Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > browser screenshot

browser screenshot

Hello,

I'm looking for a way to get a screenshot of the current browser
(or current tab browser) from a javascript.
Any clue is welcome !

Thanx.

ASM

M a écrit :
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a way to get a screenshot of the current browser
> (or current tab browser) from a javascript.

on my idea : not possible

(perhaps some ActiveX in IE Windows ?)

cwdjrxyz

M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a way to get a screenshot of the current browser
> (or current tab browser) from a javascript.
> Any clue is welcome !

I have no idea how you could do this with javascript. Some OS and
browser combinations have a screen capture feature. However I like the
Gadwin Systems Print Screen that can be downloaded at
http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/?prnscr for free. It will capture a
whole screen, selected portion thereof, or a window. You can store the
capture, print the capture, email the capture etc. The program I
downloaded was easy to use and did not include any unwanted features
such as spyware.

ASM

cwdjrxyz a écrit :
> M wrote:
>
>>Hello,
>>
>>I'm looking for a way to get a screenshot of the current browser
>>(or current tab browser) from a javascript.
>>Any clue is welcome !

> However I like the
> Gadwin Systems Print Screen that can be downloaded at
> http://www.gadwin.com/printscreen/?prnscr for free.

Gadwin PrintScreen requires Microsoft ® Windows

Hello,

I found 2 firefox extensions doing such a thing :
- Fox Pager
- Reveal

I gave a look to the source code but I need some help to
find the location of the 'screenshot'.

Thanx.

The Magpie

M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I'm looking for a way to get a screenshot of the current browser
> (or current tab browser) from a javascript.
> Any clue is welcome !

Not going to happen, mate. Just not possible - for instance, I have a
small browser written in LISP which runs on a BBC Micro I keep for bits
of playing about with AI tools.

It happens that I don't allow Javascript in it, but the point is that a
browser *can* be written with pretty much any language, to run on pretty
much any equipment and there is no certainty that equipment (or
language) can do screenshots at all.

VK

M wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I found 2 firefox extensions doing such a thing :
> - Fox Pager

Fox Pager is a weak copy of
<https://addons.mozilla.org/extensions/moreinfo.php?id=1768&application=firefox>

> I gave a look to the source code but I need some help to
> find the location of the 'screenshot'.

You assume that a browser has access to the graphics context produced
by DOM while it doesn't. It is a purely OS domain.

Just prompt Windows users to press Alt+PrintScreen and paste into
Paint. Or write an AxtiveX like one at
<http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=240653>

For Linux users prompt as suggested here
<http://www.sb.fsu.edu/~xray/Manuals/ScreenCapture.html#_Toc125961444>

For MacOS users as suggested here
<http://www.tuaw.com/2005/03/02/mac-n00b-switcher-tip-print-screen/>

Feel free to look for other OS'.

Bluetooth issues screenshot Bible John Wireless Networking 5 02-18-2006 12:42 AM
Screenshot of web managed switch dkotschess@yahoo.com Cisco 3 11-13-2005 12:03 AM
Click to see full size screenshot Paul Aspinall ASP .Net 1 03-20-2005 12:40 AM
screenshot Aaron ASP .Net 4 10-05-2004 11:21 PM
java applet screenshot antoine c. Java 2 08-13-2004 04:28 AM

Advertisments