Velocity Reviews - Computer Hardware Reviews

Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Updates

Reply
Thread Tools

FAQ Updates

 
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2006
When is the next scheduled Update of the group FAQ? I see Richard
talking about "not wasting time on a subject" yet he continues to do
just that but isn't updating the FAQ. It has been asked about before (By
John Stockton) with no reply.

When will the FAQ be updated again?

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Peter Michaux
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-15-2006
Randy Webb wrote:
> When is the next scheduled Update of the group FAQ? I see Richard
> talking about "not wasting time on a subject" yet he continues to do
> just that but isn't updating the FAQ. It has been asked about before (By
> John Stockton) with no reply.
>
> When will the FAQ be updated again?


Who hands out the keys to the FAQ?

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2006
Peter Michaux said the following on 11/15/2006 6:41 PM:
> Randy Webb wrote:
>> When is the next scheduled Update of the group FAQ? I see Richard
>> talking about "not wasting time on a subject" yet he continues to do
>> just that but isn't updating the FAQ. It has been asked about before (By
>> John Stockton) with no reply.
>>
>> When will the FAQ be updated again?

>
> Who hands out the keys to the FAQ?


Jim Ley AFAIK.

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Ley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-16-2006
On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:15:30 -0500, Randy Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Peter Michaux said the following on 11/15/2006 6:41 PM:
>> Randy Webb wrote:
>>> When is the next scheduled Update of the group FAQ? I see Richard
>>> talking about "not wasting time on a subject" yet he continues to do
>>> just that but isn't updating the FAQ. It has been asked about before (By
>>> John Stockton) with no reply.
>>>
>>> When will the FAQ be updated again?

>>
>> Who hands out the keys to the FAQ?

>
>Jim Ley AFAIK.


Yep any "known person" * will be provided access to the machine to
update the FAQ on request from the group.

I will also support unknown persons put will not want to provide any
sort of shell access to directly update the site in that case.

The biggest problem is my site is rather sick right now, overloaded,
and the nice new machine is too noisy to turn on in the current
location, and I've not had the time to do anything about getting it
set up and installed in a colo.

Cheers,

Jim.
[*] A known person is someone with a good history of posting within
the group, and that I can google without finding anything bad on
 
Reply With Quote
 
Randy Webb
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
Jim Ley said the following on 11/16/2006 5:45 PM:
> On Wed, 15 Nov 2006 19:15:30 -0500, Randy Webb
> <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:
>
>> Peter Michaux said the following on 11/15/2006 6:41 PM:
>>> Randy Webb wrote:
>>>> When is the next scheduled Update of the group FAQ? I see Richard
>>>> talking about "not wasting time on a subject" yet he continues to do
>>>> just that but isn't updating the FAQ. It has been asked about before (By
>>>> John Stockton) with no reply.
>>>>
>>>> When will the FAQ be updated again?
>>> Who hands out the keys to the FAQ?

>> Jim Ley AFAIK.

>
> Yep any "known person" * will be provided access to the machine to
> update the FAQ on request from the group.


Maybe someone could edit the FAQ as strictly an editor and let Richard
stay as the technical advisor/editor. I spend most of my days at my desk
at home. I had back surgery in Feb and work from home now so having time
to do it wouldn't be a problem for me. I wouldn't want to be the
answer-all technical person but prefer to leave it to a group consensus
within limits. I might get my head handed to me for the offer but what
the heck

<snip>

> The biggest problem is my site is rather sick right now, overloaded,
> and the nice new machine is too noisy to turn on in the current
> location, and I've not had the time to do anything about getting it
> set up and installed in a colo.


Sometime in January I am replacing my current PC with a new one. This
one is about 3 years old but could be easily set up as a server with a
static IP. Never tried running a site as busy as the FAQ site on my
cable connection but maybe in Jan I can email you and get it setup and
test it out.

>[*] A known person is someone with a good history of posting within
> the group, and that I can google without finding anything bad on


Oops, that rules me out <g>

--
Randy
Chance Favors The Prepared Mind
comp.lang.javascript FAQ - http://jibbering.com/faq
Javascript Best Practices - http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com/bestpractices/
 
Reply With Quote
 
Jim Ley
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
On Thu, 16 Nov 2006 22:25:10 -0500, Randy Webb
<(E-Mail Removed)> wrote:

>Sometime in January I am replacing my current PC with a new one. This
>one is about 3 years old but could be easily set up as a server with a
>static IP. Never tried running a site as busy as the FAQ site on my
>cable connection but maybe in Jan I can email you and get it setup and
>test it out.


I have the machine (a nice 1U dual xeon) half set up and ready to go,
I have offers of free colo space and hosting, it's just the time to
get it all set up

I'm very much hopeful to find some time one day

Jim.
 
Reply With Quote
 
VK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned the name of the current FAQ
poster. During the "comp.lang.javascript FAQ question" discussion
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/browse_frm/thread/2aa1140c148de30b/8954de60cffe6dab>
Bart Van der Donck volunteered to restore FAQ posting and he's
showing his commitment to this extra free job since August 2006. As he
is the only person so far who did and does something (not just
wishfully discussing) - then in my strong opinion he should be the
first person to propose. Only if Bart Van der Donck doesn't want this
extra job, other candidatures could be considered.

I myself is not fully satisfied with the outcome of the linked July
discussion. As the result of two FAQ maintainers in the row "left to
stay", we are having a rather abnormal situation with
1) hosting and server access from Jim Ley
2) "keys" hidden by Richard Cornford
3) regular postings in the newsgroup by Bart Van der Donck

Someone may call it as an "extended security" but I see it as a
ridiculous situation reminding me the late Roman Empire (on the falling
apart stage .

This way the most important step would be to finish the transition
started at July. Whoever will be the new FAQ maintainer, all previous
FAQ maintainers has to finally step aside.
If no agreement be possible by the "triumvir members" then it is
more easy just to resign all of them and start over.

Another problem to be addressed immediately is the procedure itself of
FAQ topics add/update/remove. So far it simply doesn't work: each
<FAQENTRY> transforms into endless discussion resulting in FAQ remained
untouched. While it can be normal for many legislative bodies , it
is hardly acceptable for technical newsgroup. IMO the whole procedure
should be strictly defined and formalized. A variant could be:
1) Initial <FAQENTRY> post with action indicated:
<faqentry action="add">
<faqentry action="update">
<faqentry action="remove">
Each <faqentry> has to be well-formed XML fragment with indication of
title, number, <del> and <ins> parts (for update requests)
2) Initial post starts one week (seven days) discussion period
3) Initial poster either accounts the critics or not in the CFV (Call
For Votes) <FAQENTY> variant she has to post after the stage 2) is
expired. If no CFV post made then the Initial post is counted as the
CFV.
4) Within three days after that anyone can make a voting post. The
Usenet post must contain one and only one of the following vote
statements:
YES
NO
ABSTAIN
Names are required for this vote. ABSTAIN votes are not counted in the
results. The version passes the vote if there are at least 5 votes
received and at least 50% + 1 vote are YES.

Another question to resolve is FAQ versioning. It is important to keep
ability to link/refer a FAQ topic directly rather than just saying
"search for it in group FAQ". I saw somewhere posts made in c.l.j. at
different time solving this problem, but I cannot find them again right
now.

P.S. comp.lang.javascript FAQ history:
<http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/msg/8954de60cffe6dab>

 
Reply With Quote
 
Dr J R Stockton
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-17-2006
In message <(E-Mail Removed) .com>, Fri,
17 Nov 2006 06:13:33, VK <(E-Mail Removed)> writes
>I am a bit surprised that no one mentioned the name of the current FAQ
>poster.
> ...
>Bart Van der Donck volunteered to restore FAQ posting and he's
>showing his commitment to this extra free job since August 2006. As he
>is the only person so far who did and does something (not just
>wishfully discussing) - then in my strong opinion he should be the
>first person to propose. Only if Bart Van der Donck doesn't want this
>extra job, other candidatures could be considered.


Agreed; he's earned that opportunity.

>1) hosting and server access from Jim Ley


ISTM that Jim is evidently fully committed to provision of the FAQ in
principle, but in practice may usually be too busy to do all the routine
work.

>Another problem to be addressed immediately is the procedure itself of
>FAQ topics add/update/remove.
> ... ... ...


IMHO not necessary. An active FAQ maintainer should just change it to
what he thinks correct in the light of extant discussion and personal
experience, and be ready to change it again if further discussion
justifies further change. Changed sections should be manually posted
here.



>Another question to resolve is FAQ versioning.


The FAQ could be stored not just as <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>
but as <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/20051105.html> etc. with
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/latest.html> redirecting to the latest
version and with "latest.html" set as the default for its directory.

Then the normal thing to do would be to cite
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> in general, but
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#F3-8> or
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/latest.htm#F3-8> for a specific entry
in the latest version.

Those needing to cite a specific version could use the dated name, and
the Maintainer should give a few days notice of any changing (as
distinct from just adding) of the anchor-name/text relationship.




IMHO the full FAQ should be posted to news:c.l.j at least once per
version, and by arrangement that should be cross-posted to
news:news.answers.

--
(c) John Stockton, Surrey, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 6
<URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> Old RC FAQ of news:comp.lang.javascript
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-index.htm> jscr maths, dates, sources.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> TP/BP/Delphi/jscr/&c, FAQ items, links.
 
Reply With Quote
 
VK
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006
> ISTM that Jim is evidently fully committed to provision of the FAQ in
> principle, but in practice may usually be too busy to do all the routine
> work.


I more than appreciate Jim Ley commitment he made back in 1999, but a
reliable server maintenance it is necessary to have 24-hrs access the
the server plus the minimum set of tools such as server-side scripting
(Perl / PHP), CRON access, database (at least mySQL), .htaccess etc.
This way a simple Web or FTP accesses to a folder is not enough: that
should be a separate virtual server. Otherwise the main part of
problems the maintainer will have to solve will be related with boring
technical issues rather than with the FAQ themselves.

> >Another problem to be addressed immediately is the procedure itself of
> >FAQ topics add/update/remove.
> > ... ... ...


> IMHO not necessary. An active FAQ maintainer should just change it to
> what he thinks correct in the light of extant discussion and personal
> experience, and be ready to change it again if further discussion
> justifies further change. Changed sections should be manually posted
> here.


That depends on who do you want to have: a new king or a new president

I would prefer a new president but right away to protect him from a
brute force insistence on something by the cabal members; to make him
more independent from who elected him or who's providing him the tools
for his job. IMHO seven days (or even ten) is more than enough to say
anything one has to say on the FAQ topic. But the discussion has to
lead to some final result: either final YES or final NO. Otherwise
these are wasted electrons

It is also the question if every FAQ maintainer has to be considered by
its status as "absolutely all knowing person". I would see him more
than as enthusiastic administrator rather than God watching everything
from the top and taking from time to time the only possibly correct
decision. IMHO.

> >Another question to resolve is FAQ versioning.

>
> The FAQ could be stored not just as <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/>
> but as <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/20051105.html> etc. with
> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/latest.html> redirecting to the latest
> version and with "latest.html" set as the default for its directory.
>
> Then the normal thing to do would be to cite
> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/> in general, but
> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/#F3-8> or
> <URL:http://www.jibbering.com/faq/latest.htm#F3-8> for a specific entry
> in the latest version.
>
> Those needing to cite a specific version could use the dated name, and
> the Maintainer should give a few days notice of any changing (as
> distinct from just adding) of the anchor-name/text relationship.


I don't really like the idea of splitting FAQ on "latest", "normal",
"old" etc. The FAQ should be only one: *currently* suggested by c.l.j.
But I have no better ideas as of now.

 
Reply With Quote
 
Bart Van der Donck
Guest
Posts: n/a
 
      11-18-2006
Thanks for the offer, but unfortunately I don't have enough time to do
it. I would support Randy's candidature.

Here is some information about content handling:

- At this moment, http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.xml is ASCII[*]
and not encoded in UTF8/Unicode/Big Endian. It's okay to keep it this
way.

- If a need would rise to extend the characters to ISO-8859-1, then
it's possible too, but only if the initial line of
http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.xml is changed into <?xml
version="1.0" encoding="ISO-8859-1"?> . index.xml should still be
saved not encoded in UTF8/Unicode/Big Endian/..., just in plain Latin.

- More than ISO-8859-1 is currently not supported, but I think it's no
problem; ISO-8859-1 should be wide enough for the FAQ. There are issues
with UTF-8 on Usenet [**], it's very complex and the logic of Perl's
XML:arser/XML::Simple is quite bizarre regarding this matter.

My conclusion would therefore be that the ASCII or (if needed) the
ISO-8859-1 charsets should be workable.

http://www.jibbering.com/faq/index.xml can be updated like/how you
wish, add new entries, delete entries, change entries, etc. only the
basic XML structure should be kept. Also the breakdown at pos72 is
beneficial towards a pretty Usenet layout. Anyway, let me know if
you've questions and I'll be glad to assist.

--
Bart

[*] It should be mentionned that one is "always safe" with ASCII,
regardless of which future applications might ever be written with the
data. One is "mostly safe" with ISO-8859-1, but *not* always.

[**]
http://groups.google.com/group/comp....ca7351dd6ecec/

 
Reply With Quote
 
 
 
Reply

Thread Tools

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
FAQ Updates Randy Javascript 4 03-20-2008 06:34 AM
FAQ or not FAQ? =?ISO-8859-15?Q?Juli=E1n?= Albo C++ 28 01-15-2007 04:33 AM
checking "Show Updates" doesn't reveal any Windows XP updates =?Utf-8?B?d2xzNTA4?= Windows 64bit 5 05-26-2006 04:42 PM
FAQ update and proposed updates Richard Cornford Javascript 2 11-09-2005 12:41 PM
[de] Update of FAQ in German/FAQ auf Deutsch ueberarbeitet Josef 'Jupp' Schugt Ruby 0 09-22-2003 08:56 PM



Advertisments