Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > ASP .Net > Need "graffiti-type" graphic password

Need "graffiti-type" graphic password

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

Hello all,

Not sure what to call it, but when you go to some sites, you are forced to
retype a graphic (looks like graffiti) password to continue. I presume this
is to thwart bots, DOS attacks, etc. I would like to do the same thing for
one of my sites.

Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's a
successful "standard" for doing it?

Thanks,

Bill

Karl Seguin

You presume correctly.

A google search for "asp.net captchas" should help you find what you are
after...
here's one of many results you'll find:
http://codeproject.com/aspnet/CaptchaControl.asp

Karl

--
MY ASP.Net tutorials
http://www.openmymind.net/

"Bill Borg" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Hello all,
>
> Not sure what to call it, but when you go to some sites, you are forced to
> retype a graphic (looks like graffiti) password to continue. I presume

this
> is to thwart bots, DOS attacks, etc. I would like to do the same thing for
> one of my sites.
>
> Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's

> successful "standard" for doing it?
>
> Thanks,
>
> Bill

darrel

It's called a 'catchpa' http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Captcha

> I presume this
> is to thwart bots

That's the idea, though it's been shown that some of the basic catchpa
systems have been 'bot readable' at something like a 90% rate. So, it's not
100% secure.

http://www.cs.berkeley.edu/%7Emori/gimpy/gimpy.html

Also, it can introduce a fairly large accessibility hurdle, so that needs to
be weighed against the pros.

> Does anybody know how to generate a password like this, and/or if there's

> successful "standard" for doing it?

No standard, but google should point you in the right direction:

http://www.google.com/search?q=catchpa

I have seen component packages that you can install that offer this, so
there may very well be an off-the-shelf solution that would work for you.

-Darrel

=?Utf-8?B?QmlsbCBCb3Jn?=

Exactly what I need--thank you both.