Velocity Reviews > Newsgroups > Programming > Javascript > Refreshing with frames.

Refreshing with frames.

ugo.matrangolo@gmail.com

Hi,

I'm trying to write a site to manage a scientific conference
(submitting paper, reviews, etc.) for a friend.

The application is almost finished but i have a little problem with its
page layout; The site is composed within a frame in which there are the
menu, the banner and the main page. Initially, you are an
unauthenticated user lurkin around; when you want to submit a paper you
have to authenticate using a login form. The tech used to auth the
users is JAAS that puts a Princiapal in session in order to indicate
the authenticated user.

It works but i have a little problem with the refresh of the pages in
the main frame. When the user authenticates only the subpage with the
login form is refreshed but the rest of the site (in the various
frames) is not! This is a problem beacuse I have to dinamycally reload
the menu in order to show the available option for the user. Currently
i cannot figure out how to do this simple refresh! Hitting an F5 is my
current workaround .

I think it must be a JS trick but i dont know js well enough.

Can anyone direct me trought the right and quickest solution ??

Thank in advance for every hints.

Bye,
Ugo.

Evertjan.

wrote on 03 mei 2006 in comp.lang.javascript:

> It works but i have a little problem with the refresh of the pages in
> the main frame. When the user authenticates only the subpage with the
> login form is refreshed but the rest of the site (in the various
> frames) is not!

You did not specify the serverside engine.

Under ASP you can [and should] set the result of authentication in a
session variable, and since all pages in your frames are under the same
session, their in-domain links have automagically access to that session
variable.

The concept of a clientside page being authenicated is strange to me.

Framing are also problematical in many other ways,
so why start a new site with frames, btw?

--
Evertjan.
The Netherlands.