Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Computing > Firefox > Firefox newbie questions

Firefox newbie questions

William W. Plummer

Brian wrote:

> marcel wrote:
>
>> On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 14:46:17 -0400, Brian <home@127.0.0.1> wrote:
>>

>>> <-- Continuing the top-posting for consistency -->
>>>

>> snip
>>
>> Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
>> it
>> Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
>> NewsGroups...
>> Cheers.
>> marcel

> I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other people
> hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from group to group.

Personally, I would like Mozilla delete all prior messages that have
been quoted in a reply post with either top- or bottom-posting. OR, a
reply should not quote any of the prior messages because they are still
available in the newsgroup. Top/bottom is not an issue in the latter case.

Moz Champion

William W. Plummer wrote:

> Brian wrote:
>
>> marcel wrote:

>>> snip
>>>
>>> Oops very sorry Brian I didn't paid attention... Promise not to redo
>>> it
>>> Rmk: this question on top/bottom posting depend heavily on
>>> NewsGroups...
>>> Cheers.
>>> marcel

>> I just think it's funny. It makes no sense to me, but other
>> people hate bottom-posting. You are correct about it varying from
>> group to group.
>>

> Personally, I would like Mozilla delete all prior messages that have
> been quoted in a reply post with either top- or bottom-posting. OR, a
> reply should not quote any of the prior messages because they are still
> available in the newsgroup. Top/bottom is not an issue in the latter
> case.

Um, in that case, if you delete all previous messages, then I guess you
can answer all the questions <g>. Having the previous messages quoted
saves me from re-reading every single thread when I get back to it, if I
am not sure if X has been tried, or X set, or whatever, I can simply
look in the quoated material for it. Without quoting, I would be forced
to re-read each and every thread top to bottom, again and again, just to
familiarize myself with the question at hand

Remember, your specific question is known to you, but others dont have
that advantage, we cant SEE the problem or your settings, so we depend
on people telling us whats what. When someone comes in to a group (or
returns to it) they need some reminders as to what the question really
is, what has been discussed previously and so forth. Otherwise, in a
tech help group, you would be answering the same thing again and again,
ie. try doing this... you do, it doesnt work....somebody else comes
along and because they dont see you tried it (you didnt quote)... says
try doing this... exactly what you just did.

Quoting messages saves me for example from re-reading each and every
thread again and again. If you want to do that, please feel free, I dont.

Oh, and you can set Mozilla to not quote, or quote, as well as top or
bottom post.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Michael Hobbs

I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email client,
built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a friend, for
example.

"Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:cgf4lk$osc$(E-Mail Removed)...
> Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
> would like to ask a few questions please.
>
> 1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.
> 2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
> newsgroups?
> 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
> Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

it?

> AL

Moz Champion

Michael Hobbs wrote:

> I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email client,
> built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a friend, for
> example.
>

> "Alan" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:cgf4lk$osc$(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Having downloaded Mozilla Firefox, installed it as my default browser, I
>>would like to ask a few questions please.
>>
>>1. Is there a way of accessing email from within it.
>>2. What are the recommended alternatives to Outlook Express for email and
>>newsgroups?
>>3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
>>Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

> it?
>
>>AL

Um, if you like Firefox, then download and install Thunderbird as your
email client, they work (and are designed to) almost seamlessly together.
Or, you can opt for the Mozilla suite program, which gives you one
intregated program for browsing, email/news and chat.

And, since Firefox will work with any other mail client, if you want to
send a link, just copy it, fire up your mail program, paste it in and
send. Enhancement for a 'Send page' 'Send link' menu item have already
been made.

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Tom Accuosti

In news:lAuYc.40$(E-Mail Removed),
Michael Hobbs <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
| I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
| client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
| friend, for example.

Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that the
next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support, and
maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be cool? A
little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so that a
chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.

Tom

Moz Champion

Tom Accuosti wrote:

> In news:lAuYc.40$(E-Mail Removed),
> Michael Hobbs <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
> | I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
> | client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
> | friend, for example.
>
> Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that the
> next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support, and
> maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be cool? A
> little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so that a
> chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
>
> Tom

Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!

Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
HTML editor as well as chat.

Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of work
went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the browsing
component. Yes, along the way other items were added/modified so that
Firefox has become more than simply a cut down Mozilla, but the essence
is the same.

Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory to
enable the program to launch quicker.

Gee, exactly what you asked for!

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

Tom Accuosti

In news:6BKYc.276866$(E-Mail Removed),
Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
| Tom Accuosti wrote:
|
|| In news:lAuYc.40$(E-Mail Removed),
|| Michael Hobbs <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
||| I happen to like FireFox a great deal. It does need a simple email
||| client, built-in. Suppose for example I want to send a link to a
||| friend, for example.
|| Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that
|| the next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support,
|| and maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be
|| cool? A little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so
|| that a chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
|| Tom
|
| Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!
|
| Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
| HTML editor as well as chat.
|
| Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
| from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of
| work went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the
| browsing component. Yes, along the way other items were
| added/modified so that Firefox has become more than simply a cut down
| Mozilla, but the essence is the same.
|
| Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory
| to enable the program to launch quicker.
|
| Gee, exactly what you asked for!

Wow, that's like, so weird - it's like they read my mind or something!

I'd better get over to the Microsoft website and d/load it, huh?

Tom

Moz Champion

Tom Accuosti wrote:

> In news:6BKYc.276866$(E-Mail Removed),
> Moz Champion <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
> | Tom Accuosti wrote:
> |
> || In news:lAuYc.40$(E-Mail Removed),
> || Michael Hobbs <(E-Mail Removed)> informed us:
> || Yeah, that's been bugging me, too. In fact, I'd like to suggest that
> || the next version of FireFox add an email client, newsgroup support,
> || and maybe even a nice HTML editor. And you know what else would be
> || cool? A little chat program for IRC. And maybe they could make it so
> || that a chunk of it would sit in memory to make it load faster.
> || Tom
> |
> | Um, you already have such available, its called Mozilla!
> |
> | Mozilla 1.7.2 is available, which includes browsing, email/news and an
> | HTML editor as well as chat.
> |
> | Based on the same basic engine as Firefox, in fact, Firefox is derived
> | from Mozilla. The 'root' of Firefox was Mozilla, and then a lot of
> | work went into removing the parts of Mozilla that didnt apply to the
> | browsing component. Yes, along the way other items were
> | added/modified so that Firefox has become more than simply a cut down
> | Mozilla, but the essence is the same.
> |
> | Um, and Mozilla has Quicklaunch (for Windows) that resides in memory
> | to enable the program to launch quicker.
> |
> | Gee, exactly what you asked for!
>

> Wow, that's like, so weird - it's like they read my mind or something!
>
> I'd better get over to the Microsoft website and d/load it, huh?
>
> Tom

Um, no, you wont find it on Microsoft. Its brought to you by the same
people who brought you Firefox, Mozilla.org

In fact you get either Firefox or Mozilla from the same place!
http://www.mozilla.org/
You can also get Netscape 7.2, which is exactly the same as Mozilla
1.7.2 with Netscape Web Mail and a few other AOL tidbits added.
and no, you wont find that at Microsoft either
http://channels.netscape.com/ns/browsers/default.jsp

If you want a Porsche, dont go to a Lada dealership <g>

--
Mozilla Champion
UFAQ - http://www.UFAQ.org

EA

"Steve IA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
news:(E-Mail Removed)...
> Alan wrote:
> >

> > 3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
> > Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

it?

> > AL

> Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
> extension to "view in IE".

I have been looking for that extension what is it called please?

(Selling on ebay is one that doesn't work for
> me). I've read that some bank sites don't like FF either.
> Steve
> southiowa

Andreas

EA wrote:

> "Steve IA" <(E-Mail Removed)> wrote in message
> news:(E-Mail Removed)...
>
>>Alan wrote:
>>
>>>3. Having set-up Firefox as my default browser, do I now delete Internet
>>>Explorer from my system to alleviate the security issues associated with

> it?
>
>>>AL

>>Keep IE. Some sites don't work well with FF and you can download an
>>extension to "view in IE".

> I have been looking for that extension what is it called please?

[SNIP]

It's called View in IE or IE View http://ieview.mozdev.org/

Andreas

To contact me remove the NOSPAM