Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > status bar (window.status) not working in Netscape 8.1

status bar (window.status) not working in Netscape 8.1

topmind

I couldn't get the status bar to work in Netscape 8.1. The JavaScript
settings are set to allow it, but it just ain't no work.

Here is a Plain Jane test script. I added an Alert box to make sure the
function was getting called. Am I missing something obvious? It works
in IE just fine.

<head>
<title>Status Bar Test</title>
<script language="JavaScript">
function myFunc() {
window.status='teeeeest';
alert('Sanity check');
return(true);
}
</script>
</head>

<form>

<input type="button" value="test" onclick="return myFunc();">

</form>

Thanks, -T-

Bart Van der Donck

topmind wrote:

> I couldn't get the status bar to work in Netscape 8.1. The JavaScript
> settings are set to allow it, but it just ain't no work.
> Here is a Plain Jane test script. I added an Alert box to make sure the
> function was getting called. Am I missing something obvious? It works
> in IE just fine.
> [...]

NS/FF does not allow scripts to change the status bar text by default.

In Firefox 1.0.4, this feature can be enabled like this:
'Tools' > 'Options' > 'Web features' > 'Advanced' (next to checkbox
'Enable JavaScript'), and then check 'Allow scripts to change status
bar text'.

The NS & FF>1.0.4 procedures should be similar.

Hope this helps,

--
Bart