Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > AJAX, PHP, Mysql simple query example anyone?

AJAX, PHP, Mysql simple query example anyone?

Ivan Marsh

Hey Folks,

I'm having a heck of a time wrapping mind around AJAX.

Anyone know of a simple, straight-forward example for pulling a simple
query from mysql with PHP using AJAX?

As I understand it I need a PHP script that pulls the query and dumps the
data into XML format, that is called by triggering a javascript event that
reads that file with XMLhttprequest.

Is there a cross-browser way of doing this or do I have to detect whether
I'm using IE or Mozilla?

A good example that doesn't look like rocket science would be nice.

-thx

Feingold-Obama '08 - Because the Constitution isn't history,
It's the law.

Mitja Trampus

Ivan Marsh wrote:
> I'm having a heck of a time wrapping mind around AJAX.
> A good example that doesn't look like rocket science would be nice.

http://www.google.com/search?q=ajax%20hello%20world ?

AlexVN

Ivan Marsh wrote:
> As I understand it I need a PHP script that pulls the query and dumps the
> data into XML format, that is called by triggering a javascript event that
> reads that file with XMLhttprequest.

Ivan,

The particular AJAX program actually consists of two parts: server and
client.
Server part is a PHP script that returns the array of data in XML,
JSON, or plain text (or any other you like) format. Client part sends
the request for the data using <IFRAME>, <script> tags or
xmlhttprequest object. Consider using dojotoolkit.org for client part
and just a plain text data format for server part.

Sincerely,
Alexander
http://www.alexatnet.com/

totalstranger

On or about 6/21/2006 5:15 PM, it came to pass that Ivan Marsh wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm having a heck of a time wrapping mind around AJAX.
>
> Anyone know of a simple, straight-forward example for pulling a simple
> query from mysql with PHP using AJAX?
>
> As I understand it I need a PHP script that pulls the query and dumps the
> data into XML format, that is called by triggering a javascript event that
> reads that file with XMLhttprequest.
>
> Is there a cross-browser way of doing this or do I have to detect whether
> I'm using IE or Mozilla?
>
> A good example that doesn't look like rocket science would be nice.
>
> -thx

Take a look here. http://www.modernmethod.com/sajax/
Debugging AJAX code can be a bit of an issue but SAJAX does have some
capabilities that do help.

It works for me in IE, Firefox and Opera. Actually IMHO and I will may
get flamed for this by AJAX purists, I find the easiest method of using
this technology is to build Javascript in my PHP code, then Javascript
EVAL the result on the client. My example is pulled from a much larger
script.

Example: Update a select field. Let's assume I have a select box that I
want to contain selected venues/clubs etc from a large MySql table. The
SAJAX database search is triggered when 3 or more characters are keyed
into the search field, updating the Select field. Note: due to problems
with IE it is necessary to replace the complete Select HTML definition
or it wont work.

On the client side I have the following fields as part of a form

<INPUT TYPE="TEXT" id="Venue_Search" size="25" value="partial/full
venue" autocomplete="off" onkeyup="Venuesearch(this.value)"
onfocus="Venuesearch(this.value)" onblur="VenueReset(this.value)">

<SPAN><select style='width:282px' id='Venue_Id' Name='Venue_Id'><OPTION
VALUE=''></select></SPAN>

On the client side I have the following Javascript(SAJAX support scripts
not shown)

function show_result(result)
{
eval(result)
}

function Venuesearch ($Likedata)
{
//executes VenueLook on the server
$Likedata=$Likedata.replace(/\s*$/, ""); //dump trailing spaces
$Likedata=$Likedata.replace(/^\s*/, ""); //dump leading spaces
if ($Likedata == "partial/full venue")
document.getElementById('Venue_Search').value = ""
else
if ($Likedata.length > 2)
{
sajax_request_type = 'POST'
x_VenueLook(
$Likedata,
show_result);
}
}

function VenueReset ($Likedata)
{
$Likedata=$Likedata.replace(/\s*$/, ""); //dump trailing spaces
$Likedata=$Likedata.replace(/^\s*/, ""); //dump leading spaces
if ($Likedata == "")
document.getElementById('Venue_Search').value = "partial/full venue"
}

On the Server side I have the following PHP code

function VenueLook()
{
// Updates the Span around the select due to IE bug, including IE7
// Put locations starting with search argument first in select list
$Like = $_POST['rsargs'][0];
$query = "SELECT Id, Name, City, State, IF (`Name` LIKE '". $Like . "%',
'1', '2') AS Order_alias FROM `Venue` WHERE `Name` LIKE '%" . $Like .
"%' ORDER BY Order_alias, Name ASC";
$result = mysql_query( $query )
or die('Result is no good: ' . mysql_error());
$text= "<select style='width:282px' id='Venue_Id'
Name='Venue_Id'><OPTION VALUE=''>". mysql_num_rows($result) ."
Venues</option>";
while($i = mysql_fetch_row($result))
{
if (mysql_num_rows($result) == 1)
$text.= "<OPTION SELECTED VALUE='" . $i[0] . "'>" . $i[1] . " (".
$i[2] . " " . $i[3] . ")</option>";
else
$text.= "<OPTION VALUE='" . $i[0] . "'>" . $i[1] . " (". $i[2] . " " .
$i[3] . ")</option>";
}
$text.= "</select>";
//return $text as Javascript which is executed by the
//show_result script on the client side
return "document.getElementById('Venue_Id').parentNode.in nerHTML
=\"".$text."\";
";
}

sajax_init();
#$sajax_debug_mode = 1;
sajax_export("VenueLook");
sajax_handle_client_request();

Erwin Moller

Ivan Marsh wrote:

> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm having a heck of a time wrapping mind around AJAX.
>
> Anyone know of a simple, straight-forward example for pulling a simple
> query from mysql with PHP using AJAX?

Hi Ivan,

AJAX has nothing to do with the query to the database.
Just try to call your script directly from your browser, with the right
QUERYstring, and see the result in your browser.
If that works allright, then use AJAX.

eg, first try:
http://www.example.com/getusername.php?userid=12

> As I understand it I need a PHP script that pulls the query and dumps the
> data into XML format, that is called by triggering a javascript event that
> reads that file with XMLhttprequest.
>
> Is there a cross-browser way of doing this or do I have to detect whether
> I'm using IE or Mozilla?
>
> A good example that doesn't look like rocket science would be nice.

A great startingpoint for AJAX:
www.w3schools.com
click on AJAX.
It has a crossbrowser approach.
Just study the example, build them yourself with a simple example, then do
the real job.

Good luck.

Regard,
Erwin Moller

> -thx

wmasterj

A great tutorial for this is:

http://www-128.ibm.com/developerwork...ikiaMasterAJAX

i think u need to register, but thats a small prize, this tutorial
series of 5 parts gives u solid knowledge about the subject.

HC

Hi Ivan,

Here's the code I've been working with. I do things a little bit
differently from what you're asking. Instead of dumping the data in XML
format, I have my PHP script print out Javascript that is evaluated by
the browser. This works well for webapps.

The code is fairly well commented, but feel free to post back if you
have any questions, or comments of your own

http://pastebin.com/726871

-HC

Ivan Marsh wrote:
> Hey Folks,
>
> I'm having a heck of a time wrapping mind around AJAX.
>
> Anyone know of a simple, straight-forward example for pulling a simple
> query from mysql with PHP using AJAX?
>
> As I understand it I need a PHP script that pulls the query and dumps the
> data into XML format, that is called by triggering a javascript event that
> reads that file with XMLhttprequest.
>
> Is there a cross-browser way of doing this or do I have to detect whether
> I'm using IE or Mozilla?
>
> A good example that doesn't look like rocket science would be nice.
>
> -thx

mysql with 1.9.2 query: wrong argument tile Mysql (expected Struct) TypeError Love4llamas Ruby 0 10-13-2011 03:22 AM
perl-mysql example Sam Perl Misc 2 11-10-2005 07:41 PM
MySQL application example qwweeeit@yahoo.it Python 0 05-13-2005 08:28 PM
'example.com' == 'example.com.' => false... is this intended? Sam Roberts Ruby 15 02-07-2005 04:36 PM
Java and MySql program example ? Bjornar Java 3 01-14-2004 06:26 PM

Advertisments