Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > comp.lang.javascript FAQ question

comp.lang.javascript FAQ question

Ray

Bart Van der Donck wrote:
> VK wrote:

<snip>
> Why not making a FAQ entry of that "What is the history of the
> comp.lang.javascript FAQ ?"

Heck yeah. I'm new in c.l.j. and I'm curious what's up with this FAQ
thing and VK. Are his entries often inaccurate, and therefore mislead
JS newbies like me, or what?

<snip>

Richard Cornford

Ray wrote:
<snip>
> ... VK. Are his entries often inaccurate, and therefore mislead
> JS newbies like me, or what?

"Often inaccurate" would be an understatement. He doesn't understand
what the code he writes himself actually does, does not know how
javascript should be expected to behave (and has many fictional notions
of what should be happening), has a superficial understanding of (a
few) browser DOMs (and believes many things that are not the case) and
has a habit of addressing "issues" (many of which are figments of his
own imagination) by taking the worst possible approach available. He
cannot be corrected, even by repeated detailed technical explanation,
because he is absolutely convinced that his understanding, though
unique, is already correct and true, and repeatedly being demonstrated
wrong does not hint to him that his self confidence is misplaced.

Richard.

Ray

Richard Cornford wrote:
> "Often inaccurate" would be an understatement. He doesn't understand
> what the code he writes himself actually does, does not know how
> javascript should be expected to behave (and has many fictional notions
> of what should be happening), has a superficial understanding of (a
> few) browser DOMs (and believes many things that are not the case) and
> has a habit of addressing "issues" (many of which are figments of his
> own imagination) by taking the worst possible approach available. He
> cannot be corrected, even by repeated detailed technical explanation,
> because he is absolutely convinced that his understanding, though
> unique, is already correct and true, and repeatedly being demonstrated
> wrong does not hint to him that his self confidence is misplaced.

Sounds like a bloody dangerous poster, especially for those new to
JavaScript. Thanks for the warning, Richard!

> Richard.

Richard Cornford

Ray wrote:
> Richard Cornford wrote:
>> "Often inaccurate" would be an understatement. ...

<snip>
> Sounds like a bloody dangerous poster, especially for those new to
> JavaScript. ...

Yes, and doubly harmful because of the amount of time and effort
expended trying to mitigate the damage he does, that could otherwise be
directed more productivly.

Richard.

VK

Ray wrote:
> Heck yeah. I'm new in c.l.j. and I'm curious what's up with this FAQ
> thing and VK. Are his entries often inaccurate, and therefore mislead
> JS newbies like me, or what?

<OT>
If you are new in c.l.j. than it would be more appropriate IMHO to
silently listen for people who are posting here for years - rather than
discuss from the sky blue their personalities.
If you have doubts about the factual side of the FAQ posting history I
provided in this thread, you are welcome to search the archives by
yourselve. If any errors are found, I will be glad to be pointed out.
If you personally had a problem with my advise to you, please provide a
link. I do not recall of helping you, but I do not remember each and
every post.
Untill then you are asked to be so kind to shut up on the off-topic
subjects.
</OT>

Back to the topic of this thread:

comp.lang.javascript FAQ posting does not work for several months now.
It never happened before since the group was created in 1996.
The current FAQ maintainer (Richard Cornford) did not make a thing to
solve the situation: his spaceous and mainly nasty OT revelations of
the kind one can see here do no help obviously.

Mr. Bart Van der Donck has a working program and Usenet account to
restore the posting.

If Mr. Bart Van der Donck is willing to donate his time for that, I'm
voting YES for him. I'm ready to donate my time either but if my
candidature is so bad, I'm even not proposing it.

If you want that Mr. Bart Van der Donck restored FAQ posting then vote
YES in this thread.

If you don't want to restore FAQ posting then vote NO.

If you don't give a damn about this problem then vote ABSTAIN (or
better yet do not vote at all).

If you have nothing to say on the subject then be quiet (the same goes
to any other potential OT posters).

Anyone (including new posters) is welcome to vote on the subject.

Richard Cornford

VK wrote:
<snip>
> <OT>

<snip>
> Untill then you are asked to be so kind to shut up on the
> off-topic subjects.
> </OT>
>
> Back to the topic of this thread:

<snip>

How often is it going to be necessary to tell you; threads do not have
topics, they have subjects, which do not limit/restrict the matters
discussed in the thread? Things that are off topic can only be off
topic for the group as a whole. At the topic for the group is
javascript the discussion of poor sources of information on javascript
certainly is on topic for the group.

Richard.

Bart Van der Donck

VK wrote:

> [...]
> If Mr. Bart Van der Donck is willing to donate his time for that, he
> has my vote YES in advance.

Yes, I'm willing to follow up the daily FAQ postings. I think it will
probably take not so much time. When the FAQ gets updated, the only
requirement would be to keep the XML's main structure:

<FAQ>
<TITLE>comp.lang.javascript FAQ</TITLE>
<CONTENTS>
<CONTENT TITLE="chapter name">
<CONTENT TITLE="entry title">
text with <additional> </tags> in it
</CONTENT>
...more entries in the same chapter...
</CONTENT>
...more chapters with their entries...
</CONTENTS>
</FAQ>

I think this should normally be no problem; it was my intention to make
this as flexible as possible towards the future.

--
Bart

Bart Van der Donck

Ray wrote:

> Sounds like a bloody dangerous poster, especially for those new to
> JavaScript. Thanks for the warning, Richard!

I think you should relativise such statements a bit. Inaccurate
information is mostly quickly corrected in this newsgroup, and anyone
makes a mistake now and then (don't we all). But "bloody dangerous
poster" is not really the word for that

But yes, the technical expertise of Richard's articles is among the
best I've ever seen, but they do require quite some javascript
knowledge beforehand to well understand. I think their outstanding
technical value does not always reflect their educational value.

--
Bart

Ray

VK wrote:
> Ray wrote:
> > Heck yeah. I'm new in c.l.j. and I'm curious what's up with this FAQ
> > thing and VK. Are his entries often inaccurate, and therefore mislead
> > JS newbies like me, or what?

> <OT>
> If you are new in c.l.j. than it would be more appropriate IMHO to
> silently listen for people who are posting here for years - rather than
> discuss from the sky blue their personalities.

I am new to JavaScript and c.l.j., therefore it is important for me and
other JS newbies like me to know which posters we can trust to be
knowledgeable and won't mislead us while we're still solidifying our
foundation in the language.

> If you have doubts about the factual side of the FAQ posting history I
> provided in this thread, you are welcome to search the archives by
> yourselve. If any errors are found, I will be glad to be pointed out.

I did. I found your Vector sample code. It was
so....................................... advanced I got speechless--as
such I can't point anything out, sorry.

> If you personally had a problem with my advise to you, please provide a
> link. I do not recall of helping you, but I do not remember each and
> every post.

Nope, of course I don't have any problem with your advice to me since
you haven't given me any. But obviously your (future, if any) advice
will be way too............................................. advanced,
for me, so that's probably alright too.

> Untill then you are asked to be so kind to shut up on the off-topic
> subjects.

Yes Sensei!!!

> </OT>

Ray

Bart Van der Donck wrote:
> Ray wrote:
>
> > Sounds like a bloody dangerous poster, especially for those new to
> > JavaScript. Thanks for the warning, Richard!

> I think you should relativise such statements a bit. Inaccurate
> information is mostly quickly corrected in this newsgroup, and anyone
> makes a mistake now and then (don't we all). But "bloody dangerous
> poster" is not really the word for that

Hi Bart,

I'm speaking from my p.o.v. really (which is perhaps not shared by
other newbies, if I may add). I'm new to JavaScript and I'm using it
not as a hobby but in a project with a very, very tight deadline. As
such, a poster like that is dangerous to me, especially because at this
stage I can't always tell whether something is true or not, and I
really can't afford to be misled.

Yes, of course everybody makes mistakes But I am thankful that I get
informed early on on who to listen to... and who not to listen to.

> But yes, the technical expertise of Richard's articles is among the
> best I've ever seen, but they do require quite some javascript
> knowledge beforehand to well understand. I think their outstanding
> technical value does not always reflect their educational value.

Thanks for pointing that out!

Cheers
Ray