Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Can firefox open .mht files? This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.

Can firefox open .mht files? This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.

John Toliver

This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
installation to make it work for me?

Moz Champion

John Toliver wrote:

> This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
> It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
> excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
> in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
> there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
> installation to make it work for me?

Um, no. As you say its a proprietary format.
If you want to send pages as webmail, then may I suggest Mozilla 1.7.2?
Its what Firefox was derived from after all, and includes browsing,
email/news and chat.
Then you wont have to save files using IE.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Andreas

John Toliver wrote:

> This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
> It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
> excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
> in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
> there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
> installation to make it work for me?

Try this, but I don't know if it will work. As Moz Champ says its
proprietary to IE.

Close Moz, open Windows Explorer, Click on Tools, Folder Options. Then
click on the File Types tab. Scroll on down until you come across mht.
Double click on it and double click on Open. Erase everything on the
target line expect for any special endings, such as %1 or -url %1 or
whatever. Change the target line for FireFox. If theres anything under
DDE, remove them and uncheck it. You may have to reboot.

If there is NO mht listing, then try and create one and see what happens.

I can't guarantee that this will work, but its worth a shot. BTW I do
not have a listing for mht in mine so I can't say for sure if it will
work or not.

Andreas

To contact me remove the NOSPAM

Brian

Moz Champion wrote:
> John Toliver wrote:
>
>> This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
>> It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
>> excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
>> in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
>> there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
>> installation to make it work for me?

No. There is software out there to do it for you, but Mozilla and other
browsers do not do this. Your only alternative is to save the entire
page and archive it.

> Um, no. As you say its a proprietary format.
> If you want to send pages as webmail, then may I suggest Mozilla 1.7.2?
> Its what Firefox was derived from after all, and includes browsing,
> email/news and chat.
> Then you wont have to save files using IE.

If he wanted to send pages via "webmail" then why does it matter whether
he uses Mozilla or Firefox? MHT saves the complete webpage to a
single file; the images are encoded into it directly.
--
Brian

http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

John Toliver

Thanks for the help. I ended up stumbling across this project in
mozdev that does exactly this but in the mozilla flavor. here is the
link

http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html

just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. thanks for the
help. the reason I wanted to go ahead and use the format was to have
a way to save my emails om my hard drive. I only want certain emails
for offline use but for the most part I think it's easier to manage
them all online through web mail plus it takes more overhhead off my
cpu. this format preserves the files exactly as I would want to see
them off line and it does it without much fuss. That way even if I
were using a p166 or slower ishould have minimal problems and be able
to get done what I needed.

I'm actually trying to use my web browser as a total internet solution
for basic stuff instead of instaling a suite of programs ie MOZILLA.
Just another experiment.

Andreas <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message news:<(E-Mail Removed)>...
> John Toliver wrote:
>
> > This is the proprietary format that ie uses to save pages as web mail.
> > It is called an web archive for email (.mht) it saves it in an
> > excellent format for offline reading but every time I try to open it
> > in firefox it calls IE to read it which I don't want. Any ideas? Is
> > there a plug in or extension or some thing I can do to my firefox
> > installation to make it work for me?

> Try this, but I don't know if it will work. As Moz Champ says its
> proprietary to IE.
>
> Close Moz, open Windows Explorer, Click on Tools, Folder Options. Then
> click on the File Types tab. Scroll on down until you come across mht.
> Double click on it and double click on Open. Erase everything on the
> target line expect for any special endings, such as %1 or -url %1 or
> whatever. Change the target line for FireFox. If theres anything under
> DDE, remove them and uncheck it. You may have to reboot.
>
> If there is NO mht listing, then try and create one and see what happens.
>
> I can't guarantee that this will work, but its worth a shot. BTW I do
> not have a listing for mht in mine so I can't say for sure if it will
> work or not.
>
> Andreas

Brian

John Toliver wrote:
> Thanks for the help. I ended up stumbling across this project in
> mozdev that does exactly this but in the mozilla flavor. here is the
> link
>
> http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html
>
> just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. thanks for the
> help. the reason I wanted to go ahead and use the format was to have
> a way to save my emails om my hard drive. I only want certain emails
> for offline use but for the most part I think it's easier to manage
> them all online through web mail plus it takes more overhhead off my
> cpu. this format preserves the files exactly as I would want to see
> them off line and it does it without much fuss. That way even if I
> were using a p166 or slower ishould have minimal problems and be able
> to get done what I needed.

Oh, I guess I didn't understand your original post. I could have
pointed you to that link in my post, but I was under the assumption that
you wanted to be able to /view/ MS ".mht" files -- not /create/
"something that is similar in nature to .mht files; something that
provides the same functionality, but able to use with Mozilla" Sorry, I
misunderstood what you were asking.
--
Brian

http://68.1.17.8/p0nykiller/email.htm

John Toliver

It's ok. Sometimes I need to clarify myself a little more at times.
I'm new to the whole usenet thing only a few months of actually
visiting frequently, and I have to say, this is the best thing since
sliced bread. You can give and get answers on just about anything!
This saves sooo much time on reading and researching when you have
problems. Anyway thanks for the help. Hope I can reciprocate in the
future.

Until next time,
John T.

Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote in message news:<wD3Zc.65174$4o.26448@fed1read01>...
> John Toliver wrote:
> > Thanks for the help. I ended up stumbling across this project in
> > mozdev that does exactly this but in the mozilla flavor. here is the
> > link
> >
> > http://maf.mozdev.org/index.html
> >
> > just in case someone else stumbles across this thread. thanks for the
> > help. the reason I wanted to go ahead and use the format was to have
> > a way to save my emails om my hard drive. I only want certain emails
> > for offline use but for the most part I think it's easier to manage
> > them all online through web mail plus it takes more overhhead off my
> > cpu. this format preserves the files exactly as I would want to see
> > them off line and it does it without much fuss. That way even if I
> > were using a p166 or slower ishould have minimal problems and be able
> > to get done what I needed.
> >

> Oh, I guess I didn't understand your original post. I could have
> pointed you to that link in my post, but I was under the assumption that
> you wanted to be able to /view/ MS ".mht" files -- not /create/
> "something that is similar in nature to .mht files; something that
> provides the same functionality, but able to use with Mozilla" Sorry, I
> misunderstood what you were asking.

VoltageSpike VoltageSpike is offline
Junior Member

Because this thread ranks high in certain google searches for .mht and Firefox, thought I would offer this update.

FireFox 2.0 will open .mht files. So for example, if someone sends me a .mht file, I can open it up with Firefox.

FireFox 2 doesn't allow me to save in .mht format. There is an add-in called MAF (Mozilla Archive Format) for doing this, but it does not currently work in Firefox 2. There are some tricky workarounds to fool Firefox and run MAF, but what a pain. Hopefully this will be updated sometime soon to work with Firefox 2.

But to answer the original question: Firefox 2 will open .mht files, based on my experience.

Thanks,

VS

Email Encryption developer

Last edited by VoltageSpike; 07-25-2007 at 04:36 PM..

balkaster balkaster is offline
Junior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VoltageSpike
FireFox 2.0 will open .mht files. So for example, if someone sends me a .mht file, I can open it up with Firefox.
I believe you're mistaken. I have never had any luck getting Firefox to open MHT files. To test your claim, I created an MHT in IE, then tried to open it in Firefox 2.0.0.6 (the latest version as of this posting). Firefox responded as if I was attempting to download a file that it couldn't handle; my only option was to open in IE or save. It doesn't matter if you drag and drop the MHT on the Firefox icon, drop it on an open Firefox window, or attempt to open from the "File|Open File..." command. You get the same thing every time.

If you really are able to open an MHT file in Firefox 2, you must have some extension present that enables this. It's not native to the browser. Mozilla was working on a MAF extension that would open and create MHT compatible files, but that was back in 2004, and I don't think it was ever made public.

[EDIT] That said, I continued to research this and found several dozen forum posts about the Firefox 1.5 compatible MAF extension that suggest that it a) doesn't draw MHT files correctly, reducing the text to plain ASCII text without formatting, and b) the MAF files are not compatible with IE. I then found this: http://www.mediafire.com/?fgn3zx4ktzd. This is a third party reworking of MAF for Firefox 2. The images and CSS seem to be working, but my test file doesn't contain or reference scripts. The important thing is that it does enable Firefox 2 to open MHT. I haven't tested it in creating files, however. But the very fact that this extension exists proves my earlier statement: you are mistaken, Firefox 2 does not natively support MHT.

Last edited by balkaster; 08-07-2007 at 10:46 PM..

sebastian___ sebastian___ is offline
Junior Member

If it's a proprietary format, how come the Opera browser can open and save the MHT format. And many times can do that better than IE. And for many years..