Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > onmouseover only fires on top layer

onmouseover only fires on top layer

wizard04frms@hotmail.com

I'm trying to drag one layer over an image on the layer below it - that
part works fine - and have the image fire its onmouseover event (e.g.,
an alert) when I drag the top layer over it. It appears that events
only fire for the top layer, so I never get that alert. Is there a way
to make the onmouseover event happen no matter what the element's
z-index is?

Bart Van der Donck

> I'm trying to drag one layer over an image on the layer below it - that
> part works fine - and have the image fire its onmouseover event (e.g.,
> an alert) when I drag the top layer over it. It appears that events
> only fire for the top layer, so I never get that alert. Is there a way
> to make the onmouseover event happen no matter what the element's
> z-index is?

I don't believe this is possible. But you could create a transparent
GIF with the highest z-index above your current top layer, and then add
the event to that image. Alternatively, you could set an identical
onmouseover-event for both images (that is, if the one fully overlaps
the second).

Hope this helps,

--
Bart