Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

FAQ server

FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

Security means that by default you can't. In a more restricted
enviroment, there are options. For example, using LiveConnect
to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
in IE. Check

http://groups.google.com/

for previous posts on the
subject.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/library/en...FileSystem.asp

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/j...pptowin32.html

===
comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

Randy Webb

FAQ server said the following on 8/15/2006 7:00 PM:
> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>
> Security means that by default you can't. In a more restricted
> enviroment, there are options. For example, using LiveConnect
> to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
> in IE. Check
>
> http://groups.google.com/

Would that URL be better served as a search URL to either
comp.lang.javascript or the microsoft.public.scripting.jscript
Newsgroups with a meaningful search phrase to return appropriate results?

--
Randy

Robert

FAQ server wrote:
> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
> ===
> Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
> goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
> the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
> comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
> The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.

May I ask what is the point of sending indiviual random topics?
Why not post the complete FAQ once a month or week?

Plus I found this topic to be kinda weak.

Randy Webb

Robert said the following on 8/16/2006 7:37 AM:
> FAQ server wrote:
>> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>> ===
>> Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their goal
>> is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to the
>> community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
>> comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
>> The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
>>

> May I ask what is the point of sending indiviual random topics?

They aren't random topics, it is posting one topic a day in order. The
purpose is to allow people to see a single topic and if there are
questions/corrections then it can be done one topic at a time.

> Why not post the complete FAQ once a month or week?

I thought it was going to be this style posting (one a day) plus the
weekly postings.

> Plus I found this topic to be kinda weak.

In what way? That is why it was posted one topic at the time. Would you
have noticed this entry and thought it weak if it had been posted as
part of the entire FAQ?

--
Randy

Dr John Stockton

JRS: In article <44e251fc$0$15794$(E-Mail Removed)>, dated Tue,
15 Aug 2006 23:00:02 remote, seen in news:comp.lang.javascript, FAQ
server <(E-Mail Removed)> posted :

>FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>
>Security means that by default you can't. In a more restricted
>enviroment, there are options. For example, using LiveConnect
>to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
>in IE.

If this piecemeal posting is to continue, it may be well to adjust some
of the entries so that they stand better on their own.

Security means that by default a Web browser cannot. In a more
restricted environment, there are options. For example, using
LiveConnect to connect to Java with Netscape, using the
FileSystemObject in IE, and using javascript in WSH.

The spelling error should in any case be fixed; while the intent is
obvious to a human, the entry would be missed by a CtrlF search for the
word.

Robert Inder

> Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:37:27 +0200
> Subject: Re: FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

> FAQ server wrote:
>> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>> ===
>> Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
>> goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
>> the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
>> comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
>> The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
>>

> May I ask what is the point of sending indiviual random topics?

To get people to look at them? Review them?

> Why not post the complete FAQ once a month or week?

Because I, at least, would see a big FAQ, think "that's not relevant
to my immediate needs" and move on.

One topic? I'll scan it, see what it says, maybe react...

I notice others have...

> Plus I found this topic to be kinda weak.

Not sure what you mean.

But being "weak" doesn't stop a question being frequently asked...

Robert.

--
|_) _ |_ _ ._ |- | So what? It's easier for me, so I'll do it!
| \(_)|_)(-'| |_ |

Robert

Randy Webb wrote:
> Robert said the following on 8/16/2006 7:37 AM:
>
>> FAQ server wrote:

>>> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>>> ===
>>> Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
>>> goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
>>> the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
>>> comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
>>> The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
>>>

>> May I ask what is the point of sending indiviual random topics?

> They aren't random topics, it is posting one topic a day in order. The
> purpose is to allow people to see a single topic and if there are
> questions/corrections then it can be done one topic at a time.

Discussions about the one topic does have it advantages in that the
aditional information in that thread can be incorporated into the FAQ
and be part of the next post. Has something been agreed on this? I'm
just afraid that we will get the same discussions about a certain topic
every time it is posted and that the person who is responsible for the
FAQ does not look at the responses on the FAQ topic every day, which I
understand, but is important in this form.

If the FAQ were only posted once a week or month, then at least it would
be easier for the FAQ maintainer to keep an eye on the responses and
update the FAQ.

>> Why not post the complete FAQ once a month or week?

> I thought it was going to be this style posting (one a day) plus the
> weekly postings.

That would be good.

>> Plus I found this topic to be kinda weak.

> In what way? That is why it was posted one topic at the time. Would you
> have noticed this entry and thought it weak if it had been posted as
> part of the entire FAQ?

Well in this case the FAQ hardly answers anything.
It doesn't really anwer why it can't. It does not state the versions of
Netscape or IE for which there are options. Even if there are no options
for other major browsers it would be nice to mention that.
A brief example of LiveConnect and FileSystemObject would be good for a
FAQ as well.

But then it gives a link to google groups search and to previous
discussions. If those discussions are important than the conclusions of
those discussions should be part of the FAQ.

I'm sorry, but for these reasons I thought it was weak.

Robert

Robert Inder wrote:

> > Date: Wed, 16 Aug 2006 13:37:27 +0200
> > Subject: Re: FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

> > FAQ server wrote:
> >> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
> >> ===
> >> Postings such as this are automatically sent once a day. Their
> >> goal is to answer repeated questions, and to offer the content to
> >> the community for continuous evaluation/improvement. The complete
> >> comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at http://www.jibbering.com/faq/.
> >> The FAQ workers are a group of volunteers.
> >>

> > May I ask what is the point of sending indiviual random topics?

> To get people to look at them? Review them?

And has something been agreed on that the FAQ maintainer reads the

> > Why not post the complete FAQ once a month or week?

> Because I, at least, would see a big FAQ, think "that's not relevant
> to my immediate needs" and move on.

Okay.... but I would like to be able to see the FAQ once a week or month
and see which new FAQ entries has been added and read those.

> Not sure what you mean.
>
> But being "weak" doesn't stop a question being frequently asked...

Check my answer for Randy for this.