Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Deleting a preloaded image from memory

Deleting a preloaded image from memory

Matt Kruse

Randy Webb wrote:
> I have been plonked and un-plonked by him so many times I call myself
> the President of the "Thomas called me a Troll" club.

If you would just read ECMA Specification version 15.43.24.5 section 5,
paragraph 4, you would know why.

Score adjusted

--
Matt Kruse
http://www.JavascriptToolbox.com

John W. Kennedy

Lasse Reichstein Nielsen wrote:
> "Bart Van der Donck" <(E-Mail Removed)> writes:
>
>> I'm not aware of any system that doesn't store RAM as binary digits,
>> and I'm not sure if this is überhaupt possible.

> It's possible, and there were attempts in the early days of computers
> to build decimal based computers. It just turned out to be too fragile.
> Distinguishing between ten levels of voltage was more errorprone than
> just between "on" and "off".
>
> I believe both the Eniac and the Mark I were decimal.

The ASSC ("Mark I") was electromechanical, and used odometer-like wheels.

IBM, at least, never made a decimal computer based on voltage
differences. All IBM decimal computers used binary encodings, including:

BCD: 0000 through 1001.
Excess-3: 0011 through 1100
Biquinary: five bits, only one 1, plus two bits, only one 1
Three-of-five: five bits, three 1, and two 0

IBM mainframes still normally use decimal arithmetic for financial
calculations, although binary is used for addressing and scientific
number crunching.

One Russian computer of the 50's used ternary (base-3).

--
John W. Kennedy
"The blind rulers of Logres

Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn

Bart Van der Donck wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> [...]
>> You do not look very smart ignoring this very simple fact repeatedly,
>> while rambling and patronizing knowledgeable people about quite
>> irrelevant possible implementations of data storage in hardware.
>> Nuff said.

> Play the ball, not the person, Thomas.

I am playing the ball. I am criticizing (your) evading behavior in
discussions that can be perceived as trolling, as it tries to keep
off-topic discussions alive by posting irrelevant facts and later
stating them as irrelevant repeatedly, while ignoring the real facts
presented, and not having the potential to provide a noticeable gain
to anyone (learning about what is troll behavior aside).

PointedEars
--
When the power of love overcomes the love
of power, the world will know peace.