Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Dynamically adding an onClick event.

Dynamically adding an onClick event.

Daz

Hello everyone. I am sure the answer to my question is simple, but I
can't seem to dynamically add an onClick event to my script.

I have a table which is generated dynamically, I am just struggling
getting an onClick event to show in the HTML source.

Any help would be appreciated. Here is a block of my current code which
doesn't work.

var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";
var td1 = document.createElement('td');
var b = document.createElement('b');
var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
titleSpan.style.color = "white";
table.appendChild(tr1);
tr1.appendChild(td1);

td1.appendChild(b);
b.appendChild(titleSpan);
titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;
titleSpan.onClick = "this.toggle()";

I am assuming that I am missing something with the syntax?

All the best.

Daz.

ASM

Daz a écrit :
> Hello everyone. I am sure the answer to my question is simple, but I
> can't seem to dynamically add an onClick event to my script.
>
> I have a table which is generated dynamically, I am just struggling
> getting an onClick event to show in the HTML source.
>
> Any help would be appreciated. Here is a block of my current code which
> doesn't work.

var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";
var td1 = document.createElement('td');
var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
titleSpan.style.color = "white";

titleSpan.style.fontWeight = "bold";
titleSpan.onClick = function() {this.toggle(); };
titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;

td1.appendChild(titleSpan);
tr1.appendChild(td1);
tbody.appendChild(tr1);

use tbody instead of table
..

Daz

ASM wrote:

> Daz a écrit :
> > Hello everyone. I am sure the answer to my question is simple, but I
> > can't seem to dynamically add an onClick event to my script.
> >
> > I have a table which is generated dynamically, I am just struggling
> > getting an onClick event to show in the HTML source.
> >
> > Any help would be appreciated. Here is a block of my current code which
> > doesn't work.

> var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
> tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";
> var td1 = document.createElement('td');
> var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
> titleSpan.style.color = "white";
>
> titleSpan.style.fontWeight = "bold";
> titleSpan.onClick = function() {this.toggle(); };
> titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;
>
> td1.appendChild(titleSpan);
> tr1.appendChild(td1);
> tbody.appendChild(tr1);
>
> use tbody instead of table
> .

Thanks ASM. my table variable is actually a reference to tbody. You're
right, though. I should have named it tbody and not table.

I still can't get it to work. For some reason, the toggle function is
not working at all. I have tried adding the function to the onClick
event directly, and it still doesn't work... I don't even get an
error/warning in my JavaScript Console...

I know it's something I am doing wrong, I just can't figure out what.

Here is my code. It looks messy because I am trying to figure out how
things work...

//********** CODE START **********

var table = document.getElementById('ctg_table');
var tableWidth = 80;

function initPage()
{
table.parentNode.style.width = tableWidth + "%";
displayInputDialog();
var row1 = new menuItem("test");
}

function displayInputDialog()
{
var tr = document.createElement('tr');
tr.setAttribute("id", "rInputDialog");
tr.style.height = "20%";
var td = document.createElement('td');
textarea = document.createElement('textarea');
textarea.setAttribute("name", "inputDialog");
textarea.setAttribute("id", "inputDialog");
textarea.style.width = "100%";
textarea.style.height = "100%";
textarea.style.borderStyle = "ridge";
table.appendChild(tr);
tr.appendChild(td);
td.appendChild(textarea);
}

function menuItem (menuTitle)
{
var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";
var td1 = document.createElement('td');
var b = document.createElement('b');
var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
titleSpan.style.color = "white";
table.appendChild(tr1);
tr1.appendChild(td1);
td1.appendChild(b);
b.appendChild(titleSpan);
titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;
var tr2 = document.createElement('tr');
var td2 = document.createElement('td');
table.appendChild(tr2);
tr2.appendChild(td2);
tr2.style.borderStyle = 'ridge';
tr2.style.borderColor = "green";
td2.innerHTML = 'blah';
titleSpan.onClick = function()
{
var textarea = document.getElementById('inputDialog');
textarea.value = "blah"
}
}

initPage();

//************ CODE END ************

Many thanks for your input.

If you can offer any more constructive criticism, it would be received
gracefully as I would rather do this right, than go about it the wrong
way.

Daz.

ASM

Daz a écrit :
> Thanks ASM. my table variable is actually a reference to tbody. You're
> right, though. I should have named it tbody and not table.
>
> I still can't get it to work. For some reason, the toggle function is
> not working at all. I have tried adding the function to the onClick
> event directly, and it still doesn't work... I don't even get an
> error/warning in my JavaScript Console...
>
> I know it's something I am doing wrong, I just can't figure out what.
>
> Here is my code. It looks messy because I am trying to figure out how
> things work...
>
> //********** CODE START **********
>
> var table = document.getElementById('ctg_table');
> var tableWidth = 80;
>
> function initPage()
> {
> table.parentNode.style.width = tableWidth + "%";
> displayInputDialog();
> var row1 = new menuItem("test");
> }
>
> function displayInputDialog()
> {
> var tr = document.createElement('tr');
> tr.setAttribute("id", "rInputDialog");
> tr.style.height = "20%";
> var td = document.createElement('td');
> textarea = document.createElement('textarea');

IE would prefer :
textarea.name = "inputDialog";
textarea.id = "inputDialog";

> textarea.setAttribute("name", "inputDialog");
> textarea.setAttribute("id", "inputDialog");
> textarea.style.width = "100%";
> textarea.style.height = "100%";
> textarea.style.borderStyle = "ridge";
> table.appendChild(tr);
> tr.appendChild(td);
> td.appendChild(textarea);

why do you append something to your td not more there ?

td.appendChild(textarea); // from inside
tr.appendChild(td); // to outside
table.appendChild(tr); // boxes

> }
>
> function menuItem (menuTitle)
> {
> var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
> tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";
> var td1 = document.createElement('td');
> var b = document.createElement('b');
> var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
> titleSpan.style.color = "white";
> table.appendChild(tr1);
> tr1.appendChild(td1);
> td1.appendChild(b);
> b.appendChild(titleSpan);
> titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;
> var tr2 = document.createElement('tr');
> var td2 = document.createElement('td');

Same as I previously said : better to append in right order

p or span -> td -> tr -> tbody -> table -> body

> table.appendChild(tr2);
> tr2.appendChild(td2);
> tr2.style.borderStyle = 'ridge';
> tr2.style.borderColor = "green";
> td2.innerHTML = 'blah';
> titleSpan.onClick = function()

perhaps :
titleSpan.onclick = function()

> {

alert('seen');
> var textarea = document.getElementById('inputDialog');
> textarea.value = "blah"
> }
> }
>
> initPage();
>
> //************ CODE END ************
>
> Many thanks for your input.

a question : is this table in a form ?

Daz

ASM wrote:
> IE would prefer :
> textarea.name = "inputDialog";
> textarea.id = "inputDialog";

Ok, I have changed this in my code. Thanks

I'd just like to point out that I don't have access to Internet
Explorer, so I am using Firefox. As far as I know it shouldn't be a big
issue, but I know some things are different between the way that
Internet Explorer and Firefox process JavaScript, or rather the syntax
and attributes which should be used.

> why do you append something to your td not more there ?

Sorry, I don't understand what you mean. Are you suggesting I use
innerHTML instead of appending textarea?

> td.appendChild(textarea); // from inside
> tr.appendChild(td); // to outside
> table.appendChild(tr); // boxes

Ok, I have changed my code to reflect this. It makes more sense doing
it the way you suggested, although I was simply going by the examples
by Mark Kahn at
http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/j...le.php/3594621

> Same as I previously said : better to append in right order

Agreed, and already done.

> p or span -> td -> tr -> tbody -> table -> body

There are no body tags in my HTML. Would this make any difference as
everything goes inside my <tbody>? Everything is displaying correctly,
it's just this single function that is refusing to fire.

> perhaps :
> titleSpan.onclick = function()

I have tried just doing:
titleSpan.onClick = function() { alert('blah'); }
....and it still won't fire...

> a question : is this table in a form ?

No, I'm not, and I don't plan to either.

Here is the code modified following your suggestions. I have included
the HTML also, in case I have made a stupid mistake.

//***** CODE START *****

> /*************
> * HTML code *
> ************/

> <head>
> <title>Colour Text Generator</title>
> </head>
> <tbody id="ctg_table">
> </tbody>
> <script language="javascript" type="text/javascript" src="text_generator.js"></script>
> <noscript>
> You must enabled JavaScript in order to use this page.<br /><br />
> If you do not have a JavaScript enabled browser, please download Firefox
> for free from <a href="http://www.getfirefox.com">www.getfirefox.com</a>.
> </noscript>

> //******************
> * JavaScript code *
> ******************/

> var tbody = document.getElementById('ctg_table');
> var tableWidth = 80;
> var row1 = null;
> function initPage()
> {
> tbody.parentNode.style.width = tableWidth + "%";
> displayInputDialog();
> row1 = new menuItem("test");
> }

> function displayInputDialog()
> {
> var tr = document.createElement('tr');
> tr.setAttribute("id", "rInputDialog");
> tr.style.height = "20%";
> var td = document.createElement('td');
> var textarea = document.createElement('textarea');
> textarea.name = "inputDialog";
> textarea.id = "inputDialog";
> textarea.style.width = "100%";
> textarea.style.height = "100%";
> textarea.style.borderStyle = "ridge";

> td.appendChild(textarea);
> tr.appendChild(td);
> tbody.appendChild(tr);
> }

> function menuItem (menuTitle)
> {
> var tr1 = document.createElement('tr');
> tr1.style.backgroundColor = "blue";

> var td1 = document.createElement('td');

> var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
> titleSpan.style.color = "white";
> titleSpan.style.fontWeight = "bold";
> titleSpan.onClick = function() { alert('blah'); }
> titleSpan.innerHTML = menuTitle;

> td1.appendChild(titleSpan);
> tr1.appendChild(td1);
> tbody.appendChild(tr1);

> var tr2 = document.createElement('tr');
> var td2 = document.createElement('td');

> td2.innerHTML = 'blah';
> tr2.appendChild(td2);
> tbody.appendChild(tr2);
> }

> initPage();

//****** CODE END ******

Many thanks.

Daz.

Daz

ASM wrote:
> a question : is this table in a form ?

I take that back. Yes, the table IS going to be in a form. Either that,
or there will be several forms within the table. What made you ask?

VK

Daz wrote:
> var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
> titleSpan.onClick = "this.toggle()";

titleSpan implements DOM interface which includes intrinsic [onclick]
event listener. This listener can be set to a function reference. In
case of click event the referenced function will be called. So the
first error: string instead of function reference.
The second error is that JavaScript is case-sensitive: unlike HTTP tags
and attribute names This way in your HTML source you use something
like:
<SPAN onClick="alert(this)">Text</span>
but in your JavaScript program the handler has to be named exactly as
it is: "onclick" (all lower case). Otherwise the program will decide
that you want to create new property "onClick" and assign a string
value to it (this is what it's doing). With all necessary corrections
the line will be:
titleSpan.onclick = function(){this.toggle();};
or (to keep the "stringified" approach):
titleSpan.onclick = new Function("this.toggle();");

ASM

Daz a écrit :
> ASM wrote:
>> IE would prefer :
>> textarea.name = "inputDialog";
>> textarea.id = "inputDialog";

> Ok, I have changed this in my code. Thanks
>
> I'd just like to point out that I don't have access to Internet
> Explorer,

Anyway it is better for each browser.

>> td.appendChild(textarea); // from inside
>> tr.appendChild(td); // to outside
>> table.appendChild(tr); // boxes

> Ok, I have changed my code to reflect this. It makes more sense doing
> it the way you suggested, although I was simply going by the examples
> by Mark Kahn at
> http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/j...le.php/3594621

I don't know this Mark
But it seems to me we create elements that are virtual, then we append
them to their container, so it appears natural to do it from inside box
to the last outside one.
(even if modern browsers (FF) can understand what is the sens we adopt).

>> p or span -> td -> tr -> tbody -> table -> body

that is to show the design.

> There are no body tags in my HTML.

If you have any tbody in your table, or any body in your html, the
browser will create them (at least in its mind) so you always can use them.

>> perhaps :
>> titleSpan.onclick = function()

> I have tried just doing:

No you haven't ! did you notice the c in lowercase ?

> titleSpan.onClick = function() { alert('blah'); }
> ...and it still won't fire...

change your onClick in onclick and all will be OK.

>> a question : is this table in a form ?

> No, I'm not, and I don't plan to either.

If you use elements of form (input, textarea) you would have set them in
a form (simplest an cleanest : outside the table)

--
ASM

Daz

ASM wrote:

> Daz a écrit :
> > ASM wrote:
> >> IE would prefer :
> >> textarea.name = "inputDialog";
> >> textarea.id = "inputDialog";

> > Ok, I have changed this in my code. Thanks
> >
> > I'd just like to point out that I don't have access to Internet
> > Explorer,

> Anyway it is better for each browser.
>
> >> td.appendChild(textarea); // from inside
> >> tr.appendChild(td); // to outside
> >> table.appendChild(tr); // boxes

> > Ok, I have changed my code to reflect this. It makes more sense doing
> > it the way you suggested, although I was simply going by the examples
> > by Mark Kahn at
> > http://www.htmlgoodies.com/primers/j...le.php/3594621

> I don't know this Mark
> But it seems to me we create elements that are virtual, then we append
> them to their container, so it appears natural to do it from inside box
> to the last outside one.
> (even if modern browsers (FF) can understand what is the sens we adopt).
>
> >> p or span -> td -> tr -> tbody -> table -> body

> that is to show the design.
>
> > There are no body tags in my HTML.

> If you have any tbody in your table, or any body in your html, the
> browser will create them (at least in its mind) so you always can use them.
>
> >> perhaps :
> >> titleSpan.onclick = function()

> > I have tried just doing:

> No you haven't ! did you notice the c in lowercase ?
>
> > titleSpan.onClick = function() { alert('blah'); }
> > ...and it still won't fire...

> change your onClick in onclick and all will be OK.
>
> >> a question : is this table in a form ?

> > No, I'm not, and I don't plan to either.

> If you use elements of form (input, textarea) you would have set them in
> a form (simplest an cleanest : outside the table)
>
> --
> ASM

Brilliant! onClick has been changed to onclick and now it's functioning
perfectly. Many thanks for your input. I have seen it as onClick on
many online examples. I am not sure why this might be, however, I now
know to use onclick.

Daz

VK wrote:

> Daz wrote:
> > var titleSpan = document.createElement('span');
> > titleSpan.onClick = "this.toggle()";

> titleSpan implements DOM interface which includes intrinsic [onclick]
> event listener. This listener can be set to a function reference. In
> case of click event the referenced function will be called. So the
> first error: string instead of function reference.
> The second error is that JavaScript is case-sensitive: unlike HTTP tags
> and attribute names This way in your HTML source you use something
> like:
> <SPAN onClick="alert(this)">Text</span>
> but in your JavaScript program the handler has to be named exactly as
> it is: "onclick" (all lower case). Otherwise the program will decide
> that you want to create new property "onClick" and assign a string
> value to it (this is what it's doing). With all necessary corrections
> the line will be:
> titleSpan.onclick = function(){this.toggle();};
> or (to keep the "stringified" approach):
> titleSpan.onclick = new Function("this.toggle();");

Fantastic Explanation! Many thanks.