Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Windows.open source code

Windows.open source code

Info_Junkie

On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.

<script language="JavaScript">
<!--

function SymError()
{
return true;
}

window.onerror = SymError;

var SymRealWinOpen = window.open;

function SymWinOpen(url, name, attributes)
{
return (new Object());
}

window.open = SymWinOpen;

//-->
</script>

Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have. Does it
control the opening of new windows when a user clicks on a newsgroup
message.

Thanks.

Info_Junkie

Richard Cornford

Info_Junkie wrote:
> On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
> comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.
>
> <script language="JavaScript">
> <!--
>
> function SymError()

<snip>
> Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have.

<snip>

No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
arrive at your machine.

Richard.

Info_Junkie

Richard Cornford wrote:
> Info_Junkie wrote:
> > On most EVERY commercial site (including the pages on
> > comp.lang.javascript) I find the following code, word for word.
> >
> > <script language="JavaScript">
> > <!--
> >
> > function SymError()

> <snip>
> > Is this some "standard" code that every Web page should have.

> <snip>
>
> No, it is code inserted by Norton internet security as the web pages
> arrive at your machine.
>
> Richard.

Good to know. Norton is working to keep me safe. Has so far. What is
the function of the code? Thanks for the info

Info_Junkie