or a Javascript problem, so sorry for the
>>> cross post
>>>
>>> I have a PHP page that talks to a MySQL page, i want to put in a
>>> I have tied to use a layer and using a showlayer at the top of the page
>>> and hide
>>> at the bottom, but it does not work, it still waits for the PHP to run.
>>>
>>> I know it can be done, as i have seen it, how do they do that?

>> It seems like you're on the right track.
>>
>> A common reason why it won't work is if you have mod_gzip enabled. You
>> can disable mod_gzip for a specific folder by having this in your
>> .htaccess
>>
>> <IfModule mod_gzip.c>
>> mod_gzip_on Off
>> </IfModule>
>>
>> You can see an example I made for a loading screen here:
>> http://siteloom.dk/~martin/loading/

> usage of mod_gzip is quite small nowadays and I don't think it's the
> problem but the flushing of the output buffer in php.
>
> Use ob_flush() to get out the data you want
>
> <?php
> /* header stuff and such */
> /* head of HTML */
> /* div for the waiting message */
> /* javascript to enable div */
> ob_flush();
> /* do what you need to do with the mysql */
> /* generate the rest of the page */
> ob_end_flush();
> ?>
>
> That could work for you, but I won't guarantee it will.
>

> //Aho

Thanks for your help guys, i will have a play and see what happens

Brian